OD pedals that "clean up well"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by homerayvaughan, Jan 16, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Why is it important to have an OD or Dist pedal that cleans up well? I never quite understood this. Seems to me if you want to revert to a cleaner tone you'd just bypass (turn off) the pedal. I can understand the concept with an amp, especially a single channel amp, to go from a crunch tone to a cleaner tone by rolling down the volume on the guitar. Is it just a matter of personal taste or the application in which the pedal is being used?

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

Some people only use the volume knob. It also allows them to control the amount of od a little better for rythmn to lead work.

I use two OD pedals, I'm not a knob turner!

3. madsr

madsr Member

for me anyway it makes the OD more versatile.. I like pedals that clean up nicely because I get have a dirty tone or a mild od from 1 pedal instead of needing more.. same with fuzz..

4. drolling

drolling Member

Agreed - but I've taken to modding volume controls, as they can often suck out the highs as you roll them off. I got a little kit of caps & resistors w/some pickups and liked the effect enough to have it done to most of my electrics..

5. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

If an OD or dist pedal "cleans up" well when the guitar's volume control is reduced, then that is an indication that the pedal likely is dynamically responsive to the input signal. That is a good thing, because it makes the pedal react in a more amp-like way. OD and dist pedals that change their harmonics and tone in response to changes in your picking attack are more fun and more inspiring to play, IMO. They don't homogenize everything that you play into them.

Now, this is not a guarantee. Some pedals (certain fuzzes as well as the Blackstone Mosfet OD come to mind) clean up well, at least in part, because they sense a change in the input signal's impedance (caused by reducing the guitar's volume control) more than a reduction in the actual signal strength. These pedals may or may not also be dynamically responsive to picking attack.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Listen to ten years gone and you will see why...... +1 Jim! I like pedals that are pick sensitive even more than those fuzzes that are vol. sensitive but not pick sensitive.

7. cameron

cameron Member

Yeah, I think responsiveness to pick attack is the key, not so much responsiveness to the volume knob. An effect that "cleans up well" to me means that you can get that on-the-edge sound, where the signal is really clean if you pick lightly, and quite distorted if you dig in with the pick.

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Some great pick sensitive pedals, Hellbilly, BJF pedals in general..., Skreddy Screwdriver (Ten Years Gone Clip above)

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I like a pedal that cleans up well for the above-stated reasons, and also because it's easier for me when I'm singing to use the volume knob on the guitar when I need to switch from dirty lead to cleaner rhythm sounds. Sometimes there isn't time to look down at my pedalboard to hit a pedal.

10. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

11. Chadley

Chadley Member

Care to share your secret?

12. erksin

erksin Member

The Hotcake, OCD, and Timmy also clean up extremely well IME...

13. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Some players like the shades in between "distorted" and "clean".

14. Toasted

Toasted Member

I think that the Barber LTD "cleans up" well - but I could be misunderstanding the terminology :)

15. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

16. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I find the Hellbilly, Hellbaby and Hotcake (especially when clean-boosting, in the case of all three- get 'em working with the amp) and they respond really well to fingerstyle playing- dynamics really come through and can change the sound as you're playing. Great fun with blues.

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I run my OCD @18V and I found it has a lot of dynamics and touch sensitivity. I guess I'm just living the OCD honeymoon at this moment as I'm raving about it everywhere, but it sure works for me. It also cleans up nicely at the pot.

Hotcake was nice too. I wasn't so comfortable with that sound with my LP though. Works great with my bandmates Telesonic.

That Screwdriver sounds bloody good! Wonder how backordered Skreddy is at the mo?

18. empty71

empty71 Member

According the his website, he needs 6 weeks to build the pedals. I'd ordered my Screwdriver early Jan and the wait time then was 4 weeks.

E-mail Marc if you need the pedal in a hurry.

19. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

when i think "clean up with volume knob" i think fuzz face. and while it is a good fuzz pedal maxed out, it is a GREAT overdive with the fuzz set low, i love the sound with the volume rolled back on the gutar and the face set volume full, fuzz at half.

20. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

I just talked to my teacher, and he showed his pedal board.
    Not to many pedals 2 DOD'S vintage they are grey color one preamp,the other one a 250, EQ and at the end, here,is the trick!! A volume pedal
    So all the pedals allways on, guitar wide open, and he controls the amount
    of OD or DIST with the Vol pedal.
    How is that for a set up?:dude