• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Octave Pedal Picking Up Radio Station

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm working on a new board, which is home to a Lovepedal Believe and a Mayer Octavia TC. When I engage the Believe, my amp starts blaring a Journey song from a radio station. The Octavia does it as well, but the amount of interference is linked to the drive knob. With the Believe it is full-bore radio, louder than the guitar signal. I've used several other octave boxes on other boards and never had this happen. Any ideas?

From what I understand those old designs are prone to picking up radio stations in general. But could also be bad cables so if you have any extra laying around try swapping them out

Reactions: RGB

Isaac

Does anyone know where I can buy the believe? I’ve been looking for one everywhere and I can’t seem to find one:( please help me out!!! Thanks!

p.j.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm working on a new board, which is home to a Lovepedal Believe and a Mayer Octavia TC. When I engage the Believe, my amp starts blaring a Journey song from a radio station. The Octavia does it as well, but the amount of interference is linked to the drive knob. With the Believe it is full-bore radio, louder than the guitar signal. I've used several other octave boxes on other boards and never had this happen. Any ideas?
Does it make the D.J.'s voice sound like Alvin's?

I had this happen on a pedal once. It wasn't super loud. I just kept hearing inaudible voice mumbling and it was driving me crazy. Then I figured it out, cranked up the amp volume. Sounded like a Spanish radio station.

andrekp

Because of how they work, octave pedals are prone to this. They get the octave through a sort of hetrodyne process, which, conveniently, is also used in radios ( though that's not necessarily the issue). Your cables into these things need to be perfect. Sometimes cables that otherwise work, will pull in enough rf that a pedal probes to rectifying it, will. See if swapping cables does anything at all.

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
I have built a few Fuzz Face clones. My favorite "feature" is that if you turn the guitar volume all the way down with the pedal engaged, they consistently pick up a mexican radio station. I have been able to reduce the effect but is an artifact of the old designs. The guitar cable is the antenna. as Andrekp said, better cables will help.

woof*

Your house wiring acts as a super antenna, particularly with with older pedal circuits and conditions are just right. Try different patch cables and try a different outlet. If you gig a lot in different venues you will run across this at some point. A different circuit usually solves it.

Trending Topics