OD Pedal for Open Chords

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CiceroTJones, Feb 13, 2008.

1. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

Alright, I have a BB Preamp for power chords, an MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive for higher gain blues, and a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic for Classic Rock stuff...

Now I just need one more pedal for gain. I need something that will give me clarity on open chords. I lead worship in a church band, and 90% of the time, I'm playing open chords while another guitarist plays lead/5 chords.

So the requirements are:
    -Low to medium gain
    -CLARITY, I want to hear every string
    -No fizziness or Fuzziness
    -Good low end

Any suggestions? And why? Maybe a video link or two?

2. mild

mild Member

That's a lot of overdrive you're packing there, friend. I'm a P&W'er too... my search for what you are describing ended with the Timmy. It has a ridiculously powerful EQ - you can dial in "my amp, but more driven" very easily, or go with something completely different - just roll off the frequencies appropriately.

It fills all your listed points. Stopped my overdrive buying, that's for sure. I use the Timmy set for rhythm crunch, and the Eternity stacks INTO it for leads. The EQ section is that good.

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

The same od you use for closed chords ;)
    for me if Im doing a lot of open major and minor chords I just turn down the gain...my barber ltd, direct drive, mi audio crunch, visual sounds jeckyll and hyde, marshall guvnor or jackhammer, boss sd-1, od-3 all sound good with open chords as long as I dont try to achieve death-metal gain!!!

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yup. the correct answer is the timmy.

Runner up:? Barber silver LTD or Boss OD-3

If you need something tomorrow and you can deal with a few imperfections like a bit o bass cut and fizzling decay: Boss Blues driver set for low gain.

5. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

I'm the typical strumming singer/songwriter taking up the electric after playing acoustic for a long time. I hit six strings at a time more often than not, use capos etc.

Tried some stuff that didn't work (OCD, Boss, T-rex Moller) - found Timmy, stopped looking. Good luck /C

6. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I also play P&W, I would recommend the LTD with mod board. It will get you real close to your original sound. The LTD sr(special recipe) is supposed to be the flattist for retaining your sound and putting some hair on it as well. The other ones have some mid hump which sounds great for crunch. The mod board will allow you to fine tweak to match your amp. I've heard the Silver kiss does a good job as well. Tim & Timmy are a pain in the neck to obtain. There is a waiting list that takes months or is not even open to orders due to back log. The ones on ebay or the emporium are marked up due to supply and demand.

7. speed12

speed12 Member

Barber ltd SR would be my call, I'm using it for the same situation you are and it works perfectly. With the mod board its even better, the ability to tweak the mids and the fizz filter means it will work supoibly with pretty much any amp!

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Timmy
    Catalinbread Silver Kiss MkII
    Barber LTD SR w/mod board or Silver LTD
    Xotic AC Booster
    Menatone Red Snapper

Gees..you guys just beat me to it!!

9. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

another vote for Tim/ Timmy

10. mild

mild Member

This is true. I did the wait, took me 10 months to get my Timmy. If stolen, though - I wouldn't wait again. I'd happily take one from the emporium - its easily worth the price of admission. Only reason there's a markup is because they're so darn cheap and GOOD in the first place.

11. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I cannot recommend the Red Snapper more highly for your needs. It is just what you describe.

12. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I really like the Keeley mod plus TS-808. From your description of what you are after I think you would be very pleased with it. Good luck!

13. DemonOfTheFall

DemonOfTheFall Member

Try the OCD. It seemed to work really well for me.

14. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Have we come to this now? Diff overdrives for open versus power chords? Next we'll need diff od's for major and minor chords. Jeez louise

15. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Might try adapting your style. Especially if you're playing with a lot of instruments/voices, less is more from an arrangement standpoint - for both how many notes you play at a time, and how much dirt you use. If you have to stick with what you are suggesting, just make sure you cut mids and bass to keep it from sounding like mud. Otherwise, any soundman bent on making the finished product sound good will take you out of the mix.

A lot of semi-dirty stuff sounds good with full chords, and for that, I like the OCD. I use a V1. I imagine you can get similar tones from a TBIAC , some have suggested a Menatone Red Snapper, or a Skreddy Screwdriver. Just go easy on the gain, and try and keep the bass and mids down.

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Sure. Its simple when you think about it. Power chords and single note lines sound great with any amount of gain - the more the better. However, simple chords with thirds and more complex chords tend to sound horrible with a ton of gain. But cranked semi-distorted amps like an AC-30 or a deluxe sound great for chimey strummed rhythm parts - even with complex chords.

So the idea is to recreate that low gain cranked tube amp sound for the strummed parts and either switch to a different pedal for heavy riffs/leads or just engage a second OD pedal at the same time to add more gain.

17. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Pretty obvious from your description that there would be a lot of votes for the Timmy. I'll add mine to the pile.

18. mockoman

mockoman Member

The Silverkiss does just what you are looking for as well.