Octave pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing well.
    Just a quick question for you pro's.
    1. What is the best octave/fuzz pedal for $150.00 or less (Proctavia type octave)
    2. I realize that you will use these pedals for certain songs or certain parts of songs, but in actuallity, just how often do you use this type of pedal?
    Thanks for you time and thoughts,
    Mass

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I was recently looking into octaves. First on my list was an Octron. Just an octave, no fuzz, And a few others... HBE UFO, Fulltone Ultimate octave, SIB Nick Nitro, and the Chicago Iron Octiva, (A little more pricey) . I ended up getting a straight fuzz ( Fulltone Soulbender) because of what you mentioned. I'm not gonna use the octave much. Of those I thought the HBE UFO looked great. If you want to try a Fuzz/octave on the cheap, get a Danelectro French toast. Like $30.00. It's a plastic piece of crap but it's said to be a clone of a Foxx Tone Machine. I don't know how close it is but I managed to get some good tones from it and it helped me figure out that I really don't need an octave.

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I know...thats what bugs me the most.
    I like to play alot of JIMI, but beyond that and even then, I am starting to wonder just how often I am going actually use it.
    Something inside tells me it will collect more dust than others.
    I have a FT '69 and a Baja Tech SI fuzz, so I have my fuzzes covered pretty much.
    I did that with a flanger not so long ago...spent some $$ on it, and it wound up becoming a decoration on my pedalboard pretty much.
    I just don't want to make that mistake again.
    Thanks,
    Mass

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I feel ya brother! I just spent $180.00 on an auttenuator and I just don't like it at all. Seems you get to reading reviews and such and you figure "this" will be the ticket to tone heaven! I'm learning to curb my gear passion. I have great guitars , a few great amps and recording gear, so when I start thinking I need somthing, I just go and play. I usually end up thinking " I don't know how it can sound better" . But if curiosity is killin ya, check into that Dano. It can be a fun pedal. Some guys love them. :)

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

The Foxrox Octron is the most versatile octave pedal I've tried. It can give a clean octave up or fuzzy, octavia style octave up, switchable via an internal switch. It also has a huge octave down which I never intended to use, but totally took me by surprise.

Hendrix, Beck and much, much more from the Octron. It's almost $200, but even this seems like value for money when you consider the tones this pedal is capable of.

7. shakti

shakti Member

Agreed on the Octron. I just bought a second one!!! And I even have the Octave in the CC2...

Anyway, I think you might be surprised how much you actually use the octave up. I got the CC2 thinking I'd use the vibe and fuzz the most, but the Octave ended up being the most used effect! Of course, it's fun for those Jimi and Jeff Beck imitations, but I actually found it fit in perfectly with my style of playing. It's a terrific thing to switch in for those dramatic effects during solos. I love to run it into a Rat-style OD/distortion, though it probably works well into most typed of OD. Gives it that mellow yet distinct upper "scream" that doesn't pierce eardrums.

The Octron is even more versatile. I've only used the cleanish octave up though since I also have the CC2, but you can set it up for an Octavia-style sound.

8. Teahead

Teahead Member

I have the CC2 also and find that the Octavia sound in the Octron (even with fully cranked internal gain & volume) is warmer and much cleaner, but with less output, still enough to get above unity, but nothing like the CC2's volume.

I prefer the Octron's octavia sound to the CC2's, it's a wonderful sound and it blends nicely with the octave down for synth sounds.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That's a big difference in Octaves....some are mainly just on or off (like the HBE UFO...this isn't a "bad thing" because it is a good sound, but you don't mix the octave with the straight signal at all) and some like the Octron are way more versatile allowing you to mix, to set the different levels of each octave.

With the latter you can add a "touch" of octave as well as the balls-to-the-wall full octave effect. This can make it a very useful effect when soloing and getting up around the 12th fret, EVEN using a clean sound...it can be set to add bite, or to sound like two guitars, or to just give it the extra whatever it needs to be more intense.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Octron seems cool, like a mid point between Octavia and POG...

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

I have to say, when I played the Octron beside the POG, the latter sounded like a toy and the former a tool.

POG's an awful lot noisier, the lower octave sounds processed compared to Octron's, upper octave of the POG is shrill and unmusical where Octron's upper is the complete opposite.

The only thing the POG has going for it is the ability to track chords, the low pass filter and the organ sounds.

12. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Hey...are good friend, Taron, has a Wolftone Helium for sale..right around that price point.
    I've heard one before and its VERY COOL. Lots of control over the octave and the fuzz. Doesn't run off a battery however (at least I think it doesn't).

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Chords are definitely a plus, I bought it for organ sounds... for octavia sounds, I will have to buy an Octavia pedal...
    That harshness is what the LPF is for, to make the top end sound less harsh... you get the filter set just right and it sounds warm & bubbly. Of course, if you bend strings or use vibrato is can only sound like a synth. They're really very different beasts....

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I got the MJM Roctavios for 159$ and I love it. It sounds good both before and after distortion/overdrive/fuzz.

You can listen to clips on MJM site.