OD to complement my Barber DD

Anthony M

Gold Supporting Member
Hi all! I'm looking at some recommendations for a second OD pedal to complement my DD, which I love! I would like something that sounds different, so perhaps a Fuzz or Muff- or maybe an OD that's on another tonal spectrum. No overly saturated distortions. I'm playing Strats and Gretsch Jets out of a TM60.

Thanks!

Reg18

My only experience with stacking was with a SSDD and I never found a perfect match to be honest. It had quite a bit of gain and really didn't respond that well to adding another mid gain OD.
I seem to remember it stacked better when the harmonics internal dial was backed off a bit otherwise it was just complete saturation and no definition. Although that could be what your looking for?

Presc

Are you trying to stack or have a separate standalone drive? The Gain Changer is actually a great complement - the DD is more compressed and mid-heavy, the GC is more open sounding and has a neutral EQ. It actually has a wider range of tones than the DD. They both do different things and do them well IMO.

WhoJamFan

Not to get all TGP on you, but the Timmy pedal was all the stacking rage here for years. You couldn't log on without seeing a post about them.
Had one, great pedal, will get another eventually.

gatordoc

If you just a want an OD that sounds different from the DD then I agree that a Tim/Timmy is a good choice. I have a DDSS set up for a Hot Rodded Marshall tone on my main board along with a Tim, Cusack Screamer v2, Iron Bell, and JCM Drive. All sound different sonically than the DDSS - even the JCM Drive. Both the Tim and Timmy are great low to moderate gain ODs with a different EQ/gain structure than the DD/DDSS pedals and they do also stack well with them.

Anthony M

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I'm looking for another stand alone OD that gives me another flavor. The Timmy sounds like a great second option. Thanks

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
The Gain Changer is an obvious choice. I like the Skreddy hybrid fuzz or the lunar module with mine. Keeley's katana blues or red dirt sounds pretty good with it too. I don't stack them. I just think any of these would cover a lot of ground together with the dd.

71strat

If you want something really different/, that can do really nice arm OD up to rip roaring Drive/Compression is an EHX Blackfinger Optical Tube Compressor. Its a really nice pedal, and not only is 1 of the best compressors around, is also a highly functional Drive. Also runs on a full 48v, and is very powerful in output.

Its very versatile, and has potential for a very wide variety of settings.

For a Medium Gain Drive look into a Roger Mayer 4644 Drive.

It does the Transparent thing all day long, stacks with other drives, and also is a really nice stand alone drive, and works with any pickup/amplifier, and is in no way fussy about that. It makes a Timmy ( 1458 chip ) sound like its muffled. I have the 1458 Timmy, and have used it for years to drive my Big Muff/Low Gain/Wht Dot Analogman Sunface/Sundial and I really like the Timmy, but IMHO is overrated as far as what is considered Transparent, and it also doesn't retain harmonics as good as some other pedals. But it does have its own thing going on, and I like it. I also find the Timmy way less forgiving, and harder to dial in than the 4644.

Again, I still use the Timmy, but I also use other pedals like the 4644 as they sound different. I would buy the Timmy again. But if I was going to buy a drive like this... as far as output goes, Id go for the Mayer, although it is more expensive. I don't think the Mayer has any more output vs Timmy

For me. If I was to get a Silicon Fuzz, that also will clean up, and can be used as a Drive, is the Mayer Voodoo Axe Classic.

Its the modern version of the fuzz Mayer made for Hendrix on the Axis Album, and was also used on Band Of Gypsies... If you want the Exct 1 Hendrix used that would be the Axis Fuzz.

Again, the Voodoo Axe Classic is the same circuit, with added EQ and 2 x Buffers, or 1 x True Bypass, and can drive 2 amplifiers with no signal loss.

If I didn't get 1 of those I would get the ANALOGMAN BC183... But I would go for the Mayer because it is Noise Free modern upgrade with the same circuit. I'm not against change for the better.

For a Germanium Fuzz

Mayer Page 1 Classic... Same pedal Jimmy Page/Big Jim Sullivan used in 64. Also the same pedal Mayer used for the Stones... Satisfaction Fuzz. But is also a Modern Take, and more flexible.

Mayer Rocker Series.... Classic Fuzz... Same Fuzz Hendrix used on his 1st album. AYE

ANALOGMAN CV7005 Germanium Sunface/Sundial.

The Mayer Voodoo Blues is his version of he Tube Screamer, but No Mid Hump, and an EQ control

The Voodoo Boost is his version of a Rat. With EQ

Mayer Concorde+ Treble Booster.. Its both Silicon/Germanium.

www.modestmikesmodes
makes a really nice Cornish Mod Big Muff ( Completely gone over ).. Or Phat Rat.

Anthony M

Gold Supporting Member
Just wanted to thank all for your input. Will be checking out the following:

Timmy
Gain Changer
J Coloccia ID - was another alternative to Timmy posted, but can't find the post. May have been deleted

Mayer is tempting, but expensive. At that price, I would also consider Kingsley Paige

Pablomago

On my board with a DD I have a ZenDrive and a BBE Green Screamer (TS type pedal). I do the low gain raised volume thing with the BBE.

Trending Topics