octave pedals for pretending to be a bass live (looping)

feet

sexual visionary
never had one. never tried one. but it just occurred to me that it would be neat to try an octave pedal to lay down some basslines (as it were) when looping live. but i read that some are glitchy or have latency and i can't have something throwing off the timing or feel of the loops.

i don't need other fuzz, detuning or harmonizing or octave up or 12 string or organ-y stuff, but i guess it could be cool. but not at the expense of n accurate, convincing fake bass. extra credit if it is small, affordable or battery powered.

i could just make the loops ahead of time with an actual bass, but that feels like cheating.

MattLeFevers

My favorite for this is the EHX Micro POG. It sounds relatively "natural", and tracks really well.

If that's too pricey, a lot of people on here like the Mooer Tender Octaver, which is a knockoff of the Micro POG.

Stay away from the Boss OC-3, it does more of a synth bass sound than a natural bass sound. Unless that's something you're into.

benagain

Stay away from the Boss OC-3, it does more of a synth bass sound than a natural bass sound. Unless that's something you're into.

Interesting. I found the OC-3 does a very decent faux bass, but that may depend on rig. I actually thought the pog had a lot more synthy thing going on, especially if you accidentally slide from note to note. Not being argumentative, just offering my experience.

I built a stereo guitar (hexaphonic pickups) and run the OC-3 from the top 3 or 2 strings (toggle switches changes which ones) and the bottom strings through a chorus, for a funk / soul / Police ish sound.

MattLeFevers

Interesting. I found the OC-3 does a very decent faux bass, but that may depend on rig. I actually thought the pog had a lot more synthy thing going on, especially if you accidentally slide from note to note. Not being argumentative, just offering my experience.

I built a stereo guitar (hexaphonic pickups) and run the OC-3 from the top 3 or 2 strings (toggle switches changes which ones) and the bottom strings through a chorus, for a funk / soul / Police ish sound.

Fair enough. I'm glad the OC-3 worked for you, that adjustable range cutoff thing that it does is brilliant and something I desperately wish any other octave pedals had. I loved it in concept but the sound I got was always kinda synthy, I guess a lot of bass players use them on purpose for that reason but it wasn't my jam.

I've always wanted to do the custom modified guitar thing but couldn't quite commit!

benagain

Dont know what he uses for the bass line but it sounds great

Yeah, this guys got it down. Never thought about just using a regular pickup but having it on the side like that. Great idea!

I searched his FB account, Mr. Hill is using the POG. Very cool sound. The advantage of the POG is its polyphonic.... The OC-3 can get muddy with more then one string vibrating. I usually only play one 'bass' note at a time..(Must resist getting another POG...)

He also appears to be using an original KLON amongst other things.
(pedal board shot around 2:00 mark)

Last edited:

JJ Fux

never had one. never tried one. but it just occurred to me that it would be neat to try an octave pedal to lay down some basslines (as it were) when looping live. but i read that some are glitchy or have latency and i can't have something throwing off the timing or feel of the loops.

i don't need other fuzz, detuning or harmonizing or octave up or 12 string or organ-y stuff, but i guess it could be cool. but not at the expense of n accurate, convincing fake bass. extra credit if it is small, affordable or battery powered.

i could just make the loops ahead of time with an actual bass, but that feels like cheating.

Hello, I bought the Micro POG just to emulate a bass guitar. To me, it doesn't sound make your guitar sound like bass. We are talking about live performances, right? No one will be able to tell, but I can definitely hear my dry guitar tone bleed through even with the dry signal all the way down. It's very slight, but it's there. I've already tried it with both single and humbucker pickups.

It doesn't have any digital glitch nor latency. It's a nice pedal, and I bought it in hopes to get some crazy, huge sound. I think the key is to be subtle; it can make you sound very annoying, very fast (e.g. octave-up).

