OD pedals I might like to try?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slipperyfingers, Jun 23, 2006.

1. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

Hi all:

I have a JTM45 type amp (KT66 power section) with an oversized 2x12 closed back cab (loaded w/emi governers). I'd like to find a od pedal that would work well with my setup. The amp has great cleans, and the best crunch tone going (IMHO). I'd like to be able to set the amp so that I can get clean with the volume rolled back on guitar, and with the volume up on the guitar, get that nice crunch...now I need something to get a singing lead tone. I play mostly classic rock and blues.

Thanks in advance,
    -SF

2. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Your amp is begging for an AC Booster or a BB Preamp by Xotic in my opinion.

3. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Man if I could get away with that type of rig! :dude But I play too much variety...ah well.

I would go with a Fuzz. Lots of choices.....probably the Sunface would be good. Or maybe a treble booster. Again lots of choices.

Bob

4. Craise

Craise Member

Like Big Bob said, there are lots of choices..
    basicaly depends on
    A: How Much money do you want to spend
    Over $200 BJF(my fav), Lovepedal E, Klon, pro analog, AM KOT
    $120-$200 Xotic, menatone, fulltone, tim, am/keeley modded
    Under $120 barber, timmy, m audio, ibanez
    (plus many more!! these examples are just off the top of my head)

B: Do you want a crunch with a different flavor of your amp?
    If so what flavor?
    Fuzz?
    Marshall
    Vox
    Mesa
    Tweed
    Or keep your amps original tone..but more crunch? (sounds like what you are after)
    Get a booster like the TIM/TIMMY, RC Booster, Time machine boost among many others.
    that will give you your amps original crunch tone at lower volume.
    hope this helps:)

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I agree with the fuzz and treble booster-if you use Les Pauls which yo should with that amp!-I recommend a good Tone Bender replica-D*A*M 1966 or MkII and a good treble booster-again D*A*M Red Rooster would be good. I hear good things about the Time Machine Boost also which gives you the vintage germanium treble booster and a FET based clean boost. If you use Strats then a fuzz face type pedal-ie. Fulltone '69 or Analog Man Sun Face. You might also like the Colorsound Overdriver replicas like the Pro Analog Power Boost, Throbak OD Boost, Divided by 13 Joyride, etc. These amps sound best with non-chip/op-amp type pedals. I prefer the classic tones of transistor based pedals be they germanium or silicon. You should try a good TS_9 though to see what that does with a LP or Strat-the best there is would be the Analog Man TS-808 True Vintage mod-it kills all other TS pedals in my opinion. You might also want to try a tube based preamp pedal-BK Butler is making the Tube Driver on a custom order basis and they are quite good. Of course in the chip based pedal world, the Klon is still one of the best and will sound pretty awesome with a "45" since theat is based on the old Bassman circuit(Marshall's version) and the Klon does sound good with Fender tweed type circuits.

6. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

A Timmy would work great, or a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive set in the middle possition, or a Blue Boy Deluxe.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I love these threads cuz I can just spew out the names of my favorite pedals!
    CMATMODS Tube Slammer
    Gaspedal Carb

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Try a Hotcake or Hotcake Bluesberry. The original really nailed the ABB live at Fillmore East sound with my Carmen Ghia, very clear sounding, only with hair and fatter... Now I use the Bluesberry and kick it with a Hellbilly or Hellbaby for adding more grit, leave the HC on a smoother lower gain volume boost setting.

9. QOTSA

QOTSA Senior Member

10. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

+1 on the AC and BB

Also some Bumpage for the Lovepedal Eternity.

11. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

I forgot to mention the guitar. I play a Hamer Monaco Elite, with Fralins. I'm thinking either the Carb, Timmy, Lovepedal Eternity, or the AC booster. I have used a Fulldrive II and HBE power screamer with my Anderson Classic...and they sound great with the strat type guitar. I hear the Lovepedal E is very versitle...I might just have to save up for one. Do they come around on the used market much? The couple of times I searched Ebay, I didn't come up with one. What about the OCD?

-SF

12. Medication

Medication Member

+1 D.A.M. or Red Llama

13. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

+1 - I know I did!!!

Other Idea:

Barber Direct Drive - I have mates who swear by this sucker and their JTM's. Im not a Marshall player myself, but to me, it sounds pretty sick with one.

14. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

What about the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine...would that be a good fit?

Man, there is so many choices...it is staggering!

-SF

15. flicker180

flicker180 Member

one word: openhaus.

i'll let you figure out who makes it and when its coming out. :)

dave

16. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I'd go an Etern just for the versatility of the thing :)

17. jgyn

jgyn Member

A lot of pedals sound good with the JTM-45. Currently I like the Hotcake or the Prescription RX Overdriver (colorsound clone).

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

Zendrive by Hermida Audio - best overdrive pedal I've tried in years!!! It has HUGE bottom end, and a very harmonic overdrive that is NOT compressed. It responds well to pick attack, and cleans up just like a great tube amp. Everyone who heard it at rehearsal last night were really impressed with this little, but powerful monster! I'm using it all weekend, and hope to buy one soon (a friend loaned it to me). My Tonebone Classic and Keeley Modded 808 are great, but this Zendrive really takes the cake.

19. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Cot50 Red and an Eternity and you're set.

20. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member