1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

OD pedal of popular choice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have a non master volume VERY old super lead 100 watt marshall, with a replace output trany by the imfamous OEI.
    I have classic rock coming out of every orfice. The headroom is incredible, such that even with a great classic AC/DC tone with the amp on 10, there is hardly any feedback and not much sustain. Well I have read all the forums out there on the net in the lsat 2 years and I have found this forum to be the most true what real freakin truly is. Kudos to you all.

So I am posting my question here: I want an OD pedal that gets me the musical feedback, sustain and even a little more gain. I have been looking at the TIM or TIMMY pedal. I have considered a Klon, talked with finnegan (though he wasn't very direct with his answers), a hot cake or a Barber THD. Price being no object, which ONE pedal would you recommend. Price being no object, keeping the OD pedal range which added pedal would you recommend for a little more gain ( not heavy as metallica etc)???

I have been chasing tonal nirvana for a good 7 -10 years. THat is why I have spent huge money on my plexi, and kick butt eminince red fang speakers. Please only fanatical brit tone freaks need reply.

thank you

Cary

2. Swarty

Swarty Member

I play very old Marshalls almost exclusively. Get a Timmy.

3. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Start with a COT 50, then go from there.......... That is where the gain starts. Cleans up with your guitar. Amazing with big Marshalls! :)

Blues Wail likes this.
  4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

#1. Replace the Red Fangs with Celestion G12M-25 Greenbacks.

They're lower sensitivity and have a more compressed, complex tone that will let you drive the amp harder at the same volume and actually increase the apparent sustain and ease of getting feedback. The Red Fangs are probably good speakers but they're far too sensitive for that application. The Greenbacks are absolutely THE classic rock speaker anyway - they just have the right sound, especially with a Marshall.

If you're worried about blowing four 25W Greenbacks with a 100W Marshall (I might be), get an attenuator - you can run it in parallel as a 'dummy cab' if you're concerned about tone loss.

After that you may well find that you don't need a pedal, but if you do, there are some good suggestions already.

5. dosmun

dosmun Member

My first choices are Hotcake or TIM.

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I use a Tim most often myself, but from what you are describing, I'd suggest a Fulltone OCD over the Tim. You'll get plenty of musical feedback, sustain, and gain.

(That said, I also agree with John that Red Fangs would not be my choice of speaker for a Marshall...but if it works for you, great!)

7. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Bill is a very busy man. I am surprised that he even has time to answer the phone.

I would try the Klon out. Even if you don't like it, you can sell it on Ebay and get your money back and then some.

8. alderbody

alderbody Member

I would definately replace the speakers as mentioned above,
    and maybe get (or build...) a treble booster.

9. Cary Chilton

First of, Senior member thanks for the advice. The cot 50 is an OD to try to mimic a plexi, this is not even a choice for me, SEAN the maker of this pedal said not to bother using this, since I have the original tone in abundance. Spend 3000-5000 USD folks of this amp and you will see. Second, my Eminence speakers will blow away celestion GT12 or green backs. I have staggered Wizard 75 watters and the RED Fang. Most boutique amp makers will tell you Eminence beats out Celestion on quality especially currently. Celestion is OK, and that is about it. I had 1985 mint condition GT12 75 watt celestions ( selling them now on Ebay) and they were floppy on the bottom with less upper mid and highs. The replacement of the Wizards and Red Fang's in 8 ohms ( less fizzy sounding) is killer. THe Red Fang are a VOX alnico blue replacement EMINENCE style, which is as good as or better. Talk about harmonic complexity and a tight focus sound, forget about it. However, this is exactly what I was asking YOU the forums members NOT to do. Detract from my question. I am VERY well rounded in gear and recording, however I was interested in using an OD pedal with my newly bought vintage plexi, since other pedals I tried were crap. SO THIS POST was about that and that alone. sigh...

10. 69strat

69strat Member

Thats funny, I use one greenback and one red fang with my 100 watt blackmore head. It smokes. ie- the best of both worlds!!!

