OD Search

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Guitarmiester, May 10, 2015.

1. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Member

I've been on a ridiculous delay and reverb kick lately, only to come across the issue of needing to add an OD to my board. I usually use my Mesa a Single Recto for cleans and gain but just started playing for a second band that calls for a lighter drive. I could easily re-eq my Mesa but that's a first world problem to keep changing settings.

I'm not looking for anything fancy but something that can ballpark the type of drive you'd hear from Circa Survive. I'm thinking a Boss Blues Driver since that's really the only stand alone OD pedal I've ever tried that i thought had enough balls to be the only source of gain. To be honest, I haven't touched OD pedals in a while so I'm sure there's a lot of options out there. Before anyone throws it out there, I had an OCD and wasn't all that impressed. Too bright and too gainy.

At the same time, I'd like an OD that isn't going to sound completely weak to the point where I might as well fiddle with my amp settings per band.

2. Smashies

Smashies Supporting Member

As I understand it, your amp has two channels with 5 modes (Channel 1=Clean or Pushed, Channel 2=Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain)

Would you be using the OD into your clean channel or gain channel or are you hoping for something that will go into both?

I ask this because there are many pedals out there that are better suited either through an amp set "gin clear", others that are better suited into an amp that is on the verge of breakup, and even others that are best through an amp that is well into breakup territory. To me, most "amp-in-a-box" pedals are best through a clean platform, tho YMMV. If you set your amp on the verge of breakup, a transparent OD like a Timmy or Em-Drive is great for giving you that extra "umph" in amp-like gain without coloring your amp's tone. If you're okay with slight tone coloration, Klon variants seem to be very hard to dislike, just based on the TGP consensus (EHX Soul Food is a very, very good variant and very, very affordable—this is coming from the owner of a SF and a KTR). If you have your amp set well into cooking territory, transparent ODs are still a great choice, but it's also the territory where treble booster pedals shine (don't get me started on TB pedals, I'm a bit obsessed).

Just keep in mind that if you keep channel 1 set gin clear, and channel 2 in any form of breakup, a single overdrive pedal with the same settings will impact each channel very differently.

If you didn't like the OCD b/c it was too bright and too much gain, I'd venture to say you might not be a big fan of a traditional tube screamer design. Before I get pounced by TGP: no, I do not think the OCD and Tube Screamers are that much alike.

Again, Klon-variants are outstanding pedals that excel at delivering low gain (the conventional use of a Klon-variant is to put the gain b/w 9 and 11 o'clock, no higher). That might be your ticket. A Timmy is also a great way to go; it's like a swiss army knife of the boost/od/eq world.

Before anything, though, I'm curious how you plan to set your amp first. However, the OD pedal you get may dictate that answer!

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

4. papersun

papersun Member

yes, this. :munch

5. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Member

I currently have channel 1 set very clean and channel 2 on modern but with the gain rolled back to 9 o'clock and a TC Spark Booster pushing it as a clean boost for an extra edge. With the experimenting I've done, I've found clean and treble boosters to work wonders with a Recto, compared to boosting with a TS-style circuit.

As for the new OD, I was looking for something to run on the clean channel but I could probably get away with a different kind of boost on channel 2 since I don't use much gain. My setup is a bit against the common order of effects "rules" since I run delays and plate reverb in front. The effects loop on the Single Recto is not pedal friendly, unless you use one pedal where the volume mix doesn't really matter. There are times where I'd like to be able to utilize longer reverbs with dirty tones, but that's impossible running up front. This is where an OD could come in handy on the clean channel.

The only thing that will make this hard is that channel two in modern produces a very full sound, which I'm highly doubting most OD's through a clean channel are able to compete with.

6. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Barber Gain Changer will change your life...