OD and Distortion pedals through my clean sounds AMAZING!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I know this goes back to the amp vs pedal into clean amp discussion, but I just wanted to report something that I just can't believe.

I am noticing in some situations, running a "good" OD pedal into a "good" clean amp or clean channel like on my VHT ST/50 or PWE Event Horizon, sounds spectacular! Tones are responsive, very full and wide, 3-D sounding. Sounds are as good as my amps and in some scenarios, I prefer the pedal into the clean channel!

What gives?

Maybe this is why my childhood guitar teacher prefers his Plexi with some inexpensive pedals to a modern channel switcher!

Thoughts? Conversation on this topic? :)

trailrun100s

Ha, funny you mention that...My fuzz pedal through the clean channel of the PWE sounds ridiculously good...Better than many OD channels of other amps I've played...Also sounds great with a ZenDrive, or BB pre...

NewDr.P

its totally subjective so its not at all surprising that some have an opinion that differs with the consensus.

RJLII

I went through a bunch of amps trying to find a channel switcher with a MV that sounded good to my ear. I finally picked up a Carr Rambler and a couple high quality pedals and am never looking back. There's a member here with a signature that pretty much says it all: "You can't add more clean". I concur.

Heady Jam Fan

I love both, but usually play through a pretty clean amp mostly.

Playing through a clean amp makes life easy in a lot of ways, but on the other hand, no pedal sounds like my SFDR cranked to 10 or my Mesa MKIII's lead channel (especially if I hit either with a TS9). But I hate delay into anything past "edge of breakup" and I find using an FX loop tedious.

3 Mile Stone

I have a four channel set up running into the clean channel of my PWE EH 50, 2 channel. I use the clean channel only as well.

Clean CH1 - Mooer Blues Crab
Crunch CH2 - Xotic BB
Rock CH3 - Xotic SL
High Gain CH4 - JHS Angry Charlie

All four of these sounds are better than any amp doing any SINGLE attempt at any of those tones. With the exception of my "64 Bandmaster, it was an awesome clean tone. I goose them in the front with a Mojopedals Klone. Unbelievable!

I agree, I think pedals sound way better, and I promise you all, I am not missing out on anything. Very happy with this rig.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned and gigged with most of the major brand and some boutique brand amps (Dumble,etc.) at some point in time. And while ultimately it would great to have a specific amp for a specific tone, it isn't practical even for most big time artists in all situations. I found putting a volume pedal in the effects loop of my Mesa/Boogies as an overall level pedal worked fairly well, especially for overdrive at an acceptable level. But out of practicality and ease of set up and tear down, I've opted for a 50 watt tube combo or such and GT-8 plus a couple od pedals.

trailrun100s

I have a four channel set up running into the clean channel of my PWE EH 50, 2 channel. I use the clean channel only as well.

Crunch CH2 - Xotic BB
Rock CH3 - Xotic SL

All four of these sounds are better than any amp doing any SINGLE attempt at any of those tones. With the exception of my "64 Bandmaster, it was an awesome clean tone. I goose them in the front with a Mojopedals Klone. Unbelievable!

I agree, I think pedals sound way better, and I promise you all, I am not missing out on anything. Very happy with this rig.
I will add, I have the PWE EH3...Channels 2 & 3 sound better than most any pedal I've ever used...I was just saying that pedals also sound good into Channel 1 of my EH3...I would trade channels 2 & 3 for anything...

Silent Sound

I've gone the pedal versus amp route for OD tones for years. I've been on both sides of that fence. Truth be told, my favorite tones are the pedal PLUS amp! Get yourself a clean amp and a good OD/fuzz/distortion pedal and leave the drive of the pedal down pretty low, but really crank the output. Think colored boost, instead of clean boost or distorted boost. Then crank up the volume on the amp as high as you can stand! Always keep the master dimed if you have one, and use the preamp gain as your volume. The idea is, instead of relying on one thing to get your drive tones, you have the pedal, the preamp, and the power amp, plus probably some OT saturation going on. None of them are really heavily distorted, but all of them combined make a nice thick tone with tons of harmonic complexity and wicked sustain!

