OD Pedal Suggestions Needed.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikef1331, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Well, since it looks like I won't be able to sell my Overbuilt amp to fund the purchase of a new amp I'll just have to stick w/ it for now.

I'm looking for a great OD pedal to match up w/ the Overbuilt to try and give it more of the sound I'm looking for. Does anyone know of a OD pedal that works great w/ el84 midrange heavy amps like my Overbuilt? I'm looking for an OD that will give me a warmer, sweeter, singing lead tone w/ more of a scooped midrange and have a tube amp like feel.

2. burner

burner Member

Have you tried a Boss Super Overdrive?

3. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Nope, I'll have to check it out.

4. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

This new Arteffect Zenith looks like it's going to be a good one .
    This is one of several demo's on you tube....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDlwO7mIIA

They sell in the $225 range and I think they are listing on ebay or google arteffect for their homepage and dealers .

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Not sure about the scooped midrange, but my favorite is the Throbak Overdrive Boost. Also check out the M.I. Blues Pro and the CMAT Brownie (I have a Brownie on the way).
    Check out the Brownie vs BSiAB thread to see if maybe that's what you're looking for. Also check out the thread on the Throbak as well.

Hopefully I've covered some bases here.

6. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far I appreciate it! So very interesting pedals to look into.

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

maybe I'm old fashioned,but a TS-9/808 reissue.

8. burner

burner Member

I've tried a lot of boutique overdrives and I keep coming back to the Boss SD-1.
    Lately I've been using a modified version which I did myself based on some of the Keeley mods.
    Not a full-blown Keeley mod, just a couple of minor tweaks.
    (Added bass,gain,stacked 4558s)

I know the SD-1 isn't as sexy as some of the boutique offerings but when you get down to the most important issue....SOUND....they simply do it for me.
    I'm sure someone could repackage the SD-1 in a handpainted box and make a lot of money!

I much prefer the SD-1 to the Tubescreamers

As to the "scooped" sound issue, I recently A/B'd my SD-1 with a Diamond J-drive Mk3 and to my ears the SD-1 had a more 'scooped' sound that really makes a Strat come alive.
    I believe this is because the "mid-hump" isn't as prevalent.
    In fact, I've recently compared it to quite a few popular overdrives and I've yet to find anything that bumps it from my pedalboard.
    YMMV

9. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it!

10. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Does anyone else have any more suggestions for OD pedals I should check out?

11. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I'm using a Skreddy Screw Driver. The Skreddy wins out over everything esle I've tried because if its versatility. You can adjust it to mild bluesy overdrive all the way to full out balls-to-the-wall. I've used a TS-9, SD-1, BD-2, EHX English Muff'n. Marc made a great pedal, and the $195 price on it is well worth it.

12. Flaser_Phanger

Flaser_Phanger Member

13. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Analogman SD-9 with mid knob mod. Be able to tweak the mids to taste... :D

14. burner

burner Member

That's a neat site but I didn't like that the setting weren't listed on every pedal and that the volumes are not equal.
    The SD-1 in particular didn't have a vey good recording but for just for reference, the Boss OD-1 is similar.
    I've been very happy with the SD-1 in stock form for years but the slight mods I did to it actually improved it,IMO.

However, it did show a very good representation of the Guyatone OD2 which is a pedal I've been trying to tell people about for years.
    If you like Tube screamers, you'll love the ODs because it out-tubescreams a tubscreamer six ways to Sunday,IMO.
    I wish the OD2 had a tone knob...just in case..... but it does sound great as-is

15. 89strat

89strat Member

Funny that this came up. I just picked up an SD-1 because they were on sale for $39.00 at a local store. So not having one for several years, I decided to take it home. I play a les paul or a strat into a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I'll tell you, I'm very impressed with it, especially if the volume of my amp is high enough to distort.

I could use more gain though if I were to use this as my main drive being as I can rarely seem to get my amp past 3:00 to start breaking up because the amp has a lot of volume. Although the SD-1 doesn't have a lot of gain, it does sound really nice. I've sent for a monte allums mod, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.

16. Flaser_Phanger

Flaser_Phanger Member

Yeah you are right, I am working on that. I have some new recording gear coming in within a few weeks and I'll try to update the samples where it is feasible. Thanks for your input!!

17. uberpict

uberpict Member

Thanks for the site! I have a block logo Distortion+ and loved the comparisons of the different versions. Keep up the good work! :cool:

18. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

Cool site, thanks for posting that.

19. Flaser_Phanger

Flaser_Phanger Member

Thanks for your input, glad you found something interresting. I just fixed the volume levels of the clips in the overdrive section (without altering the sound) to better match each other, so they should be easier to compare now.

20. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member