OD for 72 RI tele into 65 Twin RI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onesong321, Feb 23, 2012.

1. onesong321

onesong321 Member

Hello All - I believe this is my first post! I am really struggling to find an overdrive tone that fits with my rig and have just sold my last attempt and now need to decide on what I want to give a try next. I will be buying new so I have the option of returning, but I would love some thoughts on where to start so as to hopefully avoid the delays - as my band has pretty busy schedule upcoming, including tracking a new record in April.

I play a 72 Deluxe Reissue Telecaster with some common mods - all new wiring harness, I swapped the pickup positions and changed the pots to 500k, but added orange drop .047uf caps. It is a good bit brighter than it was stock.

My amp is a 65 blackface Twin Reverb reissue. Has brand new tubes in it. I get a LOT of complements on my clean tone. "Glass" and "Crystal clear" are the usual terms.

I do love my clean tone, and I want a semi-transparent drive tone to match it. I don't want to feel like everything has suddenly changed. I lean towards pretty mid/low-gain stuff for rhythms, but will also want to be able to boost as well as stack another OD.

I play rhythm quite a bit, but also a lot of melodic lead stuff - we don't really do 'solos' per se. We're an indie-rock kind of band, in the vein of Death Cab, Brand New's The Devil and God, Jimmy Eat World's Clarity etc.

Here is what I've tried:
    Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
    OCD
    Catalinbread SFT (still have it, will use it for stacking/leads)
    Catalinbread Formula No 5
    T1m The Pearl

These what I'm looking at right now:
    Bearfoot Honey Bee OD
    Wampler Black 65
    Machine Head 72 degrees

Thoughts?

2. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

The Wampler Black 65 would be good. Personally... I would try a Boss OD-3!!!!
    Works for me.

3. jborges

jborges Member

I would suggest a Tim/timmy or barber half gainer ( or ltd) Those have worked the best for me for that pretty transparent lower gain stuff... I play lots of rhythm too.

4. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

JHS Morning Glory for me. ;)
    Also, a lot of people around here swear by the Timmy for this usage.
    Your guitar+amp combo sounds awesome...I can see why you would want to avoid "coloration" in your main drive sound. However, mids are not the enemy, and after you find a nice transparent drive, you might want to look into a tubescreamber-type for those "melodic lead lines" you were talking about.

5. terrapin

terrapin Member

Wampler Black 65..........................

6. Tysie

Tysie Member

I've got a 72 RI thinline with the same pickups but without all the fancy mods and my pedalboard currently only has one OD pedal; a Tim Overdrive. In my opinion it's the perfect OD tone for these kinds of guitars (and so many more, I'm sure..).
    Grab one, it's worth having around even if you don't use it regularly.

7. markxander

markxander Member

I used to use the same guitar and the same amp to play that kind of music

Diamond J Drive mk3 was the one for me, definitely worth looking at

8. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Similar rig, similar music: Solidgold Superdrive--the sound of your Twin breaking up (or more), but at a manageable level. MUCH better than the Machinehead, but I haven't played the others you're considering. -E

9. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

analogman silver od9 w/ badbob boost

10. Blaine23

Blaine23 Member

I've got a very similar setup - currently using a 72 RI Tele Deluxe and a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI.

For OD, I've found that the Tim pedal stacked into an Analogman Silver TS9 sounds amazing. Gives me a lot of heavily broken up tones not far off from Death Cab for Cutie and Built To Spill.

I've also used a Lovepedal Eternity Burst a bit, for a much brighter tone on a few tunes. Much different sound, but really cool.

11. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

I own a couple 72 Tele Deluxe RIs and the stock pickups were always the problem with dirt pedals not sounding right. Just total mud and loss of definition with them, even with pot and cap changes.

I finally ditched the ****** stock pickups for some Gibsons, and I couldn't be happier! Now my white FSR 72 Tele deluxe is my number one!

12. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Um.... some sort of tubescreamer. Gotta bump up those mids!

13. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

Boss OD-3, Timmy, Drivetrain, Zendrive... all good options.