OD for 1974x

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JES1680, Jan 1, 2006.

1. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Looking for opinions on an overdrive I can use with my Marshall 1974x that will get me as close to the sound of that amp cranked, when I have to run it at low volume.

The closest I've come is an HBE powerscreamer in clean boost mode that is hit with a Barber DD with gain all the way down and level up. Essentially in clean boost mode as well.

Any Ideas on a single pedal that will get me that classic Marshall crunch from a pristine clean amp?

Thanks

2. tuna

tuna Member

I like the way my Fulltone OCD works with this amp, very transparent and will give that classic Marshall tone. There is a clip on the Fulltone website using the OCD through a Marshall 18 watt.

3. Craise

Craise Member

Check out the BJF Dyna Red, pricey but well worth it. Check out the reviews and do a search on it. ;)

4. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

This clip was recorded at bedroom level.http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/files/les_paul_bedroom_level_germanium.mp3

The guitar is a Gibson Les Paul R7.
    Pedal is a Throbak Overdrive Boost in Germanium Mode with Pre Gain on.
    Amp is the ThroBak 18 watt Classic 1x12" combo (1974x clone).

I love the vintage non master volume tube amp designs but bedroom level playing can be a trick without an attenuator. When I designed my Colorsound Overdriver clone, the Overdrive Boost, I devised a switchable germanium modification that gives extremely natural overdriven tone at bedroom levels. I now use the Overdrive Boost instead of my Marshall Power Brake for bedroom level playing with my 18 watt clone.

I felt I should speak up since I have developed a product that addresses this specific issue with this specific amp.

www.throbak.com

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Hi there, what a great amp you've got! Been GASsing for one, the local guitar store has one and my pal and I have tested it many many times.

What kind of guitar do you have? With Gibsons the amp doesnt seem to stay clean all that long.

Hot Cake is the general tool for this kind of thing, I suggest you try one. It's always been really good for me, worked wonderfully and has always been true to the sound of my amp and guitar. I have two Hot Cakes to do just that, get the amps cranked sound at lower volumes. I guess OCD would do a wonderfull job as well, a real quality product.

One time we tested the Menatone Top Boost In A Can with the amp in the guitar store and my pal ended up buying that pedal on the spot, so I guess that you should consider the Menatone as well!

6. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I often have to run my 1974x at low volumes as well. So a good OD is crucial for me. Anyway I've tried a Liquid Sunshine, Hellbilly, Tim, MJM Rangemaster and OCD with my 1974x. I still love the Tim for slight breakup stuff, but to get a cranked amp sound at bedroom volumes, nothing even comes cloese to the OCD.

7. JES1680

Thanks, the OCD is on my list to try. I'm very picky about OD's so this may take some experimentation.
    I'm using a Suhr T and an R9 and a sprinkling of P90 guitars with the 1974x. It sounds really good flat out, but also has a great clean tone. So far I'm very happy with the amp.

8. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I have an 18 watt clone that built and needed an OD for low volume playing.

I tried a ton of OD's and the one I've found that works the best (IMHO) is the Zakk Wylde OD from MXR. Gives you the cranked sound of the amp at very low volumes. I use this pedal all the time for rehearsal as sometimes we practice in a living room s volumes need to be really quite.

It's also good at giving that amp a nice kick in the rear for a little extra gain and feedback at cranked volumes.

In second place I would have to say the Fulltone OCD. To me the OCD is a bit more raw sounding whereas the Zakk Wylde OD s a bit smoother.

Heck, you can go pick up the ZW OD from guitar center to try it out. if you don't like it you can always return it within 30 days.

I've always found the Marshall 18 watt to be very picky when it comes to OD pedals. Btw, my guitars are an R9 and an EJ strat. Both sound great through the ZW OD.

-Rich

9. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

Im surprised no one has mentioned 12ax7 pedal yet. If you jumper both channels together and run a CHandler TUbe Driver or TOnebone HOt British ( KEep your EQs on the either pedal flat or off ! Straight up!) and youll be able to run your amp at any volume you want with extreme blooming sustain and drive! Much more effective than say a traditional type od or distortion to push a non master type circuit IMO. good luck.
    Il ike my Valvedriver

10. JES1680

Thanks for the recomendations everyone, especially daneswede1.I picked up a Tonebone Hot British today to try out. It is by far the most Marshall sounding, (or what I perceive a Marshall should sound like), pedal I've ever heard. This is perfect for low volume playing with my 1974.

A side benefit is that it can be a very high gain pedal. Not Boogie gain which I don't care for. I did most of my learning in the 80's where everyone was running hotrodded Marshalls, (or rack units). This allows me to re-live the hair band days as well.:D

Thanks again!

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'd still give the OCD a run. Raw sounding yet simple to use. The thing I dislike about Tonebones is their complexity. Loads of buttons and knobs!

B.T.W. Can you get a clean sound with a Les Paul from the 1974X with the guitar plugged into the high input? Man, I want one of those amps...

12. JES1680

You can get a nice clean into the high output, but not for long. It gets dirty pretty quickly especially if you have hotter HBs. Better clean is achieved by using the low input, its pretty nice, not Club Royal or Deluxe Reverb clean, but it works well with single coils.

I have a 2 year old that likes to hang out while I play, so when he's around I keep the vol pretty low. I want to give him a chance to lose his hearing on his own the way I did. When he's not however, ths 1974x get to breath and thats where the really good sounds live.:AOK

13. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Wow,

Sounds great! I just might have to drag the 1974X from the guitar store to my practice pad for a test session or two. I use a Les Paul Standard with Burstbuckers. If I remember correct the sound was pretty overdriven from 10 o'clock upwards. Correct?

14. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Another voice for OCD with the 1974X. Very close to the same sound as just cranking it when you put the amp just at the point of breakup (like 1-1.5 on the volume knob)

15. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

How does it sound with your Aiken?

16. doublea

doublea Member

Try a Cornish SS-3 or G2. Excellent for getting great tone and low volumes. Maybe even get both in a duplex pedal if you want to spend that much. It'll be the last OD/Distortion pedal you'll ever buy. The Fulltone OCD is a decent OD but sounds like rubbish when compared with a Cornish pedal.

17. woude

woude Member

OCD is great, keeley modded bluesdriver or keeley modded sd-1 is good too.