OD-100, so many for sale

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, Sep 8, 2005.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

How come the market seems to be flooded with these amps on the used market? Just wondering...

2. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I have been GASin' for one of these for a number of months now and have been negotiaing with some sellers. These have been the hot amp this year and while I have not played one yet, from what I have been reading they are not super forgiving. So the conclusion that I have drawn is that some folks buy them, then find this fact out(it's not their cup of tea) and put them back up for sale.(many, fairly quickly from what I have seen)

Hoping to have one "in da house soon".

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

You have to try before you buy. I've been wanting one since they first came out, but after trying one, I discovered it wasn't the amp for me.

You also have to take a look at the way the economy is going... gas prices alone could place enough financial burden to warrant thinning of the collection.

4. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    I would not judge an amp by how many are for sale, especially here. You see ALL KINDS of amps in the emporium all the time. Poeple here seem to like to buy and sell just to try different flavors.
    Nothing wrong with that at all,just seems to be the way it is.
    Rob

5. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Yep, that's why I want one, for bigger rooms or outdoors where I need an amp that is not going to be so compressed when opening it up. Been using a Two Rock CR 50 most of the time this year and it is great most of the time, also have a w/d/w set up for the bigger requierments. Tried the Two Rock in a couple of the bigger situations that I did not feel like dragging the w/d/w to, and it absolutly got crushed. I hated it. I just want to take a head and a 2x12 that kills, I am so over dragging a bunch of gear around.

Peace,
    Duffy

6. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Not judging at all. Check Ebay. I personally think its a very good product.

7. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    I would agree that it is a very good product. But I checked fleabay and only saw 3 for sale,and they werent giving them away!
    Rob

8. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Yup, you can't judge an amp by if a bunch are up for sale. I think Germinos are like "good" Marshall plexis, yet there are phases where you see a bunch of those up for sale (mostly likely for the reason that people who don't play in bands, just don't need the volume of these amps that are made for live playing and get frustrated when they are not getting the response out of the amp they where hoping for at home volumes).

9. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

John I have seen several CAE posts from you talking about how the head was designed to be played in a band, what I wonder is if there is some kind of re voicing switch that could be designed so you could have a bedroom and a band sound, i.e. covering both markets, something like a revoicing switch, me personally I prefer it sounds good in a band because thats what I use it for but I would also think that at $3K plus for a Suhr amp most of the users or a good portion of the users are guys with cash and probably dont play in a band. Alot of boutique buyers are professionals, who make a nice living and can buy amps like a Suhr and many times not only do they play in the bedroom just for fun but usually they are not the best players which means an unforgiving amp that sounds best with a band doesn't seem to fit with the people that actually have the cake to buy a Suhr. Anyways just my 2 cents .........

10. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

11. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

people are trying to pay for the 3+ gass prices, heat homes this winter, the economy is not looking too good. People are selling because they need the money. Telling your wife you need to hang on to a 3000 amp is hard to do when the kids need car, college, cell phones, colthes etc. that is what i believe. who in their right mind would sell one. I long to have one. Second as we all know, no one is ever satisfied with their tone.

12. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

John, please don't make it more compressed. soldano and bogner have that covered. I want an amp I can open up. You amp has plenty of gain doesn't it.

13. aeolian

aeolian Member

Duffy, what kinds of speakers are you using? These Tonkers that I have cut though like a knife. The presence and immediacy of the tone will have you turning down instead of up. With a CR it should generate plenty of stage volume. I've got two outdoor gigs in the next couple of weeks. For the first one, I'll try leaving my ODS100 with two tubes (50W) and see how it goes. It's been more than enough in any closed rooms recently. In fact, I have a one Tonker cab that covers most gigs.

14. aeolian

aeolian Member

Be careful, you've let a big cat out of it's bag. Now, how many of those folks who have the cash and want the very best are going to admit that that very same top of the line gadget used by their hero is unusable for them? Nope, they'll get on the internet and voice their opinions that the gadget is not that great, people like John will be frustrated, and working players will snicker in their keyboards, but not call out the "more money than ability crowd". I mean, this has the potential to be as devisive as any Gibson/Fender or Dumble debate. My take is to let the folks with the means, buy whatever they want, thus funding folks like John. And if it doesn't work for them, they'll dump it in to the used market where hopefully it will trickle down to someone with the hands but not the funds. It's an eco-system that's been working for awhile. :cool:

15. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

How loud is you're band's stage volume when you've got your CR turned up so loud that it gets "crushed?" I've never gotten the master volume on my TR CR above about 3 (9 o'clock) on a gig. Beyond that and it's too loud for the stage. I almost always mic the amp. I would love to be able to play that amp with the master on 5, because it sounds unbelievable great there, but it would too loud for any venue at which I play, and it would be too loud for me to stand anywhere near it.

16. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

John thanks for the responce, makes total sense ! I wasnt slamming you in anyway you know how much I think of your guitars ! I am still hoping to hear one of your amps (not the BG one tho :>) with an SE mod

17. Filter428

Filter428 Member

You're absolutely right. To me, it never made sense why someone would spend $3000 on an amp to try to make themselves sound better instead of working on their chops. You're right, it's a VERY BIG cat!

18. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

aeolian, I have a TR65(which I believe is an Eminance). I did not clarify in my initial post that this is a single 12 open back combo.

JoeB., we play mostly Rockin' R&B and Funk, but everyone plays very authoritatively. Clean has to stay really clean and full, don't want the crunch to get too compressed. On the gigs in question I had the master at 3 o'clock. (the rear one at 1 o'clock as instructed by manufacturer. Amp is always miced up. I have this one indoor stage that just seems to suck sound up(covered in Auralex). I could not get that thing to sound good for saving my life. Last time I played it I took one of my single 12 cabs to run as an extention, but it did not help at all. That being said Joe from TR emailed me and informed me that I had to make a Y junction to properly run the two together. So I had an outdoor gig this evening and I wanted to try it, so I spend an hour making a Y junction box utilizing a nice metal box from an old dead direct box. Got to the gig all excited about the nights experiment, started setting up and realized I left the junction box and the speaker cab in my living room where I was testing it. :( :jo
    This was a not a huge outdoor stage type of thing it was a big patio bar, and we pulled things back a bit. I had the TR about as loud as it could get without mushing out, that is with the band pulling back.
    Only a couple more outdoor shows left in the season, will try to remember the freekin' junction box and cab next time to see how it works.

Peace,
    Duffy

19. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I use a 100W non MV Marshall at home...Nothin' better than rattling the China off the wall and making the cats hide under the bed (I've actually broken two plates)......but damn does it sound good. 500+ volts on the plates and a guitar volume knob, that's all i need (today).
    :dude

20. aeolian

aeolian Member

Duffy, for that gig, I'd really suggest trying a Tonker. Besides the 2-12, I have one in a cab very similar to your TR 1-12. And I've played real 65's (got some to sell) and the TR65 as well. The Tonker is less mushy than the 65 and about 2-3 db more efficient. The 65 has a nice smooth singing quality that complements the CR. The Tonker will bring it more into the funk catagory with a bit more presence and more bottom end thump. But it isn't shrill or harsh. The 65 actually has it's peak higher up. The Tonker is more fundamental, but with a great top end bark. There are some other great EMI's in the midrange, like the Tonespotter, Gov or Wizzard, but the Tonker has more authority across the bandwidth of a guitar.

Back to the surplus of great CAE's. Man I want to try one of those some day.