1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

OD Pedal to get my Carvin to dumbleland...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by daveg777, Jul 14, 2006.

1. daveg777

daveg777 Member

I have a VX112 with the EVM-L. Nice fat clean channel but need a suggestion to push it into Dumble-like tones. The amp has 4 6L6GC's and the 5 slider EQ on the front...

Dave

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

A Cornish SS-2

M.E.

3. gulliver

gulliver Member

Maybe bitter advice, but I used Carvins for 15 years and the best thing I did was sell them. They're not terrible amps, but they seem to lack the power tube grunt, and the preamp section doesn't make up for it. I was always anti Marshall, but am now very happy with a Voodoo modded '80s JCM800 that isn't as technically proper as the Carvins, but has a true personality.

4. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

If you're handy with a soldering iron, build yourself an Umble from the guys at Runoffgroove.com. It's an amplifier emulator pedal that uses jfets in place of tubes. I've built a few of their pedals (not the Umble yet) and I think they are a great way to get you headed in the right direction without having to buy a new amp. Be sure to listen to the clips.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/umble.html

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

Funny, it's based on a modeling amps version of a Dumble.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Zendrive or Mosferatu (if you want more gain)...

7. radcliff

radcliff Member

8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Zendrive gets my vote, too.

9. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

C'mon over to Crowley and make some noise with us old fat 60's relic rockers the next time we jam. You can try a zen with your rig.
    Rob

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Zendrive and AC Booster

11. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Barber Direct Drive...and the fingers of the guys known for getting great tones out of Dumbles! ;-) But seriously, I can get classic Larry Carlton tones with it; if I only knew the right notes...

12. Deaj

Deaj Member

Zendrive. Done.

13. JPenn

JPenn Member

Of topic, but don't you think Voodoo could mod a Carvin and it would have more of what you're looking for?

14. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

dave, i have the same amp with the oak cabinet from '85. the ev is a tremendous part of that sound. one suggestion if you have not done so is make sure the bias is correct. mine "blew up" yrs ago and when i had it repaired, it was retubed as well. apparently carvin is notorious for cold biasing their amps as it results in less warrany problems. the resistors have to be changed to bias. the amp is much "warmer" sounding, but i still think 100w is way more than most people ever need. my x amp is a back up for my 18w DR Z.

15. gulliver

gulliver Member

Having modded pedals, I feel it's always best to start with something great and tweek it better. Voodoo mods go $900ish, not worth it for that amp IMHO. Sorry if I sound negative in this thread, but having owned Carvins for 15 years gives me some whinning rights. :D

16. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'm not slighting you of your rights in any way:) I do think if both the amps were Voodoo modded there might not be as much of a difference. I also think that you can get great tones out of the stock Carvin or any other amp in that price range.

17. Suriel Zayas

Suriel Zayas Member

larry recently converted to zendrive.

18. Medication

Medication Member

menatone howie. That's what it's modeled after.

19. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

:puh Funny. The modeling amp was only used to verify if the sound was in the ballpark. Known Dumble recordings were used as well. Does it matter how one gets to the tone? With all of the demands for a "Plexi, Marshall, Top Boost in a box" pedals, I think it's cool that someone is willing to try some other circuits. The best thing is that Runoffgroove are offering these schematics and layouts for free. Grab your soldering iron and make the solder flow!

Beats spending $10K on a real Dumble.:AOK