OD / Light Distortion pedal for Allen Accomplice + Cannabis Rex?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Think Floyd, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

After going back and forth between some speakers, I finally chose the C-Rex for my Allen Accomplice. But, my Barber Burn Unit EQ pedal that I've been using for the past few years doesn't seem to like the Allen and the C-Rex. So, it's got to go and I'm hoping to find a single channel replacement about the size of a Boss pedal or even smaller. I don't play Metal; when I use dirt it's usually low to mid gain Classic Rock style Crunch/OD, and on occasion I may use a higher gain OD/Light Distortion tone (using a Strat with bridge humbucker). The Burn Unit did have enough dirt on tap, but I wouldn't be opposed to something with a bit more (although I'd rarely play that distorted). And, cheaper is good! I'd put my limit at about $150 (new or used); preferably less.

I'd love to say that I'm looking for a pedal with more of this or less of that, but in all honesty my ears can't differentiate those nuances. I can say that I prefer the clean tones of the Accomplice with the Raw control set low (2 or 3), so with those added mids maybe I don't want/need a Tubescreamer-type pedal with its mid hump. However, the Tubescreamer cuts bass, and my Accomplice has plenty of bass... I have to keep the bass control set very low.

Any suggestions? What are you using with your Accomplice?

2. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

After thinking about it, I'd probably prefer a smooth-sounding OD pedal with a decent amount of dirt available over a Distortion pedal. In my limited experience, Distortion pedals can get too thin and buzzy, and don't clean up as well when rolling back the guitar volume.

Some thoughts to help:

I've watched a lot of video demos of the newest, smaller Carl Martin Plexitone. But, while some demos were great, others were terrible. My local Guitar Center had a used one for sale, but it was sold before I could try it.

The best Classic Rock tone that I've ever heard with my guitar was with it plugged straight into a Clark (or Victoria?) Tweed Deluxe with a Celestion Gold speaker. I hate the full-blown distortion and flabby bass of a cranked 5E3 (Neil Young tone), but the sweet crunch at low to mid OD with a tight bass (before the bass falls apart) was heavenly. I know that there are several Tweed-styled pedals, but do they also add the flabby bass?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

The Barber Gain Changer blurs the lines between a medium gain OD and a "light" distortion pedal... Check it out.