Octaver for acoustic guitar - what are my options?

multivir

Hi,

I'm looking for an octave pedal for my acoustic guitar. I want to add an octave below to emulate a bass when playing solo.

I am aware of the Boss OC-3 and I think I could get the same effect from a (Micro) POG. From what I've seen online, you can set the frequency on the OC-3, so that only the bottom two strings are affected.

Are there any other options I should check out like maybe a small multi-fx like the Zoom Bluetooth pedal or so that deliver the same effect and more at a better price point? I'd rather go for quality than quantity though.

Has anybody tried to do that with a TC VoiceLive 3 or a Eventide H9?
Those pedals look interesting to me and a good Octave would be a good excuse to get one ;-)

Also, from watching a few youtube videos, I got the impression that some Octavers sound like synths, while others are closer to an actual bass sound. I want it to sound as natural as possible...

What are your recommendations?

bigEbeer

Silver Supporting Member
I've used a Digitech Whammy to turn my acoustic into a 'bass' in a looping situation. I've also done it with the Line 6 m9. Neither can split the strings, but if you are looping they can both pass.

flyingbird

I use pog2 for bass line. It gives me bass line and also organ sound.

But I also have eventide pitchfactor. I use it to create guitar harmony.

uglybassplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I've been using my Digitech RP360XP with my acoustic lately (using the "Dread Acoustic" amp sim) and the Octave effect (based on a Boss OC-2) is my favorite effect. The thing I really like about it is that the effect is fairly prominent on the lower two strings, giving the impression of a bass playing along, but it's not really all that noticeable on the upper strings. It also works well when playing chords, which the other octave effects I own (Zoom MS-100BT and MXR Bass Octave Deluxe) can't seem to handle.

I haven't tried the effect on my RP1000 and GSP1101, but I'd imagine it works equally as well as the RP360XP.

Last edited:

Trending Topics