Octave pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratmaster48, Mar 31, 2008.

1. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

Never gotten one, so I don't really know what I'm looking for. The other guitarist in my band has one, and I like the new dynamic it adds to his sound when he uses it, but I don't want to get the Boss version, because it seems a little noisy.

Thanks

2. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

yea, I'm going to go Boutique for sure. My setup is too nice to throw in anything cheap. So all clips and advice would be much appreciated.

3. bestegw

bestegw Member

Be aware that there are different types of Octave pedals sold under the same name. There's the Boss that pitches your sound and there's the boutiqque-vintage-jimi type of octave effect that basically screws up your sound.

In the first line, I like the Difitech whammy, since it gives you octave and a whammy. That Foxrox Octron looks very versatile with both octave up and down. though.

In the second type, I prefer the Tychobrahe-type, since it's nice and gritty.

4. mild

mild Member

I say just do it once, and do it right - track down a WH-1 Whammy whilst everyone in the US is in "sell for money frenzy mode" with the economy being weird.

Because the best part is that you'll always get your money back, everyone still wants them!

5. mewithoutlouie

mewithoutlouie Member

I've also been gasin' for an octave. Opinions on the micro pog?

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Like he (or she--Don't know for sure, really) ........well, like this person said, you need to decide which type you want. You have the classic Hendrix-type Octavia (Roger Mayer custom-built a germanium diode based unit that Jimi dubbed the Octavio,and at some point a Japanese company named Tychobrahe allegedly got a hold of one and stole the design so they could mass-produce them- thus, came the Tychobrahe Octavia).

Then you have the more versatile, but not necessarily Hendrix-y sounding octave-up units (usually silicon-based) like the Fulltone Ultimate Octave, Foxx Tone Machine, and others. I was looking for the classic Hendrix Octavia sound, but since I was a novice in the octave-up world and really did not fully understand what pedal I needed to get the sound I wanted, I ended up buying an Ultimate Octave, which is a great pedal but really not what I was looking for. So after some time and better research, I ended up buying a Voodoo Lab Proctavia, which I found to be the best sounding unit for the price (I really did not feel like spending $325 for a Chicago Iron, which is probably the best octavia clone made, but way more than I was willing to pay for a one-trick-pony).
    If you understand the differences in design, you'll know which one has the sound you're looking for.
    Just keep in mind that these are octave-up units (you hear the note you're playing, plus another tone that is an octave higher) that usually mix the octave sound with an adjustable fuzz tone (sometimes labeled boost).

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

The POG or micro pog anyway I believe is fairly well used by Jack White on thier current album.

The regular fulltone Octafuzz with the switch is one of the best pedals they make I like it far far better than the UO. It's a better fuzz than most of thier other ones. with the switch off and with it on, it's basically the Tycobrahe love it or hate it it's basically exactly the same save the better switch. It's expectedly less grating or abrasive than the VL pedal. Same idea same hemisphere just more musical.

After playing with a Pigtronix disnortion and loving that octave up on that effect I decided I needed an Octron. I like the up and down in the same pedal and the Octron has the Octave Up I want with the Octave down I can layer to provide all that body.

The Pigtronix disnortion does have a fantastic octave I just didn't vibe with the OD or fuzz part of it.

8. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

I guess I'd like to have both octave up and octave down. I don't really think I need the fuzz aspect of it?

9. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Just get an Octron and be done with it...has octave up, octave down, true bypass, analog, organic, natural sounding, great tracking...great pedal!

10. wahwah

wahwah Member

I've posted this song before, but it's relevant to this thread, so here it is again. This is the Foxrox Octron 2. Both upper and lower octaves for most of the track, but I switch out the lower octave for the solo section. This is the Octron 2 going straight into a driven Fender Super Champ. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5499652

Cheers...............................wahwah

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I love a lower octave when using a Auto Wwah or Filter. Man, that is a cool sound.

Most people praise the Foxrox, so, there you go. Whatever you buy though, try it with an auto-wah!

12. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

thats the deal sealer! I'm getting one!

13. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Being new to the Octave school too... How would the CatalinBread Octava Magnus compare here (which type)? I realize its probably a different type... but someone care to comment?

14. Fast Eddie335

Fast Eddie335 Member

I had a micro pog. It is true polyphony. If you do a youtube search, EHX made a video and it sounds exactly like that. True tracking, perfect octaves. Its also surprisingly light weight. I ended up returning because i don't really need an octave pedal, i just ike to go to guitar center and "borrow" pedals. ;)
    P.S. The boss is crappy.

15. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

THAT is one of the coolest pedal clips I've ever heard!

16. wahwah

wahwah Member

Thank you sir, glad you dug it. The coolest thing is that it helps the OP make an informed decision. There's a certain point where words become essentially useless in describing sound, and that's where the demo clip comes in! I'm kinda new here, but I'm surprised at how few clips there are, especially when compared to the number of words!

Cheers.....................................wahwah

17. erksin

erksin Member

The Ottava Magus is octave up only.

One 'improvement' we really concentrated on was note decay - you can actually sustain a single note or double-stop or chord and it won't glitch out when the signal fades.

That Octron 2 clip was awesome!

18. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

dano chili dog put a whoopin on the brown boss to my ears.

buy me a beer sometime with your savings.