OD search

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dpgreek, Aug 11, 2019.

1. JimHalinda

JimHalinda Member

Dr Scientist The Elements. Crazy versatile!

2. MattDawg5

MattDawg5 Member

3. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

There are so many ODs around, so who knows what you'd like best. However, though not flashy or boutique, I'll throw the Boss OD-3 into the discussion. I like it clean and on my amp's second channel, two things you said you're looking for. Even further, I like how it works with some of my fuzz pedals.

4. jruano

jruano Member

Klon is what you need there

dpgreek likes this.
  5. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

So this would have enough mid to have a good OD crunch w a fendery clean but at same setting boost a driven channel? 808 maybe good too

6. dpgreek

Was very interested in this a while back. May revisit w this search

hippieboy likes this.
  7. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I have one and really like it, it excels at mid gain. I think you might like it!

dpgreek likes this.
  8. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

OCD sounds like the ticket to me, I really enjoyed mine with every amp I tried it with. If budget isn't a concern, Kingsley drives are glorious! The minstrel and jester have great mid controls and can be tailored to pretty much any amp you can think of

9. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

First pedal that sprang to mind is the Fulltone Secret Freq.
    Sweepable mids knob plus tone knob. Not a metal type high gain, but still plenty of gain on tap. Works great into a tweed voiced Fender style amp.
    It’s the pedal that replaced my old blackface rat, I can nail that rat medium gain tone with the Secret freq in my rig. Plenty of volume on tap as well.

dpgreek likes this.
  10. dpgreek

Which version of OCD was the favored one most gravitate to? I know theres 4... dont know much about it

11. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Because it’s TGP, I’ll throw the WHE Green Rhino in for contention. It’s a TS-based pedal but you can alter the bass and midrange content, making it far more versatile than your typical TS. I use mine with both Fender and Marshall amps and it always sounds great.

Michigan guitar and Ryno1331 like this.
  12. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

Timmy would be first choice, but they are kind of scarce unless you want to pay way more than retail.

I'll second the above recommendation of the Boss OD-3. It reminds me of the Analogman Prince Of Tone in a lot of ways, but is a bit easier to find in stock.

ETA- Analogman appears to have Prince of Tones in stock right now, and usually gets new ones in on Wednesdays if he is out of stock.

I was a long time Boss BD-2 fan, but I like the OD-3 a smidge more these days.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  13. songtalk

songtalk Member

Smallsound/Bigsound Mini is the only OD besides Timmy 3.0 I'm curious about.

Tabor likes this.
  14. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

The Zvex Distortron will do what you’re looking for. Between the Subs and Hi/Lo gain toggle, it can accommodate many amps, USA/Brit, clean/dirt.

It gives you JTM crunch but not the typical MIAB oversaturated, mid pushed, compressed distortion. The one problem you might have is if you really want something to push the mids into a Fender BF/SF type amp, it won’t do it like a TS. Distortron doesn’t have a big mid hump, but it’s not scooped either.

It’s designed to work as well, or better, with a Marshall as it does with a Fender. Imho it delivers. I like it with any amp I’ve tried so far. It can make your clean sound big and full or give you the sense that you’re playing an old 4 hole JTM.

There are other pedals that can meet your needs but Distortron offers a dynamic amp like crunch that’s hard to beat, especially for the price.

wannabeatle and Jaguar like this.
  15. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

And, yes, it works in front of Fender-type amps;

Christian Dulac likes this.
  16. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

I also use an assortment of Fender and Marshall amps. Of the pedals mentioned so far, I've owned/still own most of these:

Barber Gain Changer
    Way Huge Green Rhino
    Ibanez Tube Screamers (several)
    Boss OD-3
    Klones (several)
    Rocket Archers (3 models)
    Prince of Tone
    OCD (not sure which)
    Box Of Rock
    Timmy
    And literally hundreds of others...

In your situation, I'd combine 2 pedals; a Timmy for mild crunch and OCD for medium crunch. Stack the 2 for heavy crunch.

If you can only use 1 pedal, the BOSS OD-3 would fit the bill, and they're relatively cheap.

If you wanna try something specific and promise to use the honor system I can probably send you a loaner or two. (excluding the Timmy because I use it constantly).

17. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I know I'm biased but... Rimrock Mythical Overdrive - it really does deliver the goods if you use it right.

Into a clean amp as a light drive;

Into a pushed amp;

used as a heavier drive;

18. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

I’ll suggest it again here. EQD Westwood covers a wide range, works well with American and British amp voicings and has a nice EQ section.

dpgreek likes this.
  19. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

20. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Don't worry about it too much. I have V2 and love it. Some guys swear by the older ones but IMO the improvements to V2 are great, particularly the impedeance changes as well as the thicker bottom end which keeps the notes sounding thicker up high on the neck and not as thin as older versions.

Some guys think the newer versions aren't as 'open' but at higher volumes the OCD always sounds great no matter what version you use IMO. On 18V mode I find the pedal very open and dynamic, you just need to dial it in well with your amp and this pedal works amazing with Fender style amps in particular.

dpgreek and Fretlessbaby like this.