Octavia users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Aug 24, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Do you guys run your Octavia (and Octavia like units) alone or with a OD pedal, maybe stacked with another fuzz...how do ya do it??

I am using a Foxrox Octron at the moment and really dig it but when I stack it with a fuzz it gets too loud and crazy and I can't tweak it out, I was thinking of maybe trying to tweak it to use as a stand alone unit maybe or maybe stack it with an OD so it wouldn't be so wild...

Any advise???

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I know it's only been a few hours but here is an early bump...thanks guys!

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I run my Octron with my LDO and it works really well. You can dial in the volume so that it doesn't jump up much. Some fuzzes work better than others in my experience. I have had some that melded really well with the Octron, but some others get really bright and loud coming directly after it. For example, my Analogman worked well with it, but my Gypsy Fuzz did not.

4. HHB

HHB Member

I run a Voodoo Lab Proctavio into a RAT, it's kinda noisy but thats the point right

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thanks guys!

The fuzz Im trying most to stack the Octron with is an AnalogMan Sunface...it sounds killer but gets too loud at this point, I've been in and out of it off and on trying to tweak the trimmers to still give me a nice stong upper octave sound w/o getting completely over the top...I am getting closer so we'll see.

Any other thoughts are more than welcome!

6. charmboy

charmboy Member

I'm using a similar setup; octron -> analogman sunlion.

It took me a while to get these two pedals to jive well together too but when you get it, you'll be glad you waited and put in the effort.

Of course, rig and settings will play a factor but as for the Octron into Sunface (side of the sunlion) here's what works for me:

-I set the "Octave Up" switch to 'B' - Dave says on his site that this is the default setting, but when I opened mine up I noticed it was shipped with this set to 'A' - The 'B' setting is a bit smoother and has less high end harshness.

-I turned both the Octave up 'Tone' and 'Drive' trimpots back just a little... I pulled the drive back a touch more than the tone. As a result you can get away with adding more with the top mounted upper octave knob.

-When running with your fuzz, try using more subtle settings for a while to get used to it (upper octave at 11:00, direct at noon, lower octave off or around 9:00). Then roll back the volume knob on your guitar considerably and play around gradully bringing up your guitar volume. You'll find some great sweet spots on there... listen to the Band of Gypsies album... you'll notice that most of the time Jimi's using his Octavia, he's got his volume rolled way back. That's not to say it doesn't sound great screaming with the guitar volume knob wide open; it does... just a little easier to control if you gradually roll up to that level. Also, as you get more used to where it works with your guitar's volume knob, you can raise the level of the upper Octave; I used it anywhere from 9:00 (adds a nice bloom to sustained notes when you have the direct at unity gain) to 3:00 for most applications.

-Lastly, try bringing the level of your sunface down just a tad... I usually run mine between 2 and 3:00.

Hope that helps! Don't give up, the Octron->Sun Face can be a glorious combo; just takes a little experimentation.

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I run my Octron in front of the Dunlop Hendrix Silicon FF and with the gain at 3 or above it's pretty much perfect with any setting of the octron. Obviously it will get muddy with the lower octave too high or chording but it sounds tremendous.

I think ultimately most fuzzes will work well but the gain on the fuzz or in the Octron needs to be dialed back a bit when stacking.

The octron is my new favorite pedal. I can completely see why the Octron 2 is so good in gig situations. No time to look down and adjust as quickly when you want different stuff.

8. charmboy

charmboy Member

That's the beauty of the Octron's 'B' setting I mentioned... Really no need to roll back your tone knob.

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thanks guys! I've been in it tweaking a lot just like Charmboy said it's a killer combo...Im gonna tear into it a few more times just to make it work...I really love both of those pedals so Im determined to make it happen with both together!

Charmboy, I'll take note of the AB switch in side...truth is Im not sure where it is now...I really like to dial out almost all the direct signal when tunning the upper octave side but maybe a little more dry woudl help too.

On the subject of the Octron II...I will have one one day, Im not clear on if Dave is still making them or not but one day Im gonna get my hands on one for sure...