OD suggestions based on my assessment of the Honey Bee

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TravisE, Mar 3, 2015.

1. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

I see a lot of folks asking for pedal suggestions without pointing out their likes and dislikes of their current pedal(s). I figured that might help with some suggestions.

I currently have a Bearfoot Honey Bee. The following are what I would consider to be the pros and cons of that pedal (for me). I'd appreciate some ideas based on that.

Pros: Extremely touch-sensitive. It "feels" really good. Very amp like. Not too bright. Has a great midrange and "sits" really well.

Cons: A bit too hairy for me. It's always got a "fizz" to it. I'd prefer a more fundamental tone. I'm having a hard time finding the right volume/gain level without too much gain.

For what it's worth, I play through an old silverface Bassman head through a 2x12 Germino cab w/ WGS speakers.

2. meowmers

meowmers Member

Yup that's my experience as well.

Traded a 'fundamental tone' pedal for the Honey Bee. Now I kind of miss it.

Not that the HBOD is bad, it's good, but I could use my JHS Morning Glory back..

It's based off the Bluesbreaker design but with added output volume and sensitive gain and tone controls. Adds a nice touch of compression and break up for me. I'm seeking a replacement for it right now..

3. thecomposinator

thecomposinator Supporting Member

I've had several HBOD's and I totally know what you're talking about. I'd suggest a King of Tone. That pedal is warm and tight at the same time. No fizz and it has the touch sensitive thing too. I've played a lot of OD's but the KoT is my favorite.

4. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I have an Uber Bee and I know what you mean.

Given your list of likes and dislikes about the Honey Bee you might consider the Dyna Red 4 Knob.

The Bearfoot Dyna Red 4 Knob is (surprisingly enough) a very good low gain pedal with a slight bump to the mids and a wide open sounding EQ. To my ears, the lows are tighter than the Bee and the highs are warmer and sweeter and breakup is smoother. It's very touch sensitive and still sounds really good when the Drive is set for cleaner sounds. As the Drive is rolled up it sounds sweeter and more refined than that of the rawer Uber Bee.

Because I prefer low gain pedals I had never, until very recently, considered the Dyna Red because I assumed it was just a high gain beast.

It's worth checking out.

-bEn r.

5. Paulo Grua

Paulo Grua Member

If you like the 'amp-like', dynamic nature of the HBOD, maybe you should try the SYOD (v1 is brighter, v2 darker, v3 has both possibilities). I use them both together, and think of the HBOD as part of my amp, and the SYOD v2 as my drive pedal.

6. IRG

IRG Member

I just a had a chance to try the Bearfoot tourbox, and the fella above me ^^ (ChampReverb) has it now, so he might chime in too.

Something like the Model Hs might be exactly what you're looking for. It's more of a foundation overdrive, it has a more "neutral" tone to it than the HBOD, which is modeled after a Supro amp, so the "fuzz/fizz" you hear is by design. The Hs is modeled after a Hiwatt, which is not fizzy at all. It has a really nice gain range too, from none to some to a whole lot.

The other pedal in the box was the SYOD3, which has a more modern attack/feel to it, but is really nice too. I think the Hs might be better suited for your amp. Worth checking out imo.

7. meowmers

meowmers Member

I have no doubt the above mentioned boxes will be great at what they do.

But I believe they will too, along with the HBOD, lack the natural sounding compression and sparkle of a bluesbreaker style pedal like the Analogman Prince of Tone, King of Tone, CMATMODS Butah and JHS Morning Glory.

i'll continue my fundamental OD search..

8. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I really like the Model Hs too and will probably buy one. It has a scooped midrange and really excels at maintaining a jangly string to string clarity even as the gain goes up. Wonderful for Beatle-ish arpeggios. I've had the tourbox for less than 24 hours do that's all I've tried so far with it.

The Dyna Red 4K seems similar to the Model Hs but it pushes the mids a bit instead of scooping them. To me, the Model Hs has a bit of a cooler sound where the Dyna Red 4K has a warmer sound and it sits more in the Honey Bee camp but is tighter than the Bee, sweeter as the Drive goes up (where the Uber Bee can get a tad harsh) and feels more like a big amp instead of a small amp that's maxed out and ready to blow.

The Dyna Red and Model Hs both have a very natural amplike sensitivity to pick attack. The SYOD3 pick attack feels way too tight and hard to me ...like a solid state rectifier.

Anyway, OP, I hope you find a good overdrive that works for you. These are just some possibilities to consider. I've been through about 40 overdrive pedals in the past few years and, from my viewpoint, these ones are among the best ...for me.

-bEn r.

9. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

Here I am singing the praises of the Blue Note again.
    Awesome pedal and extremely easy to dial in.
    It is worth giving it a look.

10. Serenity

Serenity Member

Mojo Hand Magpie.

11. e???

e??? Member

Fulltone Fat boost v1 has the pros you described, and only starts the fizz around 2-3 oclock on the "grit" nob

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

MHP 72° maybe?