1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

OD for Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by redpony, Feb 10, 2006.

1. redpony

redpony Member

I have a Super Reverb RI and a Vibrolux and it seems all of my pedals like the Vibrolux better than the Super Reverb--except for my Reverend Drivetrain, which is ok for what it does.

I'd really like to get a chimey overdrive full of harmonics as this seems to be the base signature of the Super Reverb. Can anyone suggest pedals that would enter this territory and/or sound good with a Super Reverb?

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Zim-tried it in the store with a Super (SF) and it was just killer-all the way from SRV to hard rock...

3. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

I have an old 66 super that pretty much just sits in my music room but every now and then I like to play through it and the other night I played through a ts808 followed by an analogman DS1 pro and it sounded great. I would cover pretty much the same area only since it was 2 pedals, it made it a little more versital because now I had basically 4 different tones.

4. cheesey

cheesey Member

if you are interested in a barber direct drive let me know, it should work good with a SR, has the pull knob for harmonics.

5. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I have a '66 super reverb and use with it:
    Reverend drivetrain
    Barber DDSS
    TS808
    Zendrive
    all nice OD tones, just different flavors:p

6. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

zendrive works for RF :D

7. gregory70

gregory70 Member

8. jero

jero Member

the bjf bbod works perfectly on a super reverb, as does the tim, as does the barber ltd

9. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

+1 for the Zendrive for great smooth overdrive with a Fender Amp.
    FWIW,
    Rick

10. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I have an old 1965 Super Reverb - most TS clones work well - +1 on the ZIM (HB card for OD / Dist - VT for low OD Strat work) - Keeley modded RAT is cool for higher gain stuff.

But the best (IMO) is a COT 50 or FAB 50 for light OD - and Eternity for everything else!

PS - try keeping your treble at 5 /6 - this helps with the fizzy sound some OD's produce - and keep the mids at or below 7 - this allows the mid hump of TS clones to shine through without becoming muddy. I leave the bass control off, but try to keep it at 2 or below to keep the amp from sounding woofy.

Works for me....

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

I use an Eternity with my SR for exactly what you are describing. Add a COT50 and an RC boost and you can cover everything!!! The eternity is amazing!!!

12. redpony

redpony Member

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that my main two guitars are a Start and Tele. The Strat sound I'm looking for is that chimey Television/Marquee Moon sound. If anyone has seen Grizzly Man, Richard Thompson's guitar sound knocked me out. Round with some grit and a bit of swirl.

Of the sound samples I've heard online, I like the COT 50 and LTD. Has anyone ever used a Hotcake with a Super Reverb?

I have the Dave Hunter effects book, and the Roger Mayer stuff stood out for me on th cd. The Concorde+ sounded great (although a different, beefier sound), but its hard finding any info on it--or sound samples and dealers.

Great (but dangerous) forum here.... and thanks again.

13. johan

johan Member

i have a 66SR. use a zendrive, eternilty, klon and cjod. they all sound AMAZING.

14. Colt

Colt Member

The Volume knob....hehe.

I like the OCD.

15. kram21

kram21 Member

zendrive and voodoo lab sparkle drive

16. JiMB

JiMB Member

I use a KOT VI with my 64 SR, after that I like the TS9/Silvermod.

17. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i use a Maxon OD-820, Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal I, and a PPF with my SR. the zendrive and Eternity also sound great through a Super.

18. drcarr

drcarr Member

19. jediamond

jediamond Member

I have an old BF Super Reverb. I love using my Klon with it.
    Here's what it sounds like (using 63 Tele):
    http://www.danafuchs.com/music/mp3/Live-God's Song.mp3

I have the Klon on for the fills, the solo and a good part of the rythm playing. The thing I love about it is that you really can't tell that a pedal is on- it just gets gainier and fatter and it FEELS great.

JD

20. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

+1 on the Klon and Zim....