OD Pedal with Fender BF Crunch?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FenderGuy53, Aug 25, 2008.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Guys:

I play Blues and Classic Rock (using a Fender DRRI) and I'm searching for a "one-pedal solution" to serve my clean -> moderate crunch needs.

I've read about true bypass pedals which provide transparent OD, but most have a British or Marshall-type crunch at the upper gain end.

Are there any OD pedals for a Fender DRRI that have an American-type (or at least unique) type crunch at the upper end?

Thanks for any help.

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

which thread should i respond to?

3. drolling

drolling Member

Rolly's got a point.

P'raps you might kill off one or the other?

I've been very curious to try out a Menatone "Dirty Blonde" for the tones you've described, but haven't been able to get my hands/feets on one.

Agree with you that many OD pedals take you right into Marshall territory when paired w/a black/brownface amp, but the good ole Tubscreamer's always worked for me; My 808 clone of choice be an MJM BluesDevil.

Another goood trick for getting powrtube crunch at moderate volume is using an attenuator/powersoak. Many good ones to be had - I've got a THD 4 Ohm Hotplate pretty much hardwired to my '63 Vibroverb for just this reason

4. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Killed off the other thread (don't know how THAT happened). Thanks for the "heads up".

Yep, I may go the attenuator route if I can't get my tone. I'm leaning toward the Weber MiniMASS for economic reasons.

I'll look at that Menatone Dirty Blonde, although the wife doesn't like me hangin' around blondes! ;-)

6. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

this seems like the logical answer[​IMG]

7. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Your describing the Analogman Church of Tone.

8. Casey

Casey Member

Greer Amps Brown Bomber....Brownface Fender Concert in a pedal....

www.greeramps.com

9. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

Mad Professor Little Green Wonder....game. set. match

10. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Check out the EHX Double Muff. It's actually more of an OD or dirty preamp booster than a fuzz box. It also has an incredible level of volume boost available. It really does pump out a very authentic cranked Black Face tone when you engage it on top of clean amp sound. You can pick up these for cheap and they're true bypass. Oh yeah - unfortunately all the youtube vids for the DM sound like pus and won't make you buy one but check one out with your rig if you can.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  11. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Try Tech 21 and V-Stack

12. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Get something two button. Loads of em around, that will get you a lot of versatility.
    I would've suggested a CMATMODS Signa Comp-Drive but that got discontinued. So I'll go with a Signa Drive :D
    If you want more Marshall like tones, I was pretty wowed by the Box of Rocks by Zvex.

13. empty71

empty71 Member

I play thru a Gries 35 which is a blackface style amp and the Skreddy Screw Driver is one of the most transparent OD/Fuzz pedal that works amazing well with my amp. The pedal when tweaked to tha amp just adds dirt/grit to the clean tone and nothing else!

14. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

The Marshall Bluesbreaker is designed to sound like a cranked Fender. Consensus is that the BB-2's are crap, and the BB-1's are expensive. General Guitar Gadgets offers a BB-1 kit, I've got one on the way. There was a great demo video on Youtube - search for "BB-1 replica."

15. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I modded my Umble to sound fairly blackfacey... as the Dumble preamp is pretty similar to a Fender anyway.

16. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I also have a Gries 35 and play blues. I'm very happy with my Keeley BD-2.

18. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I've been using a Menatone Dirty Blonde for several years through a BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mark II, and Silverface Princeton Reverb and it sounds real good through all three. It can go from a real Stones-y crunch to a Brian Setzer-like low OD incredibly well. I really dig that pedal!

19. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Member

Seconded. You'll find more exotic options out there, but the proof is in the sound.

It works wonders on a blackface Fender. I run it through a DRRI and a '64 Vibrolux Reverb, and the results are fantastic. Pressed to keep only one pedal for my rig, a Keeley modded Blues Driver would probably be the last one standing.

20. leodiditright

leodiditright Supporting Member

How does the Keeley Blues Driver sounds through a clean JTM45?
    The clip on the ProGuitarShop website sounds great (reminds me of Mad Professor LGW & SBO) but he's always using the 65 Soho and I don't know this amp.