OD Pedals Dependence on type of Amp!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jads57, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I've noticed on most Youtube videos demos of OD/Dist pedals that the amps being used are low wattage type EL-84 mostly occasiona 6V6 type.
    Very few demos feature 50-100 watt 6L6GC or EL-34 type of clean higher headroom amps. And while I understand this for most bedroom players or recording situations. I find it very hard to actually evaluate how accurate the actual pedal being demoed will actually sound in a live old school normal band situation, sans depending on monitors in ear or normal floor ones as well.

2. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Yeah, everyone wants to show off their 3 grand boutique low powered amp in those videos. If you're gonna do a demo, I'd say use a Fender Twin, a pre JCM900 era Marshall(el34s), and a Vox AC30. This should cover many more bases than what's usually used, and one can rest assured that if the demoed pedal sounds good through these 3, it would probably sound at least good through yours.

3. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

The sound coming from their amp's speaker shouldn't be fighting with the actual acoustic plucking coming from the guitar itself (a major pet-peeve of mine on a lot of demos. Wow! A three-voice SparkleDrive? How awesome! NOT! :D)

Anyway, I use a beefy, high-powered 6l6 amp that I run squeaky clean and practice at the same volume I keep it on at a club gig. Anybody who wants to send me pedals to demo, I'd be more than happy to. Te-he!

4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I guess I'm not the targeted audience for most pedals since I don't own or use small tube amps and play at a fairly moderate to loud clean tone. I also find that it really depends on how the pedal not sounds on it's own but with the band playing as well makes a huge impact.

5. telecasting

telecasting Member

I'll give Tibbon and Taylor Bearfoot a shout out for their OD mega review. I believe they used his Two Rock Custom Reverb 100, but then you can when you own a studio.

6. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Can you please post a link to the above OD mega review, Thanks!

7. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

8. tibbon

tibbon Member

Thanks for the link guys.

Its really hard to choose what amp to use for a demo. Either you're using something too pedestrian, too exotic, too high of wattage or too low. Simply isn't the time in the day to do them all (although we've got amps of all types).

9. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Thanks for the link, that was enlighting as well as tiring on the ears,lol! From the Youtube video, I liked the Klons and Landgraff pedals most. But isn't that always the case, you have to pay a lot more to get that little bit extra!