Maybe you can look into the Pitch Fork.

reddog112

Gold Supporting Member
Like posted above...Mooer Tender Octaver, half the size, half the price...sounds much like the Micro Pog...I heard they discontinued because it was so close...DO NOT buy the Mooer Pure Octave...that's garbage....that way if you don't like it's cheap and easy to flip....I do also have the Foxrox Octron but that has another whole level of analog snottiness that might/might not suit your needs....I have both on board for different octave chaos

quilsaw

Another satisfied OC-3 user. The low pass filter, polyphonic capability, and affordable price ticked all my boxes...assuming it works as advertised and it does. FWIW, I think all octavers produce a sound that is inherently "synthy" (even in the vids above) and must be blended with enough of the unaffected string tone to sound "natural" . My best results have come from splitting the signal after the amp (or preamp) to run through the OC-3 and then into the board.

minty901

Sorry guys but MicroPOG sucks for this. Sounds chimey even on the sub octave. Doesn't sound like a bass. Has that organy click to it. The Pitchfork is much, much closer and will serve you well, and the Digitech Drop is even better than that. My Digitech Drop serves as my bass emulation and I have zero desire to buy a bass guitar after getting the Drop. Getting a MicroPOG or a Tender Octaver would be a mistake IMO. Pitchfork or Drop all the way.

feet

sexual visionary
i'm glad we have a consensus on this :messedup

i guess the pog, boss and drop are the ones to look into, then? i thought the sub n up might be the cool new thing, but i read about a slight delay, i believe.

and yeah, it doesn't need to be amazing. just on time. and i'm not looking for synth type bass, at all. just laying down a bass line for live looping. i'll probably be using an archtop, and use my fingers for it, which may (or may not) give it some extra bassiness or, some hollow, upright flavor. so as not laser-y as possible. no clicks, no weird attack or artifacts.

analogmike

Vendor
those pedals give you the note of the bass, but not the sound. try a whammy pedal or the fixed version without the rocker, it sounds vERY convincing, like a real bass.

MattLeFevers

Haha, yeah, this thread is all over the place.

Based on most feedback I've ever come across and my own personal experience, the EHX stuff (POG and Pitch Fork) sounds more natural than the Boss stuff. One of the main reasons OC-2 and OC-3 pedals are common on bass boards is to deliberately get a synth bass sound so I know I'm not alone there, but it's clearly working for others on this thread so you might have to try some out for yourself and see what sounds good to you.

Digitech Whammy and its variants (like the Drop or Ricochet) would definitely also be worth looking into, they pioneered a lot of the pitch shifting craziness. Jack White uses a Whammy and that "Seven Nation Army" song is like the pinnacle of guitar-pretending-to-be-a-bass. :)

minty901

i guess the pog, boss and drop are the ones to look into, then? i thought the sub n up might be the cool new thing, but i read about a slight delay, i believe.

and yeah, it doesn't need to be amazing. just on time. and i'm not looking for synth type bass, at all. just laying down a bass line for live looping. i'll probably be using an archtop, and use my fingers for it, which may (or may not) give it some extra bassiness or, some hollow, upright flavor. so as not laser-y as possible. no clicks, no weird attack or artifacts.
MicroPOG has clicky, weird attack. Sounds like an organ key press. Please don't get the MicroPOG you'll be disappointed if you're trying to get faux bass with it. It IS an awesome pedal for organy sounds and general pitchy goodness as its tracking is second-to-none and it feels stable. But for the tone of a bass guitar... I really think the Digitech Drop is unbeatable. If the other Digitech pedals (Whammy or Ricochet) use the same algorithms (they probably do) then they're also unbeatable and pick whichever one has the features you like. The Pitchfork is a very close second. Doesn't sound quite as warm or natural as the Drop but it would still work well. If tone is your main priority though, Digitech is the way to go.

All octave shift pedals will have latency by the way, there's no getting around that. If you play fast then there's a fairly good chance you'll notice it. It isn't enough to bother me when I'm laying down a bass track though.

Good luck!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom