OD pedals react differently to hotter pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thisfire, Feb 14, 2008.

1. thisfire

thisfire Member

I've been happy with my King of Tone/Burst E/Landy MO'D combo for quite awhile now. With my Strat, they seem to provide the perfect range of overdrive/distortion...I can get pretty much any tone I need, from a lil' dirty to a lot crunchy. However, with my newer ES-335, I find that the KoT overlaps a lot with the Eternity; overall, a lot more gain on tap with the ES-335 due to the hotter nature of the P-90s.

Anyone else discover this? Do you find that Strats are more "pedal friendly" than Gibsons?

Also, as a side note (and I know this has been addressed before in other threads, I just can't seem to find a good answer), how do you compensate for the difference in pickup output? Booster pedal?

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

Different pedals react differently to different guitars. One of my personal criteria for keeping a pedal is that it should work great with any guitar. That's one of the things that I like about the KOT personally, all my axes sound good through that thing. Of course you can always turn the gain (distortion) down on the KOT when you use humbuckers, that's what the knobs are for. :)

For the differences in level if it's a problem I just turn up the amp a little louder with a strat than I do with the other guitars. :dude

3. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I find I use far fewer pedals with Humbucker guitars. The differences between pedals is more apparent with singles IMO.

4. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Definitely, hot pups drive the OD harder and into breakup sooner. It changes saturation levels and tone too. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

This is why I use a booster (radial PB-1) at the beginning of my chain. I use it to make single coils have the same output as my (low output humbuckers. In that way, the OD's all respond the same way, and the volume is constant, when I swtich guitars. Lehle makes a new 3 level stomp for this. I have too many OD's to turn all the knobs.