But that's just my take. It's music and if there's one thing I've discovered over the years, it's that finding the perfect sound is more about critical listening than about equipment selection.

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
I have gotten away from pedal + clean amp. It never sounded as good live as it did at home. I do think it is a great low volume home set up, though.

(I know many famous people run live rigs this way. It just isn't my preference.)

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Ha, funny you mention that...My fuzz pedal through the clean channel of the PWE sounds ridiculously good...Better than many OD channels of other amps I've played...Also sounds great with a ZenDrive, or BB pre...
ZenDrive, BB Pre, Bogner pedals and many others through a good clean channel is as good as any amp I have aplayed or owned. So much so, that I could live with just buying pedals going forward, maybe just get a Mesa E.D. or Lonestar.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
ZenDrive, BB Pre, Bogner pedals and many others through a good clean channel is as good as any amp I have aplayed or owned. So much so, that I could live with just buying pedals going forward, maybe just get a Mesa E.D. or Lonestar.
However, I think there is a feel element I still prefer from an amp over a pedal into a clean amp.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member

Crunch CH2 - Xotic BB
Rock CH3 - Xotic SL

Have you checked out some new amps? The Mesa Royal Atlantic and Electra Dyne takes pedals really well but are so much fun and big sounding.

Also Stone, the Fryette SigX is almost perfect as a platform for pedals, plus it is like 3 single channel amps in one.

Pedals can fall a little short when it comes to high gain. Try to replicate the high gain rhythm and lead tones of something like a Dual Rectifier or SigX.

ken374

Bogners through my 68 twin custom:) the beast! I use to switch up amps like twice a year, the bogners and the fenders are keeping me satisfied. With good pedals you can change the character any time you want. Metal , blues, vintage and so on.

ledzep618

I've used pedals and I've used amp dirt. Right now I personally prefer the Blue/Red channel of my Mesa Royal Atlantic over OD pedals through the clean channel. But I do love a fuzz face through the clean channel of the RA-100. I think that rivals the gain channels and I frequently just leave the fuzz face on and work the volume knob.

Last edited:

Lullabies

Pedal into clean amp user here.. I love using pedals. gives me more choices for dirt and fuzz and sounds good when you find the right pedal/amp combo. I never get why some people who play just the amps distortion put down pedal users like some TGP members here have done to me. You can get great tones either way IMO

I use a Wampler Triple Wreck into a clean Ampeg VT-22 or Mesa 5:50 and a fulltone ultimate octave for my fuzz

Marc Roy

I know this goes back to the amp vs pedal into clean amp discussion, but I just wanted to report something that I just can't believe.

I am noticing in some situations, running a "good" OD pedal into a "good" clean amp or clean channel like on my VHT ST/50 or PWE Event Horizon, sounds spectacular! Tones are responsive, very full and wide, 3-D sounding. Sounds are as good as my amps and in some scenarios, I prefer the pedal into the clean channel!

What gives?

Maybe this is why my childhood guitar teacher prefers his Plexi with some inexpensive pedals to a modern channel switcher!

Thoughts? Conversation on this topic? :)
My PWE takes pedals incredibly well too, especially when the clean side is set to a ballsy, punchy tone. Love my AC Booster through this channel.

dk123123dk

I think it all depends on your priorities for the type of sound you want.

Typically if you are a high gain type player who rarely plays clean, you will use a channel switcher that is famous for its high gain.

But if you are the type of player who covets a spectacular clean tone, and typically plays lower gain type of sounds a few times a gig, you will seek out a single channel clean amp.

Both are great approaches, it really just depends on what kind of tone you go for most of the time.

I started as the channel switcher, and now prefer to play cleanish and build gain with pedals. But there is no right or wrong way to do it.

dk

ken374

What turned me off of using pedal I had a Engl Fireball with a great clean channel and lots of head room, So I tried a Wampler Pinnicle while it was ok it didnt have the punch/warmth of my OD channel! but the bogners with the boost is truly amp like. And I like it over the Mesa mini modern channel so im sold

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Do any of you prefer 6L6 or KT88 tubes for pedals? My experience is all with EL34 based amps and I LOVE it!