OD pedal for Badger Amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jhansenku, Mar 11, 2008.

1. jhansenku

jhansenku Supporting Member

I just ordered me a Badger 18 watt Head and matching cabinet today. I have been looking at OD pedals and have my search narrowed down to a few: Barber Direct Drive, Fulltone OCD, Lovepedal Eternity, Mi Audio Crunch Box and also heard some about the BB Preamp. I have listened to clips on youtube.com and I have o say that the Barber DD really stood out to me. I really don't care for a lot of treble boost with ad OD pedal. I prefer a heavy gain with tight low end and crunch. Probably want more of a modern gain. Just wanted to know if any of you have experimented with these pedals and the badger? Can't wait to get the amp!!

2. jhansenku

3. beej

beej Supporting Member

It's really a matter of taste- there a zillion OD pedals out there.

I use a BB preamp with my Badger- volume/gain at noon and the treble rolled off (with the badger slightly dirty). Perfect for where I need to go. Can also crank the BB for some real saturated leads.

4. ToneSter

ToneSter Silver Supporting Member

30 miles s/w to the exact center of California
    TC Jauernig Gristle King it is a better pedal than the ones you listed and those are great pedals, the Gristle King just call it a greater pedal.

5. jhansenku

I played through a BB preamp on a Marshall JCM 800 lead this weekend. I loved the pedal.

6. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

I have all the pedals you mentioned above and own the Badger 18 watt head plus a bunch of other OD's. If I could only go w/ one from your list that would be the Barber Direct Drive.The Direct Drive sounds fantastic w/ the Badger amp. It responds just like a tube amp plus it retains a nice open tone and tightens the bottom of the Badger just a bit. I really can't say enought about the combination of the Badger and the Direct Drive. It has been the OD pedal that I keep coming back too. I can get a convinceing White Snake Still of the night tone w/ the BDD. Another pedal that sounds great w/ the Badger is the Freakshow Brown Rabbit.

Bob T.