OD and Distortion pedals that work well with a Vox?

yoshiii

Hello

What are some OD and distortion pedals that work well with a Vox AC15?

I have the rams head Big Muff, Boss SD-1, EHX Crayon, soon the D&M Drive and buying more soon, still deciding what new ones to buy.

I want to get some ideas incase I buy a pedal a person mentions.

Dont have the amp yet. Will the pedals listed that I have now work well with it?

8len8

Hello

I have the rams head Big Muff, Boss SD-1, EHX Crayon, soon the D&M Drive and buying more soon, still deciding what new ones to buy.

Dont have the amp yet. Will the pedals listed that I have now work well with it?
Read this page, and the posts at the bottom:

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=262

COYS

For me your options are open except the tube screamer clones don't seem to work as well with them.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
HX Effects, can even do an amp foot switch, programmable into one or multiple effects ... all in one click of a foot switch.

wannabeatle

Hello

You already have pedals that should pair very well with an AC15

Big Muff has a lot of low end that the Vox might struggle with.

SD-1 works well enough for Jonny Greenwood

Crayon is EHX’s Timmy-like drive and should work beautifully.

D&M drive should also work as the Dan side (OCD-ish) and the Mick side (Klon-ish) are both Vox-friendly.

greatmutah

I have zero issue with Tube screamers into either one of my Vox amps when using the normal channel.

Yeah the normal channel will respond well to most boost or distortion pedals as said in the quote. I had great luck with a PLX Bion Boost (treble booster similar to Naga Viper) for taking the amp at breakup and pushing it into meltdown. Glorious. I also loved my Rat into the normal channel. Punk tones for days. SD-1 sounded cool too but the Rat was more fun.

If you’re trying to overdrive the Top Boost channel, you’re gonna want something that’s not a TS type. A clean boost is a good start with the Top Boost. Timmy pedals and their ilk work well here and a lot of folks love the Hotcake.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
For lower volume playing at home, a BSIAB2 was good for Marshally sounds.
When the amp was cranked, I liked RAT, Tube Screamer, Timmy.
If I had one today, I'd probably grab a Barber Gain Changer, combined with the KTR or Timmy.

Silver Supporting Member
You need a Crowther Hotcake. I am so totally in love with this combination, that it's become an essential part of playing Vox for me. They are inseparable. I have two Hotcakes on the board dedicated to my Vox. It's a pedal that can do anything from clean boost, to rocking crunch, to pseudo fuzz.

Evenlesspaul

Just as a heads up, I used to have a d&m drive, and it didn’t get along with my AC15 for some reason. Dans side just always had a layer of fizz on that didn’t sound good to my ears.
Might have just been a one-off problem, and the d&m drive is a great pedal but I figured I’d share my experience with it.
I’d throw my vote in for the Crowther hot cake too. That pedal was made specifically to pair with vox circuits. Another cheaper option would be the Lovepedal amp11. That’s another 2 stage pedal like the d&m drive that sounds fantastic. A little smoother and warmer than the d&m

I picked up a used Strymon Riverside last week. It has sounded fantastic in both the normal and TB channels.

And as said above, don’t be afraid of TSS and clones.

bikeracr

Silver Supporting Member
Timmy
Crowther Hotcake
Klon / Klone
Chase Bliss Brothers

A simple boost to push the amp into OD works really well.

And a treble booster into it when the amp is cooking is a thing of glory!

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Bogner ecstasy blue. I had a hard time with drives through my ac30 when I had one but the blue sounds incredible through them.

Axe-Man

Boss SD1 is great and this stacked into a Sherlock V3 pedal is pretty epic.

This is amp like distortion with dynamic response, feel and clarity. It’s like hot rodding your Vox. You now get 3 channels and the boost too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom