OD decision HELP

radioboyeric

I am currently trying to find what OD pedal might suit my pedal well stacking with my j rockett DUDE and j rockett Blue Note.
I'm looking just for that extra OD that compliments the Dude and BN.
Any suggestions?

I've looked at various YouTube videos for the following that peeked my interest:
- j rockett GTO
- JHS AT
- JHS charlies
- Jhs superbolt
- Friedman be OD
- j rockett archer Klon
- xotic soul driven
- JHS TWIN TWELVE

I know it's all over the place but starting here.

Thanks in advanced

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I am currently trying to find what OD pedal might suit my pedal well stacking with my j rockett DUDE and j rockett Blue Note.
Any suggestions?

I've looked at various YouTube videos for the following that peeked my interest:
- j rockett GTO
- JHS AT
- JHS charlies
- Jhs superbolt
- Friedman be OD
- j rockett archer Klon
- xotic soul driven
- JHS TWIN TWELVE

Thanks in advanced

My experience of the GTO is lots and lots of compression and a pretty woofy bottom end. The archer was one of the better klon style pedals I've played but that one seems like an outlier on your list in terms of style. The jhs angry Charlie and BE OD are the only other ones I've played and the AC was by far the one I preferred. The BE was a buzzy noisy mess to me. Both have stupid amounts of gain though... the AC felt way more dynamic and punchy to me. I'd say the archer stacked into either of yours would push them nicely

radioboyeric

My experience of the GTO is lots and lots of compression and a pretty woofy bottom end. The archer was one of the better klon style pedals I've played but that one seems like an outlier on your list in terms of style. The jhs angry Charlie and BE OD are the only other ones I've played and the AC was by far the one I preferred. The BE was a buzzy noisy mess to me. Both have stupid amounts of gain though... the AC felt way more dynamic and punchy to me. I'd say the archer stacked into either of yours would push them nicely

Thank you BTJ.

I was also thinking about the PettyJohn Chime pedal as well.

Ryan Swanson

Chime is great pedal that can stack really well; most lower gain pedals tend to stack better with other pedals than the super-high gain ones, because they already have all the gain they need, and can really flub out/ feedback if paired with the "wrong" pedal. Unless you are looking for a change in frequency (possibly a mids boost for solos), which can be done best with a graphic EQ pedal.

Out of the drives you've listed, the Soul Driven or Twin Twelve would be my picks; you've already got a dumble-y pedal (Dude), so you'd have no shortage of mids if you were to get a Klone. However, the Soul Driven not only sounds great, but has a very useable mids-boost knob in case you're looking for that kind of sound. Otherwise, you can dial the mids back if you need it.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
JHS Ruby Red. One side is a Superbolt, the other a boost. Together (and separately) they are HEAVEN! It's a killer pedal! :)

BerkeleyJones

Any suggestions?

- j rockett GTO
- JHS AT
- JHS charlies
- Jhs superbolt
- Friedman be OD
- j rockett archer Klon
- xotic soul driven
- JHS TWIN TWELVE

Thanks in advanced

Hey man. Great drives you listed but the range is from transparent low gain (archer) all the way to high gain chaos (be-OD) which renders advice a little obsolete. The Friedman is a distortion and the archer could even be a clean boost. Venus and mars.

Let's take a step back!

What amp, guitar, pickups, and genre of music do you play?

Are you looking to push the other overdrives into further gain, or use one after them?

If you're looking for a heavy distortion to push them into lead territory; the JHS or be-OD will work great. Btw, love the Blue Note!

radioboyeric

Gotcha...understood my request was a bit all over the place but wanted to see what people might think about how to stack them or how these might play well with each. Regardless of high/mid/low level gain.

But yes let's step back...I get a bit ahead of myself.

Guitars - fender strat 40 anniversary Mexican made.
Ibanez artcore hallowbody

Amp - Fender Deluxe reverb reissue newer version.

Songwriter of Martin sexton, Ryan Adams, Beck, Prince, bluesy, etc...

And thank you for taking the time to read this! Appreciate it!

71strat

Look into a Roger Mayer Kuro Kage. You may never stack pedals again. Just kidding.

