OD to boost a JMP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Erico, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Erico

Erico Member

I've got a Marshall JMP2204 amp with master volume, and while it sounds awesome at lower gain levels, it gets a bit shrill and thin when I turn the preamp gain pot all the way up. So, I thought I'd get an overdrive to boost it from low-gain into mid/higain territory, and that's where you guys come in.
    Has anyone here got some good recommandations for OD-boosts? I've been looking a bit into the Barber Direct Drive, as well as the Keeley SD-1 or TS-9 mod. Any other opinions?

Thanks,
    Erico

2. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

At the risk of sounding like I work for Xotic --- because I keep repeating myself about their pedals --- you should give the RC, AC and BB a try. I love the way my strat sounds like a strat through these pedals.

RC Booster, clean boost to just a hint of gain, extremely transparant, best used to push your tubes into the hot zone or to simply "open up" the tone.

AC Booster, clean boost to medium gain booster, a little compression compared to the RC, sounds great alone, better yet when stacked into the RC.

BB Preamp, clean boost to high gain, more compression but not too much, sounds good at lower levels but amazing at medium to high levels. When I want more granularity and compression I use a Maxon SD-9 modified by Analog Man.

You'll be doing yourself a favor trying these pedals before settling on something else. I have a dealer near me that lets me bring anything back I don't like for a full refund within a couple days. Perhaps you can ask for a similar arrangement.

Xotic, if you're listening, maybe you should start sending me kickbacks.

3. samtheman

samtheman Member

MI Audio Crunch Box !!

/sam

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

If you're playing at lower levels I recommend an attenuator to get the power tubes cooking. The PlexiTone is nice because it gives you two choices of distortion, one thicker than the other, plus a separate clean boost. It'll keep you in the Marshall camp and cost you about $140 used.

5. el34power

el34power Member

So far. To boost my JCM800's drive channel. The best thing i found was the Keeley BD-2 phat.

You could use the low input with a Direct drive or for more gain an MI audio Crunch box or best of all IMO the Tube Zone.

6. Oddos

Oddos Member

That amp should take most pedals pretty well. Not sure what you like but SD-9 and BB Preamp are two very different and good sounding choices.

I have like 30 different dirt pedals, though, and good Marshalls seem to love them all really.

7. Erico

Erico Member

The MI Crunch Box has tickled my curiosity. Seems like a nice pedal at a very nice price. Any impressions of the Marshall/CB combo?

Oddos: Kult med flere nordmenn her! Henger du på GN/vintagegitar? Hvordan liker du OD100en?

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Here's a ToneFactor Mule for $105 on the emporium, or you can buy it new from TGP-ist Brad for $129 (click pic for that)...

[​IMG]
    Click pic for link to TF website w/ audio clips.

9. el34power

el34power Member

The CB doesn't do a good job in Goosing an already dirty amp IMO. It has too much gain and needs the gain to be high enough in order to have a good amout of volume. This being said.
    Threw the clean channel (low input) this pedal kills.
    gain... you can dial in the CB tone out of the Tube zone but not the other way around.... If you can afford it, i would go with the tube zone for versatility only. The Crunch box is an absolute "to have" pedal.

10. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

+1 for the MI Audio Crunchbox. I just got one and running it through my Marshall 1974x it just cooks!! I was looking for a crunch tone w/bite and it gets me there. It also allows good note aticulation