OD stacking tips, anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tbone135, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I've been playing forever, but I never really tried stacking my ODs/distortions. I've always switched back and forth. I have an FDII and a Rat I want to get the most use out of. Would y'all go guitar-FDII-Rat-amp or the other way? Any veterans of this method can feel free to share on this.

Thanks!

2. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I would go FD-Rat-amp probably. Try both to see what you like best.

3. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I know the best way is to experiment, but I'm pretty limited in how much stage time I have this weekend. I just wanted to knock out what I could know beforehand.

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

it depends what you want. . .
    i see the LATTER pedal as a means to 'shape' the first. . .

then again, you COULD use the FIRST pedal to 'goose' the first.

i try to wrap my head around it the first way. meanwhile, the result is the same!

i'd go rat then fulldrive. i want to 'boost' my rat when i use it. i want more gain and some eq for it. . . using the screamer on the fulldrive can 'shape' the rat to have that nice, cutting lead tone. . . .thick in the mids with lots of gain to sustain for days. . . .

i also say try 'em both.. . . but i like to go high to low gain.

. . . at other times, i've 'boosted' a screamer=\-type pedal with a clean boost (katana), and i've been FLOORED by the results. increasing the input signal (basically). . . makes it 'scream' even more. . . .

the question I have is: what would you like as the result? try to think in terms of the differences in BOTH clipping and eq. screamers have very smooth clipping. rats sure dont (which i love). decide which one you want to 'focus' on and THEN if you want pre or post eq and pre or post gain. . . .

my cents of two

5. impactblue

impactblue Member

What orogeny said....ODs with smooth clipping will retain their original timbre no matter what you feed them. The results will be a fatter more sustained tone.

But when you feed into an OD that aint so smooth e.g a distortion..then all sorts of crazy tones emerge...

I have most success, pushing a Fulldrive 2 in overdrive mode....with anything....

Anything will fatten it up..saturate it...and provide a huge sustain....

6. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I like Mojo Drive (TS setting) > Keeley Rat (Phat Rat setting). I have the gain on both pedals around 1 o'clock. Gives a really nice, fat lead tone when stacked.

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i used to stack a Tubescreamer and a Rat and got good results with the TS first and Rat second.

however, currently i typically stack higher gain pedals first so they drive the lower gain ones that have more string-to-string definition.

8. alnico2

alnico2 Member

I always preferred the FD2>Rat -- then for liquid sustain kick in the boost side of the FD2.

9. Don L

Don L Member

That's what I've been doing.

10. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Thanks y'all-that's what I ended up doing this past weekend. I run a Tone Press after both ODs and it got a little noisy, but it sounded pretty good.

11. 205

205 Senior Member

I'd go FD into the Rat.
    I stack a BD-2 into > Rat II. The BD-2 is set slightly higher in volume than my clean sound and the Rat slightly higher than the BD-2.
    I really think stacking only works best for low gain players, so my tip would be not to run gains more than ten / eleven o'clock.

12. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

What i do is the following:

Custom HoT Rod Slammer + 80's rat + mxr micro amp

That allows me to to go from od, to distortion, to lead tone.

Works well for me.

13. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

I have FD2 and have used various OD's with it. ANyway, Rat really isn't an OD it's a distortion pedal. Not sure how they stack, but if you want to stack an OD with the FD2 I would recommend a modded TS9 it works great for me when placed before the FD2 and set as almost a gritty clean boost for solos/volume boost (with some extra dirt to fill in the sound). I do mostly p&w stuff. And play through an AC30TB with blues

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I know lots of folks stack and get great results, but I have come to the conclusion that I am not a stacker. I have tons of OD's, different types, some expensive, some double OD made to stack, some Dist, and lots of fuzzes.

I find, after butting my head against the wall stacking-wise, that I like (or don't, in which case I sell it) the stand-alone sounds of my dirt pedals. More than one in line though and it gets too far away, to lo-fi for me, and lose too much definition.

I have tried many different settings, low-high, high-low, etc. Boost works okay, but I still fell too much loss of definition.

SOME of us are just not stacker folk. I do it for fun once in a while at home, but in the band situation a lot of time it gets too compressed for my liking and doesn't cut.

Just putting in my 2cents because I want other folks to know it is ok not to stack too. Some of us aren't stackers...worth a try, but if you try it a while and don't get results you like, keep doing em one at a time.

15. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

My current "stack" is a Diamond Jdrive TR into a DBA Interstellar Overdriver, into a Toadworks death rattle. Especially with the TR's multitude of sounds, its really got a ton of combos. I also have a Diamond Fireburst now after the Jdrive before the dba overdrive which allows me to use the jdrive to really send the distortion over the top.