OD/Distortion for a Marshall voiced amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blues Jr, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

After doing much reading round here about "Marshall in a box" type pedals, i've noticed that many of these overdrives & distortions are designed to get that "Marshall" sound into a clean amp, especially Fenders. But what if you have a Marshall style voiced amp?

I have a Traynor YCS50 that is distinctly Marshall sounding, both the drive channel, and clean side. I do have a Box of Rock that i think is great into this amp, and may turn out to be exactly what I'm looking for in the end. I've read good things about the OCD & King of Britians as well. But I wouldn't mind some other ideas from Marshall & Marshall style amp owners on what OD/Distortions boxes they use to juice their amps.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Haven't tried a BOR, but my favorites for my Jcm800 are a Rat II and Maxon OD808. My FDII was sounding really good last time I played it too.

3. jgyn

jgyn Member

My favorite OD for the Marshall JTM45 and Superlead is the Zvex Box Of Rock.

4. Burgs

Burgs Member

You might want to try a treblebooster as well. They're generally calibrated to give Marshall type amps a good kick in the guts. There are a zillion takes on the Rangemaster out there but the Beano and 65 Amps Colour Boost are two goodies that come to mind.

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

Another good one's the Barber Direct Drive LG (low gain).

6. Blues Jr

Ya, a treblebooster crossed my mind. I did give a Keeley JavaBoost a whrill a few days ago, and it was ok, but still thought the BOR was better.

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Boss SD-1 in to a JCM 800 here. Can't beat the tone.

8. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Xotic BB and or SD-1

9. Blues Jr

The SD-1 seems to have alot of attention these days. SD-1 threads and posts everywhere lately. I'm surprised. I must have bought and sold that pedal 10 times over the years and always came away thinking it was just ok. How are you guys using it?

10. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I find it the SD-1 a tad noisier when I want more gain.. for ths reason, I am soo far sticking with the BB and the bad monkey. Bad monkey cuts more and is crunchier. I am also waiting on a swap in board for my DOD YJM308 to put it to grey specs... hopefully that will get the job done. I'd be interested in hearing someone with the LTD low gain do some clips with a MArshall on brekup though..

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

The Box of Rock is hard to beat for sure, the AnalogMan King of Tone sounds good into every amp I've tried it with so far and I've also had a lot of great tone with Rat pedals over the years...those are my top 3 picks.

12. ZR4400

ZR4400 Member

I agree with the earlier posts. A boss SD-1 is hard to beat. I have an extra one in excellent condition for sale if you are interested. Photo available upon request. PM me.

13. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

I have a keeley sd-1 5 star ge double stack for sale for $90

14. goodtone

goodtone Member

An SD-1 into a good JCM-800 can turn heads at your next gig .

15. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I think the best thing for a Marshall is a germanium fuzz. Treble boosters are cool as well.

dk

16. Blues Jr

I gave a Bad Monkey & SD-1 a try today, and both were pretty good. The BM was more versatile with the EQ. The Box of Rock was a lot more open sounding, and it added a TON of bottom end. A germ fuzz eh? I wonder what a Beano Boost or something like that would be like.

17. peridot1

peridot1 Member

damage control liquid blues > sansamp character british

my marshall tone

18. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Can't go wrong with a Rangemaster style treble boost with a Marshall.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  19. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

wow, I have never tried the SD-1. I can say the OD-3 is nice with a non-master marshall.

20. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

+1 for SD-1 into a marshall. i run my DSL50 a just a little bit dirty. i use an eq to push the mids into a nice OD, and the SD-1 to make it really bark. i prefer the SD-1 pushing the front end of the clean channel to the amps dirty channel. just sounds better to me.