OD with the dynamic sensitivity of Zendrive but less attack.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cloudnine, Jul 28, 2008.

1. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

I'm looking for an overdrive that has the extreme dynamic sensitivity of the Zendrive (2 in my case) but has a softer, squishier pick attack, without the "clack" that Dumble inspired pedals are trying to emulate. Any ideas?

2. Dave

Dave Member

BJFE Honey Bee.

3. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm trying tyo picture how that would work, because at first thought it would seem to be interlinked...if you have the one you have the other...but maybe not?

Maybe if the initial attack has a slower response (but that ought to equate to a little less dynamic?) sort of looking for more initial compression but "bloom" then that reacts to how hard one hits it?

Just wondering what the signal would be doing on attack and after...

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Jetter Gain Stage Red ...

6. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

I love how everybody just throws their "most loved booteeeeeek drive" out there, but nobody offers any insight at all to their choice.
    Good question, Stompboxblues.
    I also think it's pretty hard to get one without the other.
    If you limit the amplitude of the sound (aka compressor, or a more compressed drive), you're loosing your sharp attack, yes, but also a lot of the dynamic. I think it's a trade-off really.
    Sorry I can't throw my "favorite" drive out there, but I hope that helped.

~Andy

7. Holey Lint Trap

Holey Lint Trap Member

I agree with this.

But I would take a gander at the new Silver Kiss Trinity. I recently got one and am very happy with it. The dynamics are very sensitive but there is a compression toggle switch for soft, hard, and open compression. The dynamics on the open compression mode are very sensitive but they get a little dampened with the soft and hard compression modes.

I really enjoy the pedal a lot. I am not sure if this is exactly what you mean but I think you can dampen the dynamics while still maintaining some of the attack.

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

have you tried a tubescreamer-type pedal?

9. Dave

Dave Member

No need to offer any "insight" in this case since the OP already stated his criteria:

"an overdrive that has the extreme dynamic sensitivity of the Zendrive (2 in my case) but has a softer, squishier pick attack, without the "clack" that Dumble inspired pedals are trying to emulate."

What's wrong with simply offering up a pedal that matches the above criteria?

And for the record, the Honey Bee is nowhere near my "most loved booteeeeeeek drive", it just happens to match the OP's criteria IMO.

10. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I use both the ZD2 and the Honeybee on my board- such different pedals though both with dynamic sensitivity. Certainly the HB is softer and squishier, but without something banging into it (like a treble booster or something) I rarely use it for lead playing as I would the ZD.

11. Brien

Brien Member

Try a compressor in front of it-controlling attack is what they do.

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

With a little research one would find that the Jetter Gain Stage Red has a hard attack and soft attack switch ... the soft attack almost eliminates the attack completely ....

13. Jam119

Jam119 Member

Barber Electronics small fry... Has great control with the dynamics knob...

14. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Think about the way a blackface fender responds with the volume at about 6 when you dig in. It's like it smooths out more when you play harder, but sounds jangly and chimey when you play light. So it's got basically the same volume level, but it's responding with more overdrive when you push it a little more with the touch of your pick.

Orogeny I have used various different TS pedals and that sound kind of has the "soft attack" I'm talking about, but I want a much more touch sensitive, smoother, purer sound than a pedal like a Keeley TS9, for example.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

So it was a little like I was imagining. But also the GSR is still very dynamic and touch sensitive?

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I might try a Barber Tone Press in front of it.:)

I hear Alf is building a clean boost...?

18. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

right on. i wanted to make sure we were on the same page before i went furthur. . . .

smoooooooooth clipping has a couple of pedals that pop into my head. . .

when you say 'pure'. . . i will ASSUME you mean a flatter eq/more amp-like. IF THAT IS CORRECT, i will suggest the boss od3 and the king of tone. the first is an excellent pedal. one of my favorites. it is often found for less than 60 used. i'd be happy to LEND you mine if you can't find one to try out. the king of tone takes a long wait, for sure. . . . and has a slightly diff eq. . .

the marshall bluesbreaker also enjoys a fairly flat eq and very smooth clipping (at least the early black box/blue letter ones. . . haven't tried the newer ones).

if my assumption is incorrect, tell me/us more. . . . !!!!

19. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Well, if you're after that fender pushed sound, the lovepedal super6 does it pretty darn well, and it's very dynamic. I also really like the AC booster, it has a bit less of the dumbly attack, but it's much more dynamic than a straightforward TS pedal. Hope that helps, and I'd also maybe think of the compressor as someone suggested. Maybe a tone press with the blend almost all clean, just a touch of the comp?
    Kurt

20. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Wow thanks everyone!
    To answer your questions, flat eq and amp like are both great, but by purer I really mean free from harshness or a "distorted" characteristic. There is that bit of "crunch" to the attack that Tube Screamers have that I'm not into. The Barber Tone Pump is a good example of what I mean when I say pure, but it's not nearly as touch sensitive or transparent as the Zendrive 2 IMO. I keep the voice control dialed quite low on the ZD. A compressor is not what I'm looking for since dynamic response is such a high priority but all the other suggestions seem great.