OD: help me decide

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slopeshoulder, May 12, 2008.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I have $ and space for an OD. What to get?
    I have a Klon, Eternity, and a Zendrive. (I laso have a fuzz face and MK11 and treble booster. All this drives 7 Menatone "amps).

I don't like TS, have sold 2 timmy's, sold Xotic and silver kiss, etc. etc.

It' down to:
    - BYOC pickled large beaver (it'd be nice to have a muff)
    - BYOC mighty mouse (I never liked rats I played, but I like sco and firisell)
    - MP little green wonder (I CANNOT get my head around what this thing does or how it differs from others. Also, it seems to want the PGC to do it's thing best?)
    - MP SBOD (again, what's it do that I cant' do already?)
    MP intrigues, but I'm inclining to the pickle.
    It's this or a big ol' spend on itunes.
    What do you recommend? What's on your list of very best and unique OD's?

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I'm loving my OCD (ver. 4), but the top one on my list is my Throbak Overdrive Boost. It's the most versatile, amplike, and dynamic dirt pedal I've ever tried, and it sounds amazing.
    FYI; If you get it direct from the Throbak website, there is no wait list.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I also have a Klon and a Zendrive (from your list) and if you don't like traditional TS'es, I second Gang Twanger's suggestion of OCD v4.

I just got mine and am BLOWN away by it. I don't know how it "plays with other pedals" but alone I am absolutely amazed by it. I got it at a time when I finally bought a few amps that make me not need ANY OD, but am still considering using it with the amps.

I spent too much money and time on too similar pedals...still the Zendrive is my major # 1 good-time pedal ....but the OCD took second.

4. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Take a look at the Psionic Audio Triad. I grabbed one off the emporium a few weeks back and it's honestly one of the nicest sounding and most useful pedals i own. Seriously worth while investigating. :D

5. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

The Barber Small Fry is pretty cool...

6. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I checked out the Throbak Overdrive Boost's website and that is one extremely versatile pedal with alot of different ways to get very useable tones. Also, do you have a Menatone VOS yet? I'm using mine as a lead channel pedal towards the front of my effects and it had the sweetest tone you can imagine. Sounds great by itself or it would stack great with any of your Menatone "amps" like my Howie,WMB, and Dirty Blonde.
    I sold my TBIAC :( in order to fund my Klon purchase but it will definitely be replaced when I catch up on other bills.:dude
    Finally, I'm also having excellent results with my MP LGW as a creamy lead tone but they are from the TS camp so I'm hesitant to recommend it.
    It is one exceptional pedal and although it's not cheap, it won't break the bank at $225 or so used.

7. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Just ran across a Throbak Overdrive Boost on TGP Emporium for $185 shipped.....

8. Creamy

Creamy Member

If you like the E, you'll probably like the KOT v4. It has less drive than the E and slightly less treble boost.

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

10. njhead

njhead Member

with all those menatone's, I would say I like your choice of a BYOC pickled large beaver. I only have Tim and TBIAC on my board at the moment and sub out some BYOC and General Guitar Gadgets OD/fuzzes from time time to time(Guv'nor, Linear Power Booster, Shin-Ei Fuzz, Rams Head Muff)
    Sweet collection of Menatone's!

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Slopester-Barber's SmallFry is a TS variant,but pushing the Zen is an extremely pleasant event.I hear the OCD-V3.0 or later is very cool in a Marshall sort of way.
    gfm

12. Rock72

Rock72 Member

The SBOD seems to be one of the most flexible of all BJF/MP pedals. I've had mine for a short while, but I am enjoying what I hear. To chose that one over the LGW. I will test it tonight with my Klon to see how they match up (running it in front of the Klon).

13. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

spend it on i tunes, you've already got great od's

14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I love this answer: OD is overrated!

15. Creamy

Creamy Member

How about an attenuator?
    Rediscover the natural tube drive of your amp.

16. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Thanks for all the nice and helpful replies.

Funny thing is, my amp doesn't really have an overdriven tone, unless totally cranked. It wants pedals. It has a lot of input sensitivity, so it works WITH pedals really well. But I never run out of headroom, and I can get the same sound and feel at pretty much any volume. That really matters to me.