OD for rhythm?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Resonate01, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

I've been looking for a solid rhythm pedal for a while.

Using a Dr Z Maz 18 with a Musicman Axis SS and a Strat and I play mostly P&W in church.

What would you all recommend? Here's what's on my shortlist:

-Walrus Mayflower
    -Walrus Voyager
    -CMATMODS Signa Drive
    -Mad Professor Little Green Wonder
    -Barber Gain Changer

2. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

the signa drive is the only overdrive i've bought in the last 7 years
    and it's the only overdrive i have
    i just don't have any experience with anything else because there's no need for me to experiment anymore

3. NielsM

NielsM Member

For me it would go between the Signa Drive and Gain Changer. It's hard to say which one works best with your rig and personal taste.

4. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Throw the Bondi Sick As on your list. I find it's fantastic equally for rhythm and lead.

5. AgusAD

AgusAD Member

ZVex Distortron. Lo gain setting. I've found it excellent for chord work.

thesooze likes this.
  6. Zack.LW

Zack.LW Member

I love my LGW. I looked at far too many drives for rythym playing (Cusack screamer, ts808, signa, Sick As, timmy, voyager, mayflower, paramount, green rhino, etc.).

For what it's worth I play a strat, tele, and sg into a vox ac15. I play rythym and lead for p&w.

It came down to the voyager and I bought it. I had it for a few months but couldn't bond with it. It sounded too muddy especially with my sg. I flipped it and restarted my search for a rythym drive.

Second go around narrowed down to sick as vs timmy. I really wanted the Timmy to stack with my jhs Morning glory but finding a timmy that isn't priced unreasonably is difficult. I decided against the sick as since it really only sounds good with single coils. So in my dilemma with trying to find a timmy for under $300, I did what every reasonable p&w guitarist would do... took a look at kundes board (lgw/paramount) and dukes board (honey bee and ts808). I already have a Superbolt which does the small amp tone very well and I'm not a fan of the Ibanez mid hump so that ruled the honey bee and 808 out. The paramount sounds great in some demos and sounds fizzy to me in just as many. The Little green wonder sounds great regardless of amp/guitar type. I ended up getting it from Amazon for 120 and I absolutely love it. It's qhat I was looking for in a TS without the muddy mids.

Just to mention the others, I didn't like any of the demos I heard with the signa drive. The eq just didn't sound pleasing. The voyager experience turned me off of the mayflower although I've heard it's similar to a timmy. Andy othling uses one with a tele that sounds amazing. I've heard great reviews for the gain changer too. Surely there's a flavor for the tone you desire but these have been my experiences and reasoning behind what I eventually chose.

7. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with choosing the GC. It's a very flexible pedal.

8. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I use the Eternity Fuse or an Archer Ikon.

9. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Mad Professor's Sweet Honey OD really could do most anything extremely well.

10. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I have no idea what the standards are for P&W, as I grew up Catholic and the music was all acoustic and folky at its hippest. Overdrive would have been verboten.

But I use a Klon for rhythm mainly (imagine the chords to Zep's Song Remains the Same, that type of chording, sort of open and shimmering), and a Robin Trower OD for thick, moody, distorted chords. Both those pedals are very good for that, definitely.

Or else I just use my amp, mostly.

Or get one of the famous transparent ODs everyone talks about here. Transparent ODs are obviously suited for chords.

11. rummy

rummy Member

Great versatile pedals.

12. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

Interesting. I'll check out those other pedals.

Still pretty close for me, I used to own the LGW but I used it as a booster instead of a rhythm crunch.

13. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

The Little Green Wonder for rhythm works well for me.

14. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

OCD is quite dynamic, therefore useful from strumming triads to finger-picking to power chords...though I used it more for crunchy rhythm. Of late, prefer using the left channel of a VS-XO or a VS Open Road.

Xotic EP Booster for when I want to boost cleans.

15. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Durham Zia is the only OD pedal I know specifically msrketed for rythm.

16. MBT74

MBT74 Member

I liked my Barber Half Gainer much more than the Gain Changer. Much more flexibility to dial in exactly what you want with your amp and guitar.

17. transmission

transmission Member

Londoner currently enjoying life in Sweden
    I've read the blurb on it, and it may well be true that's it's the only pedal marketed as a 'specifically rhythm' pedal, however, there are a ton of pedals that will do the job as good or better than the Zia. Don't let their marketing of it convince you it's unique, in circuit design or function.

I wouldn't keep an OD that couldn't do rhythm well. Some of may faves are, Dr Scientist Heisenberg, Lumpy's Lemon Drop, Basic Audio Overtdrive, Fairfield Barbershop. But these are all tones/sounds I like with my setup. I think it's nice/valuable to have good EQ controls to fine tune your rhythm sound, but looking at my list, strangely, I don't really have that.

There are many OD flavours that will do excellent rhythm. What sounds are you going for OP?

18. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

VFE Pale Horse, with diode lift/comp control and extra low and high controls it can sound very open and articulate.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  19. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

DAM Sonic Titan. I use this for my main rhythm tone. I keep the volume before noon and the gain backed almost all the way down for a big, broken up amp, dynamic drive. If you want to jump into a lead the ST eats up tube screamers.

20. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

Mainly an OD that has a slight bit of colour but not too much, and that responds to my dynamics well.