OD stacking for DRRI and VoxAC15cc

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CaseyI, Sep 14, 2006.

1. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Tomarrow I am picking up a used ac15cc, I am in the process of revamping my pedalboard and wanted some insight from the masses. I am looking for a good setup that will work with the fender and the vox. I got on Paul's list for a Tim and am looking for something to stack with a little more gain. Currently I have a jekyll and hyde but due to size I think I will get rid of it. I also hava a usa bad monkey. I play at my church, both for the youth and adult services. So, with all that in mind, what do you suggest? I have been looking at the crunchbox as well as the barber direct drive.

2. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Hi, I just recently got an Xotic AC Booster for my Strat and DRRI and it sounds great. I have an Fulltone OCD on the way for that 'stacked' sound I think you're mentioning. Either way, the sound I get from the AC is perfect for me, it's like adding a Drive channel to the DR! I previously had a Carvin Nomad which I loved because of the clean and drive channel (ie, it sounded on both channels exactly like I wanted). Unfortunately, I developed a bad 'rattle\buzzing' sound and I returned it. Might want to give the AC Booster a try.

VtG

3. mild

mild Member

As an FYI, for some reason, Vox amps tend to be a slight bit more picky about the overdrives you throw at them than Fenders - you'll find some pedals just won't work.

I'm a church guy too. I find my most used pedals are my Delay, my Hotcake, and my Keeley Compressor. The Hotcake is a great low gain stacker - I leave it always on. The Comp. really fattens out the sound, and articulates my "cleans". I'm still looking for the perfect OD... but I'm placing my Eternity order tonight. :)

4. theraygun

theraygun Member

I use a Barber LTD Silver stacked with my Bad Monkey for my DRRI. Good stuff there. The Bad Monkey fills in the mids & sustain for soloing and I leave the LTD on all the time for just a little breakup.

5. nsriley

nsriley Member

I don't have a DRRI, but I do use a 'blackfaced' clean channel a lot on my amp.....and with it I use a ver. 1 Fulltone OCD in HP mode, and behind that will kick on a BeanoBoost in full boost mode or a bad monkey set with the gain low and volume high. Gets me some high gain Marshall tones when I need it.

-Peace
    -nate

6. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far, as there are millions of OD threads, I guess I am looking for specifically something that works for Vox AND fender. Does anybody have both types of amps and a setup that they are pleased with?

7. reverber8

reverber8 Member

CaseyI

Welcome to the Vox AC15 and DRRI 2 amp camp club! Same rig here with a Korg AC15TB (sigh, no celestion blue) and a DRRI. Great combo! I am the happiest I've ever been with my tone and I appreciate the portability of this rig. We played an outdoor gig with a killer PA back on the Labor Day weekend. I got to open up the amps more then I typically do and I got several comments on my tone.

I use an Ibanez CP9 comp into a Fulldrive 2 (run at 18 volts) into a Hotcake along with a bunch of other modulation pedals. I run the CP9 all the time. The FD2 at 18 volts really sings and when I kick in the boost it really cuts thru the mix. I recently switched to using my Hotcake at a lower gain setting and find I like it better this way.

I haven't tried a Tim or Timmy yet. I did try the coveted Analogman KOT (the old guitar player for my band had one) and that was very cool with my rig. However, I really dig the FD2 into the Hotcake. The FD2 at 18 volts is awesome!

Stacking all these gets a little noisy and squeals but maybe that's because I'm a single coil guy (Fender strats & teles, 6120 w/ dynasonics, PRS w/ soapbars, Dano w/ lipsticks). I find these options give me pretty much all the OD/crunch/grind/chime flavors I need except the really high gain stuff which I don't use. Never had much luck with any Fuzz's. With the rest of the stomps on my overcrowded board I've also got the modulation food groups covered too.

I've heard some comment the DRRI plays better with OD's after the bright cap mod and some swap the Jensen out for a Weber or some other speaker. I am really happy with my stock DRRI which I purchased used. I understand these get better as they break in which I can attest to. I will replace the tubes some time in the near future.

Not to hijack the thread but are you planning on running both amps at the same time? If so, check out the Radial Enginnering Switchbone. I got one of these and I've raved about it in a few other threads here at TGP. A great ABY pedal with some very cool additional features including a boost which I can set for 3 positions of mid boost or variable gain boost. Toss in phase reverse, ground lift and the drag features and it completely justifies any sticker shock.

Congrats on the AC15. Wharfdale or blue? Lemme know what you try out and settle on OD's. Also, what are you using for guitars?

8. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

reverber8, Yeah I am pretty stoked about having the two. I don't think I will use them very often together but I will keep that ABY in mind. I am playing a '96 les paul studio and a newer sunburst fatstrat with Dimarzio virtual vintage pickups inthe neck and middle and a duncun JB in the bridge. If you are a single coil guy check out the dimarzios. They are quieter than the humbuckers and sound very similar to the fender texas specials that I had in another strat. I am also playing a Godin Radiator. Tonight I play with what I got for OD's and report my findings.

9. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

It is tough to find an OD that works with the Vox sound and the Fender sound. I've looked for a while now and settled on the AC Booster.

Good luck
    Bob

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I would say the BJF Honey Bee for low gain or the Dyna Red for higher.

11. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Crucible, where in washington are you?

12. exhausted

exhausted Member

i have the same two amps.

using an OCD and a keeley BD-2.

the vox is really picky on overdrives and the OCD is a little too lively for it as far as highs when playing with single coils. the BD-2 works nicely though.

both are great through the fender.