1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Octave Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RickB, May 17, 2006.

1. RickB

RickB Member

My first octave pedal was a Voodoo Lab Proctavia. It just sits in its box in the bottom of my pedal trunk these days.

I have an Octron from the first batch (#24) that I have since had Dave Fox bring it up to current spec (low octave mod). I really like the Octron as it does what it does really well. But whether in Mode A or Mode B, it still gives you the upper octave all over the fretboard. So I have been wanting something more Octavia-ish. Something that is not so perfect like the Octron is.

I am waiting on a Karl Fuzz which I hope to get sometime soon. The Karl from the clips I have heard seems to be the one that is really going to get me where I want to be in terms of octave/ring mod goodness. So in the meantime, I went ahead and grabbed a new Fulltone OctaFuzz yesterday. The main question that I have is, is the OctaFuzz really as close to the original as Mike Fuller claims? I spent a considerable amount of time with it last night and it is cool but I am not sure just yet if it is doing it for me. I found that the boost needs to be set to no higher than 12 o'clock for the octave to really come through but at this setting, the pedal overall sounds a bit thin. Adjusting the volume knob really makes a big difference in the sound and reaction of the octave but getting these two knobs right has not been easy. I have tried running it before and after other boosts, fuzzes and whatnot on my board but it seems to sound best on its own.

I have done a search and it seems like this topic hasn't come up in a while. So is there anyone out there that thinks the OctaFuzz nails it? Or what do you prefer over it?

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Fulltone Octafuzz is not as good as the Chicago Iron pedal, I tried both side by side before choosing the CI. That being said before these two pedals I owned a menatone Chawbox which allows you to vary the octave intensity. I ended up selling the CI and buying another Menatone. The CI pedal is a great pedal thought and sounds much better then the Fulltone.

3. matte

matte Senior Member

Justin Philpot (sic) made my go to octave fuzzes. I have his Foxx Fuzz and I rack mounted his Tych-Octave. Matt Wells 8 Ball is killing and the Chaos pedal is incredible as well.

4. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I just purchased a G.G.G. Ring Dinger which is a clone of the Armstrong Green Ringer. I like the fact that I can use it by itself, with a clean tone, or in combination with any of my other fuzz/od/distortion pedals and that it doesn't break the bank. It certainly isn't perfect sounding, like you describe your Octron, which I agree is a good thing.

David

5. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, that Fulltone pedal's supposed to be an accurate copy of the original circuit, and I do prefer it to the other two clones I've owned - a VL Proctavia and a Danelectro French Toast.

But I have the same complaints as you, and prefer a fatter sounding upper octave fuzz. They may not be faithful reproductions, but I get more mileage out of an old Rx Electronics Experience pedal and a germanium Face Lift.

The Experience's a silicon based fuzz, but it's got ton's of bottom end and the octave mode's thick and creamy. The Ge Face Lift's a bit raspier, but still darker sounding than the OctaFuzz. It's a bit more versatile than the Experience, as you can blend the 'clean' octave effect w/the ge fuzz circuit to optimize the tone for your rig.

Both these pedals have been around for quite a while, so I was able to get them second hand for very good prices..

6. RickB

RickB Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to spend some more time tonight with the OctaFuzz but I think it might be going back. I'll just wait on the Karl and see what that does for me. I also might tweak the Octron some more.

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

What about the Ultimate Octave? Anyone tried one? I've thought about getting one but other pedals took priority. Still kind of on my list.

8. RickB

RickB Member

I have a Fulltone Ultimate Octave and forgot to mention it! :jo I acutally like it a lot. I have been using that as of late instead of the Octron. It pairs up very good with other pedals, especially if you turn the gain down on the UO. But again, it is more of an "all over" effect.

9. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I had an Ultimate Octave for a while. I always thought it sounded better recorded than live and since I already owned a Dano French Toast, I sold the Fulltone. It's a Foxx tone machine inspired pedal, BTW, and doen't really sound like the tycobrahe. I currently use a Helium and love it.

10. RickB

RickB Member

I spent a couple of hours last night with the OctaFuzz. It really grew on me. There are definitely sweet spots to find with the two knobs and it really comes to life. Boost anywhere from off to around 11 o'clock was working great depending on where the volume was set. I think I actually will end up keeping it. :AOK

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Have you checked out the MJM Roctavios? It's a killer pedal with a great octavia effect. The thing goes well before or after dirt boxes.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I want a KR Doubler... at http://www.krmusicalproducts.com they have clips, the very first one is what sold me... I don't have it yet. I have the E-H POG, it's more synth-y than octavia-y... I want the HOG, too.

13. RickB

RickB Member

I was looking at the KR. I dunno. Clips sounded pretty good. I think I need to wait for the Karl before I get anything else.

14. Teahead

Teahead Member

When you tried the 'Octavia' mode on the Octron, did you crank the internal gain? I found this to make a huge difference in getting the classic, misbehaved 'Octavia' tones. I run mine at three quarters gain and can get the Hendrix Band of Gypsys tones pretty close.

15. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

The Karl is killer, but is not an octavia. Its an amazing and unique fuzz that depending on picking and volume well give some octave, ring mod, and ghost notes. Its really musical! For octavia, Sean made me a Believe that is sick. It has no knobs, just a jack and switch. Its real clean and combines well with everything especially the COT50. Its amazing.

16. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

I had a KR Doubler. IMO it's a much more single coil friendly box because it's voiced fairly dark.

17. RickB

RickB Member

It is 9v only correct? I can't deal with pedals that don't have an A/C tap. Picky... I know but I hate having to unplug jacks.

18. RickB

RickB Member

I know it is not an octavia but it does the quirky, octave/ring mod stuff I am looking for. It doesn't have to be an octavia clone. Just something that is a little more unpredictable. The Octron and Ultimate Octave are just too perfect all over the place. I hear you about the Believe. Hopefully we will see them again some day!

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i'm guessing you've messed with the internal trim pots?

i have mine set for max treble and gain for some crazy awesome octavia sounds. :cool:

20. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

+1 on the GGG ring dinger. the beauty of it is you can play it into a clean tone or into your od or your most over the top fuzz. When playing a lead with fuzz turn it on while dropping a bent string. It's orgasmic!