OD/Dist suggestion for the tone I hear in my head?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ari, Jul 25, 2006.

1. ari

ari Member

Here's what I'm after:
    1. bright ditortion with excellent note definition (stringy)
    2. able to achieve great sustain with traditional single coils
    3. even at high sustain level, the guitar's voice comes through (as opposed to most high gain situation where the guitar ends up becoming an input device)
    4. cleans up well with volume knob
    5. Voxy chime
    Skreddy Top Fuel actually seems to have everything except #5. Other Voxy pedals seem to focus more on emulating AC30's behavior-- which, when turned up, seems to turn a bit nasty for my taste. Low end and articulation are gone. I want it to remain clear, articulate, but still chimy...

I'd love to add a bit of Voxy chime to some of Top Fuel's Pink Floyd-ish gain sound. Gilmour with a hint of May, I guess.

Anyone else want that kind of tone? I can't really name any artists or songs to tell you "that's it!"

Is this possible in one pedal, or possibly some pedal combinations? I have a good, transparent compressor -- so having to add that to achieve the sustain level is not a problem. Reasonably priced(<$200) is ideal, but first I'd like to know if it's possible at all.

Thanks!

ari

2. Sid

Sid Member

3. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Hermida Mosferatu should work for points 1-4. I wouldn't say it sounds like a Vox. It's a very present, cutting sound though.

4. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

You could also try an OCD.....with the tone knob up it gets pretty bright and covers the other points you mentioned......

5. ari

ari Member

Thanks, but I heard all the clips of EGDM -- and at higher gain it seems to have that Vox nastiness (I realize that it doesn't sound nasty at all to most people, it's just me). Bass gets squashed, articulation fuzzy.

I want the chime that I can hear in clean to low gain Vox -- somehow retained and mixed with clear, articulate and sustainy OD/dist. So in the other words, the resulting tone really doesn't sound like a real Vox.

I'm not sure if what I'm saying is possible, at all.
    :(

ari

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

You just need to get a Vox amp! You're right about the EGDM, it does lean towards the warm overdrive of an AC30, it's 'The Kinks' & Brian May and yes, it can quite nasty at some settings.

However, it can be tamed, with careful tweaking and the right set up (single coils) the EGD can produce some very light and chiming overdrive that remains tight in the low end and very articulate. Here's a thirty second clip of the EGD going from light, to medium and full overdrive... http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Teahead%20-%20bjfemeraldshort.mp3

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Wow! That is transparent

8. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

i was after that sound about a year ago....

Maybe this might work for you. I had a very good sounding Hotcake and put it at about medium gain...somewhere below 12 oclock depending on my mood. Had a great sound but not much sustain. So i slapped a Tonepress in front and I was happy for leads. The Tone press let the attack thru so it sounded pretty natural. Turned the comp off for chords. Pretty cool setup for me. I was playing into a EL84 amp that was just begining to break up.

Bob

9. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Kind of sounds like Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. He gets a good sound from Colorsound Overdriver clone or a Lovetone Brown Source(I think it the Perscription Electronics one) into an AC30.

Not sure how to get that all in one pedal. I'm sort of looking for the same idea, and have been lusting after a Top Fuel for a while. Something like that but with a Voxy chime would be even cooler - I hope you are successful.

10. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

it can't do saturated gain, but Durham Electronics SexDrive is a great chimey boost.

11. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Yeah, it's hard to get chime and sustain in the same package. Stacking is more realistic. Take a twangy, treble-boosting thing first and then follow with a smooth, driving thing.

12. Sid

Sid Member

what Marc said is exactly what i wanna do:RoCkIn

screwdriver + ??(maybe a bb preamp)

13. ari

ari Member

Thanks for your response!

In your opnion, is Screw Driver or Top Fuel more suited for the tone I described above? I really love the clips of Top Fuel but it sounds like Screw Driver can cover some similar territory (and it sounds very good, too). Screw Driver being a treble boost, I wondered if you can get more chime...

Or stacking the two??:D

ari

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I would go for the Screwdriver. Sounds quite alot like what you are describing. Still, I also think you should have a Vox to feed it into. B.T.W. Anubody tried a Screwdriver with the sharpness quite high into a Mayo with the sustain way down? Very cool!

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I can cover a lot of those bases running the Hellbilly (fuzz/treble booster/booster) into the Hotcake Bluesberry into the Ghia.

16. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

In theory it sounds really good! I'd really like to heat that. Can you make clips?

17. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

The nature of "chime" is the way the string attack decays naturally. So that's almost in direct opposition to sustain, which is more of a liquid sound. You'll notice, for example, that Eric Johnson plays a Fender amp for his chimey tones and switches to a Marshall amp for his smooth, sustaining tones.

The Screw Driver is definitely designed for chime + as much dirt as you like, but it'll do creamy, even fat tones too, depending on where you set the sharpness control. It's not really your "go-to" pedal when you're looking for sustain, though.

The Top Fuel is a high-gain, sustaining distortion that retains a sharp attack at all settings, with a midrangey eq to cut through the mix.

You would want to stack the Screw Driver with something that was clean-ish to retain the chime. Too much drive, and you'd just end up with a distortion that has a strong, aggressive attack. I haven't tried very many other boutique drives or boosts, but from what I hear a BB or AC booster might be more what you're looking for in something to stack with a Screw Driver. Maybe even a compressor if you just want more even signal level and clean sustain with no added dirt. I have tried that, though; and for me, I definitely prefer the Screw Driver without a compressor in the chain.

I have not stacked a Screw Driver with a Top Fuel yet. I'll have to check that out. I have stacked two Screw Drivers, though, and it's pretty cool.

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I just may... I have too many effects to choose from, I need to start making clips of individual pedals or smaller stacks of them... Soundclick seems to be the place for free clip storage, eh? Can I legally put covers on there?

19. ari

ari Member

Thanks for the explanation. Your definition of chime makes sense.

It does sound like Screw Driver plus compressor would the ticket, though. Like I said, I do have a good, transparent compressor, so I don't need a lot of gain. I guess the key may be to get the magical balance of chime, transparency and dirt, then use compressor to sustain it.

Well, that makes it sound like compressor should come after the chain, but I am guessing the opporite -- comp first to even out and sustain the tone (without killing the chime or the attack) and then distort it.

From your description, Screw Driver does seem to fit the bill for that.

ari

20. ari

ari Member

I haven't had success with finding any info or clips for Hellbilly or Hotcake. Can you point me in the right direction??

Thanks!

ari