OD/tube screamer advice for a Super Reverb?

I have a blackfaced 71 super reverb and have to pedals to overdrive it at reasonable volumes. I tried my MXR 108 Classic fuzz and it didnt work too well with it especially with the bright switch on. I play rock/blues/alternative kind of stuff. The Black Keys, old Kings of Leon, My Morning Jacket, John Mayer. I use a strat. What are good options for the Super Reverb?

B_of_H

What speakers?

IMHO and in my experience: speakers make a huge difference. If you have speakers with a scooped mid-range ala jensen p10r's they seem to make most dirt pedals sound fizzy and harsh. My SRRI with the stock speakers makes dirt pedals sound like a fizzy mess. Played through speakers with a more modern response the same amp sounds good with my dirt pedals.

of course I'm not an expert on this subject like others on here. :)

rer122504

I play a barber LTD with my bright switch on and I love it I also have a TS9 but mainly use that to boost lead

67blackcherry

For years, all I was using was a BF'ed Super and an old (real) TS9. Sounded like heaven. If I had to go that route again, I'd go with the 4x2 Flexi mod on a TS9 Turbo by Keeley; eight sound possibilities in one pedal.

Strat58

Hi I use for a Super Reverb (reissue) a Eternity with Cot 50 gold, works great with Deluxe Reverb to.
Peace Strat58

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
For a Super Reverb a good Tubescreamer or any of the million variations on it.

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
love the maxon od-808 and or an xotic BB both sound killer into a BF fender. Maybe try flipping that bright switch down?

B_of_H

Just curious: all of these ts9 recs.

Why not just put a speaker in that has a full midrange and/ or get higher output pickups?
It seems to me like you've got a lack of mids in the speaker so you are using a mid-boost pedal that colors your tone to try to make up for it.

I do realize that the fender tone stack is also kinda a scooped mid sound in the first place. It just seems like everyone is trying to avoid addressing the real issue.

Funky54

I have been playing a 67 black face for years. Not a strat though. I play Gretsch and a 54 Paul through it. With the original 10's, I really liked my good old Tube Screamer TS9. It sounded awesome, I coil tap the paul into single coils often..Nice sound.

Somebody said something about speakers..I took my original baffle board and grill cloth out and put them in storage. Now I play a 5/8" thick 13 ply birch baffle board and two original Vox (celestion) 15 watt grey bell sprakers. They sound amazing! All of a sudden pedals that didn't work before sounded fantastic! Two 12" speakers really really woke this amp up. The tens are great for rythm and they are very very nice, but the 12's are the bomb. I believe the Supers run at 2 ohm? With two 8ohm 12's I believe its running at 4 ohms, so the output is even less. It breaks up really nice. I tried some Jensen 12 Gold label brown speakers from a fender roads cabinet once..yuck! Real glassy sounding. So If you go with 12" speakers I would recomend something kinda like 25 watt celestions or like my grey bells..Maybe scumback or even some emminence.

sabby

Why not just put a speaker in that has a full midrange and/ or get higher output pickups?
It seems to me like you've got a lack of mids in the speaker so you are using a mid-boost pedal that colors your tone to try to make up for it.

I do realize that the fender tone stack is also kinda a scooped mid sound in the first place. It just seems like everyone is trying to avoid addressing the real issue.
I agree. I have always liked Brit style speakers in BF Fenders. I have a Weber Sig12B in my Princeton, which I like even better that the Silver Bell I tried. It has Brit upper mid-content yet the looser reaction of an American speaker. I play Strats and Teles, too.

FWIW, I like a raw OD over smooth and I love my NKT SunFace even into clean Fenders. I hate TS-types. For that vibe I'd much rather go with a Menatone Red Snapper or Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD, both of which sound like overdriving amps, not Tubescreamers. I'm going to sell mine though. It's the SunFace+Shut Up and Drive for me. It's raw until it's fat, raging, and smooth like a tidal wave.

:mob

goodhonk

because the cleans are awesome and awe inspiring.

magnus02

Silver Supporting Member
I know its not cheap, but the mad professor little green wonder sounds AMAZING. Some twists on the typical tube screamer thing, but so natural and fun to play, I highly recommend it, or as a cheaper option the Effects Pedal Boutique SRB808+

scott1568

Alnico Weber Blues were the 3rd set of speakers that I tried for my Bassman head and I love them. I am really happy with the way they address the mids and breakup. I think to firm the bottom, I might add a ceramic Weber Silver.

As far as O/D- Marshall Bluesbreaker- the OLD one. Nice woody tone that works great with Blackfaces.

What speakers?

IMHO and in my experience: speakers make a huge difference. If you have speakers with a scooped mid-range ala jensen p10r's they seem to make most dirt pedals sound fizzy and harsh. My SRRI with the stock speakers makes dirt pedals sound like a fizzy mess. Played through speakers with a more modern response the same amp sounds good with my dirt pedals.

of course I'm not an expert on this subject like others on here. :)
Two orginal, two weber 10F150Ts speakers

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
I played a show with another band and the guitarist was playing an early silverface Super Reverb and a strat. His only pedal was a Zendrive and it sounded GREAT. He wasn't going for the D*mble sound either, just nice, big OD.

Trending Topics