OD-100 info and question.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by countandduke, Feb 22, 2006.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

I confirmed that if you remove the inner 2 power tubes or outer 2 power tubes, that you then need to use the next lowest impedence output. So when I take out the tubes I will then need to use the 8 ohm output even though I am going INTO a 16 ohm cabinet.

My question is, what will this do to the tone??? I am hoping it will smooth out the fizziness of channel 2 without super high volume....

Is the OD-50 made any differently than the OD-100 or is it just lower headroom??? I seem to remember this being discussed but can't find the thread.

Thanks,

Chris

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I remember reading a quote from John Suhr that said there should be some tweaks made to the amp, if you want to do this. I seem to recall him saying that it wouldn't harm the amp, but that he didn't think it would sound it's best.

3. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

When you mention Fizziness on channel 2 I'm wondering where you have the Treble and Brilliance set? What speakers are you using/ I've had no problems with fizz.

Nick :)?D)

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

I'll check when I get home, as I think about it, the brilliance may be a tad high....... speakers are a 5150 cabinet but I have a Marshall 30th Anniversary series cab too....... good points.... thanks.....

Chris

5. rocketboss

Mr. Suhr told me the Brilliance control is a cut! At lower volumes I run it wide open (uncut). Live its at about 2 o'clock. To me the magic of the amp is in the treble control. It does great things to the mids from completely off to about 10 o'clock. I usually run it about 7-8 o'clock. I'm running Governers or V30's. Check out the treble turned down real low this might help with the fizz. The amp is still plenty bright to me. By the way mine is a standard OD100. Hope this helps!

6. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I had this problem with the amp, but there is a very very simple fix that completely removes what your describing.....
    Install a high gain 12ax7(telefunken) in V1, and a very low gain tube in V4. I used a 85/85 9th chinese in V4 and the tone vastly improved. It got rid of that fizzy buzz, especially in high gain/boosted settings in the gain channel.
    Steve

7. rocketboss

Steve your right! I'm running old Mullards in V1,2 and 4!

8. miltwill

miltwill Silver Supporting Member

Steve,

Who did you buy your tubes from? I've got an OD50 and it is very fizzy at lower volumes. If i crank it up it smooths out, but the volume that i have to get it too is VERY loud. I actually knocked the cable box off the top of the TV with it the other night. The TV was across the room. It friggin roars with the gain and master both set at high noon.

9. countandduke

countandduke Member

My speaker cabs start rattling when the volume gets turned up. I need to screw that brace down a little bit better. Will preamp tubes really make that big a difference?? I know 12AX7's have higher gain abilities than say a 12AT7 but do manufacturing types even matter???

www.tubedepot.com should be a good place right????

I know output tubes have a big influence on the tone but I am interested in hearing your thoughts on preamp tube differences.

Chris

10. bailnout

bailnout Member

I'm running a Svetlana in V1 right now. I chose it over the Tung-sol I have and the EH that used to be in my Jubilee before I sold it off with it. I'm not saying it's a better 12ax7 than the others. It's just the one I picked of the tubes I have for this particular amp.

Here's a good question about his amp for all the tech heads in the house? Why would my amp just pop and shut down uppon the first chord I played through it that night. I checked the mains fuse and sure enough it was blown. I replaced it and fired it back up. There was all kinds of noise and I looked in the back at the power tubes. Two of them were pretty dim and two of them were glowing bright red. I could feel the heat coming off of them on my face! So I shut it right down and didn't use it. What's that all about?

11. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Bailnout, i'd email Suhr for a fast response. He is the best person to help.

12. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Well, luckily, Doug from www.dougstubes.com lives a few minutes from me.
    He came down to my studio one night to experiment with preamp tubes in my OD100SE and OD50...
    I found that this combination sounded best at all volumes.
    Just give him a call, and he can help you out. Plus he has amazing customer service, and tests every single tube before shipping....
    Steve

13. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I think speakers have a MAJOR influence on the sound of this amp, as do guitars and pups....
    I have gone through literally dozens and dozens of speakers, cabinets and combinations to find what I feel sounds best with this amp...
    I settled on 2 different speaker setups in my CAA 4x12's...
    Mesa Boogie MC90's to me sound the best.
    I have one 4x12 loaded with the MC90's, and another loaded with Fuchs Fat S1's and either MC90's or C75's beleive it or not.... The Fuchs are a modified Eminence version of the EVM speaker. They are super tight, and have a huge sound spectrum.
    Speakers that made the amp harsh as hell and brittle/buzzy sounding to me were:
    Greenbacks, V30's, G12H30's, and blackbacks....
    They are way too buzzy, piercing and have horrible low end response.
    Some people, including John like the GB's etc...
    But to me the best overall speaker for these amps is the MC90. They can handle all the bass you throw at them, plus they take away that shrill top end that all the above speakers have.
    V30's and GB's do sound good for recording this amp, but not for live situations to me...
    JMHO
    Steve

14. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Hey Steve!
    Where can I get a hold of some MC90's? Do any stores sell them or is it direct from Mesa?

15. wire 247

wire 247 Member

I was playing my week old sh/se od 100 and the fuses blew. The power tubes were bad. John had me open up the 5a fuse compartment and clean the corrosion off of the fuse contacts and he sent me new power tubes and fuses. It actually changed the overall sound for the better. I do notice darkness and fizziness sometimes though.....

16. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

You can do one of 3 things....
    Ebay...
    Mesa Direct....
    Mesa dealer....
    Steve

17. bailnout

bailnout Member

Thanks James. I was talking to TGPer Red Planet on the phone last night about this and he said basically the same thing. I'm going to try to call them first. If that doesn't work, email will be the next move.

I took the tubes out and took a look at them. They all looked good except the one furthest to the right looking at the back of the amp. It had a dark spot at the bottom of the bottle on one side right next to were there should be a little butterfly tab below the base plate that holds the rod that goes up through the "wing" of the winged C plate. (God I hope I'm using good terminology here!). It looks like what used to be the little butterfly tab is now a little ball of metal. Like the tab melted. This was one of the tubes that was glowing red hot so I don't know if this is a cause or an effect but it sure don't look right.

18. bailnout

bailnout Member

Thanks John. I'll be calling you later today so I have the amp in front of me whenever I talk to whoever I'll be talking to. I'm hoping it's just a bad tube and I didn't hurt anything internally. The metal rod inside the fuse holder looks good already though. I don't think hitting it with a Scotch Brite pad is going to make it look any cleaner.

Talk to you soon,
    Wendell

19. lbw

lbw Member

If I can just resurrect this thread, I noticed that the Suhr site mentions that the OD-100 and OD-50 can run on European voltages.

Is the switch to 240V as simple as turning a switching and there's no need to change fuses or anything else for that matter?

Thanks.