Octave pedal placement?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rasta, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Rasta

Rasta Member

The other day I borrowed an Octave pedal from a friend (Boss OC-2). I haven't had time to hook it up and see how it works just yet, but I was wondering if this the type of pedal that really should be in the effects loop (after the preamp, before the power) like a delay. Or is it the kind of thing where it's better to have it before the overdrive for a little extra 'oomph'?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I prefer my Octron before the preamp, and before any OD or fuzz pedals.

3. Rasta

Rasta Member

Thank you, sir! :)

4. Brien

Brien Member

The octave pedal needs a clean accurate pitch, so early in the chain is best. A comp in front of it may not hurt it-might even help it track.

5. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Before my ODs and distortion boxes!

6. Rasta

Rasta Member

I'm going to try it after my wah and before my Tube Screamers. That puts it before the compressor, too, but I might experiment with that a little bit. Knowing that it relies on a clean accurate pitch so I should put it early in the chain helps a lot. Thanks for the input, everyone!

7. geetarman

geetarman Supporting Member

Mine goes right after wah and before fuzz/od or compressor.

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Either or both. It just sounds different.

I have my OC-2 after my fuzz and one distortion, and before another fuzz/distortion and the amp's preamp. I've never tried it in the amp's loop though.

It tracks perfectly well after distortion, in fact possibly better. But remember that it's strictly monophonic - although it will handle played octaves and sometimes 5ths if you're careful - unless you like deliberately semi-controlled chaos, in which case try playing chords through it ;).

With it before distortion, you get a huge thick 'playing octaves' sound, which can easily get muddy if you overdo it, but is cool anyway :).

With it after distortion, the octaves actually remain clean, because they aren't pitch-shifted, they are in fact generated by the pedal, which is basically a very simple analog monosynth that locks onto the incoming note whether it's clean or not - it basically ignores everything except the actual note. So now you get distorted guitar layered with clean synth bass, like playing along to yourself with bass pedals :cool:. Like this, it will even track power chords reasonably well, because the distortion emphasizes the fundamental.

And if you really want killer fat synthy octave tones, try fuzz > OC-2 > heavy distortion :D. But watch your speakers...

Silenceborn and monkmiles like this.