OD Pedal for boosting another high gain pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by novocaine, Jun 29, 2006.

1. novocaine

novocaine Member

Hi, just thought i'd ask this burning question. Which O/D pedal is good for pushing another high-gain pedal (say a gt-2 or rat)? I'm currently using a stock TS9DX before a gt-2 to get that really compressed, tight and dry chugging metal tone. Thing is i'm not into the TS9 by itself. It's too mid-dy for my humbucker equipped guitar.

Don't get me wrong, i totally dig that combination. I'm just looking for alternatives and wondering which other ODs can fulfil the same function and sound great as an OD by itself. I have a Super chili picoso, but i'm using it purely as a volume boost.

Read alot about the Eternity am tempted, but does anyone cascade it before the next dirt pedal?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

2. staplek

staplek Member

im using a tube screamer to push an ocd. i guess an ocd wouldnt be considered a high gain but it has an "hp" switch which they describe as a "marshall setting" which is plenty of gain. its a nice combo that i have gotten many compliments on. i formerly used a tubescreamer as my main dist. but i when recording there were so many harmonics that rang thru & i didnt like the way it sounded. anyway, hope that is helpful somehow.

3. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

The TC Jauernig Luxury Drive is a boost that works great before other OD's. It has a natural presence and "sheen" to it that works great stacked into another OD or distortion.

4. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Try a Hot Cake. I was using this pedal the other day with a ToneBone Classic, Rat, DDSS and it does something amazing after these pedals. The setting where volume-3:00, tone-9:30, and the gain at 9:00. It added fullness to the tone along with nice sustain.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

You might want to look into a FD-2 and use it in the Flat mids position, it's still like using a TS9 but better in my opinion but with out the mid hump. I use a FD-2 Mosfet and goose the OCD with it for very good high gain tone.

Another good low gain OD to use is the Barber Silver LTD!

6. erksin

erksin Member

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

The Hotcake is great for pushing other pedals.

8. Jack

Jack Member

The Red Snapper may be good for this, I stack it with almost anything and it seems pretty compatible with distortion/fuzz, but I have not done a thorough testing by stacking it with a wide variety of pedals. Maybe somebody else has. I think it's a TS circuit with less gain and mids.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Gaspedal CARB stacks great with my TS based CMATMODS Tube Slammer as well as a Boss Super Distortion

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I use my Timmy to push other pedals...The t is clear sounding, and it takes the sound of the other OD's I use {King of the Britians, OCD, JD-10}, and pushes them to 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Yup. Huge boost and one of the few that I think sounds good in front of and behind an OD.