OD Volume with expression pedal?

I'm not an electrical guy but know some talented folks frequent this place... I'm wanting to know if there is a way to mod a pedal (anything with a volume pot) so an expression pedal could control the volume. Thinking running leads to a 1/4" jack and plug to a VP pedal. I usually run a Fulldrive 2 the whole time and prefer running the volume on pedal vs pre or post pedal. Any ideas?

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
What is it that you don't like about running the VP after the OD? The reason I ask is that on many (but not all) ODs the volume/level knob is literally the last thing in the circuit before the output jack, in which case modding for a xpdl control of the volume would not sound materially different from running a VP immediately after it.

bt2513

Moog Minifooger Drive has exp control for the drive level. Exp control for most OD pedals would be impractical I would think - many add far more db of gain on the volume control than necessary.

I guess it's more of a theoretical question. Personally there's something about the 'sound' of the VP jr that bugs me. It squashes the high end even post FX. I could see other uses like controlling drive for some users or compressor users controlling threshold.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
It's possible for most circuits. Whether it is practical depends on the individual pedal - for example, whether there is room for an extra quarter inch jack. Also depends on how you want it implemented - for example, may not want it to sweep across the whole range of the level pot.

Twinattack

Maybe try a different volume pedal. A lot of mixed opinions on the EB stuff. I've used a Boss FV500 and currently run a Dunlop Volume X after drives with great results.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Someone makes a cable that screws into an expression pedal and then the pot you're trying to control. I hear that since it's a mechanical device it doesn't work well.

DaveKS

I guess it's more of a theoretical question. Personally there's something about the 'sound' of the VP jr that bugs me. It squashes the high end even post FX. I could see other uses like controlling drive for some users or compressor users controlling threshold.
Are you using the 25k version of VPJR?