But the KK has what is called Parallel Processing.

It has a Independent High/Low Band, x 2 Independent EQ/Drive..1 for each Band x 1 Mix/Output Control. You can also use either Band Independently.

Mike Landau uses the Voodoo TT

Kuro Kage

agiehler

Unless you are looking for a change in frequency (possibly a mids boost for solos), which can be done best with a graphic EQ pedal.

+1, why not check out using an EQ pedal to run into the OD. You can boost the level to drive the pedal harder and tweak the frequency to whatever type of "boost" you're looking for.

It doesn't seem like the type of music you're playing requires as much gain as you're gonna get from stacking 2 OD pedals.

I use a JRockett .45 Caliber with my Blue Note and it stacks very well. I use the .45 for a lower gain overdriven sound and the Blue Note pushes it nicely when both on. I've also been thinking about adding The Dude as a lead solo pedal.

radioboyeric

I use a JRockett .45 Caliber with my Blue Note and it stacks very well. I use the .45 for a lower gain overdriven sound and the Blue Note pushes it nicely when both on. I've also been thinking about adding The Dude as a lead solo pedal.

I'm thinking to whittling it down to a few:

PettyJohn Chime
.45 caliber
Xotic soul driver

My thought is to use the BN as a boost or leave it on. The Dude for driving solos, also rolling off the volume for some rhythms. Then either of these above pedals for the main rhythms.

Thoughts?

I know my 2 Rockett pedals play nice together. I've been using either the BN or the .45 as the rhythm tone depending on song or the BN into the .45 if I need a bit more gain. Mind you, I run all my OD pedals at fairly low gain. Currently, I use a Mooer Black Secret as a solo boost but like what I hear in all The Dude demos I've seen so have been thinking of trying one out to possibly replace the BS.

I've never played a Chime though it also sounds nice in all the videos I've seen. Would probably make for a nice foundation drive. None of my local guitar shops have it and I haven't wanted to buy direct without being able to try it first. The Soul Driven I haven't heard so can't comment. You probably can't go wrong with any of them, just depends on your gear and what sound you're going for.

John K.

I'm thinking to whittling it down to a few:

PettyJohn Chime
.45 caliber
Xotic soul driver

My thought is to use the BN as a boost or leave it on. The Dude for driving solos, also rolling off the volume for some rhythms. Then either of these above pedals for the main rhythms.

Thoughts?
I've got a J Rockett Animal if you want. I think I've heard that the .45 is the Tour Series version of the Animal without the Snarl switch...but the Snarl is soooooo good. It's great for a crunchy rhythm pedal. But yeah, J Rockett pedals stack really well with each other.

Obligatory Pete Thorn demo:

Let me know if you're interested!

My suggestion is what I'm doing for myself...

I've found that I want another low gainer for stacking, or a high gainer for lead sounds, or a fuzz for some
crazy, out of control sounds. So, I'm going for the Source Audio LA Lady, or the Kingmaker.

The fact that I want all three of those sounds, but only have space for one, makes me think that having a drive that not only can achieve all of these sounds, but allow me to save presets too, will save me the pain of trying to decide what would best compliment my BB Preamp (which is my main OD).

With the Neuro App, and the seemingly endless tweakability, the Source Audio drives seem to almost be the perfect companion to an already very well fleshed out drive section. Which is it what it seems you have with your Blue Note and Dude. You've got a great selection of sounds on your board, so what do you want? Low gain? High gain? Fuzz? Boost? EQ? The Source Audio pedals can do it all for you.

Duck_Dude

Maybe a swissarmy knife like the Stone Deaf PDF-2 ? Can be a Od, a fuzz, can be put before (more gain, more bass) or after (more volume, more highs), can help you manage your sound if you play on different places....

-Empire

You already have two overdrives that you like, so why not just turn the drive up on your main one and use your guitar's volume knob to get different amounts of gain? Then use the 2nd one for big leads.

Jamil Ecrire

I went on a Klone binge. I have the Aluminum Falcon, JRockett Archer Ikon and an actual Klon KTR.

They all three sound so close I can't tell the difference. I'd say get the Archer because it's the smallest and cheapest with best support.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom