OD choice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by realbluesoldkid, Apr 9, 2015.

1. realbluesoldkid

realbluesoldkid Member

Hi , I know it's not easy , but could someone suggest me an OD a warm ,creamy,not enraged or invasive and (...!) cheap OD ? A lot of thanks

2. BlackOne

BlackOne Member

Use a search option. There are a lot of threads with answered questions like yours!

3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Only on TGP is an OD described so sexually. My rec is any Klone (Soul Food being the cheapest). Clips of the Chellee Odie Classic sound pretty creamy to my ears, too.

4. chelleeguitars

chelleeguitars Member

The Odie Classic is pretty versatile. I'm sure you can get something you like out of it.

5. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I like and use a Tim and a Simble. There are less expensive versions of each. Also, the Creme Brulee is not that expensive.

6. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

EHX has some amazing options right now including the TS-modeled East River Drive and the Glove (which I have not tried but sounds like an OCD IMHO).

Also, I really like the EHX Soul Food as a standalone drive.

All are under $100!

It's really funny when people do this. We discuss the same things over and over and it's actually part of the fun. Can we try a new challenge where we actually answer the OP?

7. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

8. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I agree.

There's redundancy in many questions and answers but there are new pedals appearing every week so relying solely on past recommendations does not always reflect the latest options.

-bEn r.

9. gwluthier

gwluthier Member

Radial Tonebone Trimode .. 12ax7 tube powered boost channels of deliciousness

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

11. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Thirthy dallah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My0LHzD30MM

[​IMG]

Good place to start, and yes, there are plenty of others. This one has a TS-9 mode as well as a "hot" mode for more gain. You will have fun with this one and if anything happens to it, you can find a replacement easily.

12. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

What's the rest of your rig? We'd be more able to help if we knew the other components; what sounds awesome through one rig will sound like s**t through another.

13. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Name your current guitar and amp and you'll get some real specific pedal recommendations. And they will be accurate too.

14. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

15. realbluesoldkid

realbluesoldkid Member

ok guys , you're very gentle so I'll try to 'explain', but please don't laugh too much ! (no gigs experience , I play at home). My gear : an Hagstrom Swede with I guess two P-90 and a renewed old Hondo H-930 (BC Rich copy) with two Tonerider hb (a Rocksong on the bridge and an AC-4 on the neck ) ; the amp is a Blackstar HT5-R . I invain try to reach the sound I need to really joy the licks of Clapton , Gibbons , Winter , Page as Steve Trovato , Robert Renman ,Jesse Gress or other truefire educators ( I play since four years ) interchanging a Diamond Compressor , a Maxon OD-808, a Joyo AC Tone , a Joyo American Sound , a Joyo Sweet Baby and a Donner Delay ; some good results , but I'd never got the fat , creamed , fleshy , smooth and 'vintaged' tone I like ...

16. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Try this one. It's only $100 new.

17. BlackOne

BlackOne Member

I didn't mean to be rude or something... I found it funny, because the same thread was opened yesterday and it is answered all over. :D

18. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I agree with the BOSS OD-3 suggestions. You already have a TS type and evidently, it's not working for you. Another suggestion that may work is the MXR il Torino...MOSFET circuit design that is very airy, uncompressed, and responsive to volume and playing dynamics. Good price and sounds significantly different from a TS, so it's a different OD flavour to try.

19. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Blackstar combo or head/cab?

I'd say that speaker is main thing that needs fixing, that amp shouldn't really even need a pedal to cop Clapton, winters or page tones. Until you get a speaker in there you like using a pedal as bandaid isn't going to fix anything. Look at Celestion V type. Of the amp/speaker equation, speaker is easily 70% of the equation. When you can go guitar>cable>amp and get good tones and pretty close to tones your after then you can start adding pedals to get the slight variances you want, until then no pedal is going to magically make amp better.

Invest your money in a good speaker and a good preamp tube.

Get you agood nos/anos preamp tube, shouldn't be hard for you to track down a slightly used Amperex, GE or Mullard over there.

20. realbluesoldkid

realbluesoldkid Member

Thanks ,but I really can't change amp here ; I'll try one of the OD suggested,possibly true bypass