11. pbhtrip

pbhtrip Member

The OCD does sound like a good option for you.........but if you're willing to spend some money the Cornish SS2 might be a better fit. The SS2 is smoother, less harsh, than the OCD. You will definately get sustain for days with the SS2.

Peter

12. Cary Chilton

I have heard horrible things about the OCD, that is why I wanted to get a timmy or a tim, klon, barber THD or a gainster

13. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

'Blow away' is a pointless description. Yes, the Red Fangs are about 6dB more sensitive than G12M-25s, so in volume terms there's very little argument that the RFs will 'blow away' the GBs. But that's exactly the problem - you're complaining that you can't get enough sustain and feedback and the amp has too much headroom.

Celestion G12M-25s have a particular warm, complex tone that increases the perception of amp drive, and compress quite a bit when pushed hard which increases the sustain and the ease of getting feedback, as well as allowing you to drive the amp harder for the same room volume (significantly so).

Not only that, in tonal terms, they are THE classic rock speaker, through which most of the famous Marshall sounds you're familiar with were recorded (and almost all the rest were done with G12H-30s). Do not think that because you've used G12T-75s, G12M-25s will be the same - they aren't... not even close.

Eminences may be good speakers but they are NOT better quality than Celestions - if anything, they seem to have slightly more reports of reliability problems.

If you want the definitive 'brit tone' you seem to be asking for, and you won't consider using the right speakers, you're wasting your time with overdrive pedals. The speakers are more important.

IMO. BTW, I've been playing and repairing vintage Marshalls for about twenty years.

14. Cary Chilton

I just went with Eminence based on Mark from Stephenson who makes class A amps for Mutt Lang and many a famous folk. I am glad I went with Eminence. BTW vox blue alnico speakers are not crap. Celestions are ok, but that is it. Not for me. My Eminence speakers added to feedback and sustain much more than the vintage celestions I had in my vintage 4x12 < BUT I want MORE. Thanks for missing out on the thread topic.

15. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

look up landgraff and cornish in your search.

Maybe try a King of Tone from Analog man. I think this will take a while.

There are lots of options and it might be tough to find exactly what you are looking for.

Check out BJF as well BJ has some great offerings.

Sean's Eternity over drive is also excellent.

I've always found the amps like yours to be near perfect on thier own. Maybe go through a bunch of clean boosts as well. The Legendary Tones Time Machine might be worth looking into.

if the speakers are perfect and the amp is perfect and you are just looking for more, I tend to think a clean boost is what you really want.

MI audio has some cool offerings as well.

good luck. It should be fun.

are you using single coils or humbuckers or both? and what kind of impedence are we talking about on them?

16. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Well, there are plenty of good things about the OCD too, although it is not my first choice either. I own and use a Tim and Timmy and both are great and very flexible. You can certainly start there with minimal risk. Either the Klon or THD are in the same general family but not as versatile IMHO. Besides the Tim, I'd suggest you look at the ZenDrive and the Mosferatu.

Zen

17. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I've been through a whole bunch of overdrives in the past couple of months: Klon, OCD, Timmy, Landgraff, Analogman TS-9, GGG, Xotic, Barber, Line 6, Visual Sound, H&K, Bad Monkey, BJF, etc.

You have a killer basic tone. You just need something to make it scream. I don't think you want a pedal that adds a lot of color or fizz. There's no question in my mind. You want a Landgraff DO. Use the middle switch setting and set all the knobs to noon. Try it. I think you'll like it!

John

18. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

which may bring a silly question out of my ignorance. I know about landgraff, I've read tons about them I've heard them on occasion, where does one go about procuring a Landgraff?

19. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I didn't miss out on the thread topic, I told you how to get that definitive 'brit tone' you asked for - just like the way it was really done. You won't find any classic Marshall tones that were recorded with Red Fangs, and mostly not with overdrive pedals (in any recognisable modern sense). You will find a lot - maybe even all - were recorded with Celestions, particularly G12M-25s and G12H-30s.

Good luck in your tone quest.

20. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member