Octavia, which is best in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eric-d, Sep 8, 2005.

1. eric-d

eric-d Member

I was just curious what you guys thought.... I have a Roger Mayer Octavia and I like it, but there are several others out there that I know are killer..... Like the Fulltone Octafuzz is a good example....

Let me know which one you think is best?!?!

2. exodus

exodus Member

I actually thought the Octafuzz was one of the weaker examples of an Octavia that I had. Others that I've owned have been the:

Roger Mayer
    Addrock
    Foxrox
    Chicago Iron
    Prescription Electronics
    Justin Philpot (<-I think that's how you spell his name. He doesn't build pedals anymore).

I'd give top nods to the Chicago Iron, Addrock and Foxrox. For pure vintage, the Chicago Iron wins. For really great tone, pedalboard features (led, ac tap, ergonomics), and great (used) price, the Addrock is tops. The addrock and CI both bloom into a nice octave and harmonic feedback. I had a Fulltone Octafuzz that crapped out on me. But while it was working, the tone was pretty good, but tricky to work with. It seemed hard to coax the same kind of singing tones out of it.

3. Nigel

Nigel Guest

4. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I have had the Addrock on my board for years now. Still the best live I have used!

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have been thinking of getting an Octavia as well. I was curious though, does this effect only work with a clean channel or does it sound okay with slight break up?
    I'm thinking about getting one for my Flexi.

6. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I like the Chicago Iron

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

It works great with distortion and Clean channel..

8. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

A lot of octave fuzzes are actually more or less clones of the Foxx Tone Machine, such as the Fulltone and the PE Experience. So it's apples and oranges comparing them to a true Octavia (... or maybe oranges and tangerines).

Anyway, the Chicago Iron is a dead-on clone for the Tycobrahe Octavia, and I think it sounds great. Kurt Stier (Chicago Iron dude) told me he actually keeps a Roger Mayer Octavia on his board, along with his Octavian, because they are slightly different flavors and they each do things the other can't do.

I recently got to check out a Roger Mayer Vision Octavia and was HUGELY impressed. Very cool sound, stands up well on its own. It can get kind of flutey sounding (in a cool way). Definitely different than the CI.

I got a Foxrox CC2 back when they first came out, and that got me started on an Octavia kick. I had never really "got" the whole Octavia thing before that, but maybe I had never really played a good one before...

9. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I've been using a Studio Electronics Helium Octave Fuzz/Distortion for over a year now, and I still haven't found a pedal to dethrone it, flexability wise it is impossible to beat with the different mode switches on it, which go from smooth synth-like octave sounds, to ubrupt, obvious Octavia sounds, has multiple settings for all sorts of vintage Octave sounds and some modern ones too, and my fave part is that if you put the mix more towards the center (being all fuzz on the far left, and all octave on the far right) you can use the fuzz for chords still, but if your roll your tone back and play anywhere from the 10th fret down, its an octave pedal again. Strongly recommend it, hell, check my sig, haha.

-TJK

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

Like I said I have the rocket version of the RM Octavia and I like it but I don't know if it's true bypass and the fact that it's not 9V adapter friendly kinda sucks. I use it on average about 3-5 times a night but sometimes I use it more... My fuzz face just got finished by analog.man and I like to have the octavia before the fuzz.... Simply because the octavia doesn't have enough volume for a two-guitar band.. I usually have the fuzz dimed on volume and fuzz... I really like the clip and the price of the MJM... I like the Chicago Iron, but it's a little too expensive..... I'll most likely get the MJM.... I like vintage style and sounds, so I'm still looking ... -E

11. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

I agree with *J*, the Chicago Iron Octavian and MJM Roctavio are favorites.

But another stellar one is the Wyllie Moonrock, this one is smooth, cleans up when backing down vol of guitar like a regular fuzz, looses the Octavia part. Also with gain/fuzz set to noon it is a different sounding type fuzz, turn gain/fuzz other direction than octavia and get in sort of backwards gated.
    Gary

12. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I am a CI guy.

The octafuzz and the 69 and the 70 all have the input wire zip tied to the output wire. Although this looks clean when you open the pedal it seems to rob sustain and make the pedal behave funky. Spilt the wires and move them to the outside edge and you will see a noticable improvement.

The CI is the best old school Octavia I have ever played.

13. eric-d

eric-d Member

If the Chicago Iron wasn't twice as much as other octavia's , I'd buy it in a heart-beat!! Maybe one day... I'm really leaning toward the MJM....

14. ck3

ck3 Member

I really dug the MMFX Fender Bender (Fender Blender clone) that I just got ... until the DC jack and battery clip went kaput. :(

It will be going into the shop very soon, so, hopefully, I can eventually supplement my write-up in the product reviews section with some low gain clips. :cool:

15. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

How about Foxrox's new Octron, and J Everman's Octave X?

16. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have a RI Foxx Tone machine and a Original RM Octavia,and I like the fuzz and the Harmonics on the Foxx better then the Original,The RM would be a better closeness to the Fuzz Face,if you take some of the Octave off but you cant bypass it like the Foxx T.M.

17. eric-d

eric-d Member

For the Foxx, I bet if you take a DPDT footswitch and swap that for the side toggle it'll be switchable.... Or a 3PDT switch for a LED.... I dunno.. just ideas... Of course you'd have to drill a new hole on top...

18. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Right now I'm using the Chicago Iron pedal. It has a nice glassiness & dynamics that I like a lot. I also have my second fave, the much less expensive Voodoo Labs Proctavia, which to me sounds thicker and more explosive.

19. eric-d

eric-d Member

Well I just got this back from Analog.Man..... It's friggin' awesome!!! I can't wait to crank up the amp and put the RM Octavia in front of it and see what happens!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Yes, I know, my paint job sucks... it's was half metal, with red and silver paint all scratched up when I got it... what do you expect from a $25 dollar eBay auction... :D That price and the Price of the analog.man mod just can't be beat!!!

20. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member