OD and Fuzz users: how do you pop up your solos?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blueprint, Jun 23, 2006.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

If you get your dirty tones from a pedal into an amp setted clean and you want something to make your lead tones cut through, do you use a clean boost at the end or at the begining of the chain, another dirt pedal, a volume pedal, the guitar's volume pot...?
    :confused:

2. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Hi Bruno, very interesting question, interested in the answers...

for now I tend to play an OD pedal into a clean amp for rythm (Eternity), and for lead tones, sometimes I overload it with a fuzz in front of it (ZVex FF) or a Wah in front of it

3. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

My overdrive comes from a H&K Tube Factor into a clean amp. For leads, I stack an OCD after it with the gain low (9:00) and the treble and volume turned up a bit so it cuts through.

4. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

My main setup is the OD-100 crunch channel bright switch on and alternate between o/d's depending where i am on the neck of the guitar and what i'm going for. In general if i'm low down on the neck with the bridge p/up i tend to use the cot50 or Tim, general all over the shop 'shredding' tends to be the RC, and up high vocal singing stuff tends to be the Eternity or Klon. I use the Tube Driver for different middle of the road rhythm stuff...Dat's wot works for me :)

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Have some sort of boost or drive AFTER your main OD. I place the clean boost section of my TC Jauernig Gristle King after the OD section.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I just started using the Zvex Super Hard On boost pedal, and specifically as the absolute first in line after the guitar, because the pedal is designed for ultra-high input impedance, and you lose that advantage if it is downstream...as the first pedal, the high input impedance will "capture" and preserve as much of the pickup signal as possible. I use mine, so far, as only a slight boost, and really like the effect it has on all the other pedals. Pedals that used to tend to get a little thin, stay more thick, and yet it doesn't "darken"...just seems to preserve the sound of the guitar all down the line.

7. K-man

K-man Member

Wow, you got it down to a science. You must look like your tap dancing!

8. Scooter

Scooter Supporting Member

I use a volume pedal, but I don't really like it. Too hard to control in terms of getting a consistent volume - for example it's great for "turning up" for solos, but after the solo it's tricky to bring it back down to the volume it was at before the solo. Seems like I'm constantly riding it. The worst part is setting it for intros. Sometimes I'll come blasting in too loudly and other times it's set too low and I get this wimpy tone. Might try the boost pedal idea.

9. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

I have a Gaspedal Carb, Pro Analog Dirt Royale with Cheese and a Skreddy Mayo for OD/crunch/Fuzz on my board.

I run a Burriss Boostiest after them for two kinds of lead boost. The Boostiest is a dual pedal with a clean boost and a TS-Style OD.

I also usually use an attenuator, and I sometimes reach over and turn it up a bit for solos.

10. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I've had great success with a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive in the down position for my heavy overdrive, and when I go for a solo I kick in the Timmy set on low gain. It gives it a nice volume boost with nice sustain without being overly compressed.

11. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

I dragged my Dr. Z upstairs and was practicing along with Help on the Way and didn't notice I wasn't using any pedals at all!!! What's goin' on? Usually I lean heavily on the Tube Screamers, set a wee hotter than my clean tone, kick on the clean boost just in case, use my big toe to roll the Katana wheel up or down, and constantly fidget with pedals.... till last night. I think I need to check out this pedal-less world a bit more. Was fun! But in terms of what you asked, my fuzz pedals don't respond to the Katana, so their levels have to be set equal to the boosted OD chain. The Katana boost is last in the chain. Fuzzes sandwich the ODs which are clustered together in the middle.

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use a catalinbread sagrado poblano picoso last in my chain. Bumps everything up nicely