OD100 clean channel.......?? !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by countandduke, Jun 9, 2006.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

Okay, what amp or amps have the bodacious tone and largeness of the OD100?? I think I remember Scott Henderson talking about his Bandmaster being very similar. Looking for heads that take pedals and have the clean tone of channel 1 on the OD.

Yep, the Flexi is probably one of those amps.........

Thanks...

Chris

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

I don't know how close the Flexi is. I haven't used 5881s or 6L6s in mine in a LONG time, but I don't think the Flexi has quite the headroom that the OD100 ch1 has. I juxt think it sounds BETTER. :)

Are you looking for a single channel head? Because in my opinion, a few of the (channel switching) competitors of the OD100 have similar clean channels. If you're looking for just 1 channel, there are so many great used Fenders at affordable prices... I might just lean that way.

I have to make some clips of the Flexi clean.

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

It's more out of curiosity and knowledge gain that I ask something like that. Channel 1 of the OD is so bad ass that I wonder if Mr. Suhr designed that channel after an old Fender or something like that. I have heard that the Fender Bandmaster and almost any older Fender has some pretty delicious tones....

Gear Addiction Syndrome I gues......

Thanks......

Chris

4. shoe

shoe Member

FYI - Scott's Bandmaster was modded by Dumble.

I believe that Bandmaster amp was used as a reference when John built Scott's version of the OD100 (specifically for the clean channel).

Take note that Scott no longer uses that version of the OD100.....now he uses the OD100 Classic (plexi).

5. bailnout

bailnout Member

Fender VibroKing has a clean tone that beats the clean of my OD100SH with Plexi OT and EL34s which I guess is pretty close to what Scott Henderson is currently using. But that Fender doesn't have the clean headroom that I have with my OD100. But if you are just talking tone, I think that Fender is one of the few if only amp I've found that I would say sounds better than my OD. I don't know if it takes pedals as well as the clean side of my OD100. I doubt it. I'm so happy with the clean channel on my OD100 that I don't have GAS for anything else.

6. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Super Reverb was the inspiration for the OD100 clean side (pretty sure of that)

7. countandduke

countandduke Member

I remember hearing the Dumble part now, thanks for the memory jog. Scott uses channel 2 of his OD100 classic though so...............

I had a vibroking and I thought it was a great clean tone but I didn't think it took pedals all that well. At least not as good as the OD100.

Thanks all........

Chris

8. takis

takis Member

i had one bandmaster head 1965 and i have played the clean chanell of OD-100!
    the clean chanell of od 100 is one the best cleans i have ever heard!
    the clean of bandmaster is...ok and without headroom.flexi also have not the headroom of od 100 and also is not very clean.it breaks up a lot more easier than od 100!
    one of the best cleans i have ever heard (but not so good as od100),is the clean of germino club 40!he is taking the pedals better than every
    amp i know!what an unbelievable amp!:dude
    about what pedals are you speaking!overdrives,distortion etc..or delay and these type of effects?
    fender amps general don t take so good the pedals...you can "fix" that by using one booster maby as bb preamp or one bjf!
    a!fender bandmaster head is the only fenderr amp that was taking the pedal so good!
    listen the clip:"scuttle" here:http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=310394

i have playd with tha bandmaster head and one maxon od 9 with my suhr guitar!

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I recall reading John Suhr, saying it was a Twin....

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Could be, and I might be thinking of Landau comparing it to his Super Reverb (also modded by Dumble), saying thats why he loves using the OD100.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

My OD100 Classic sounds like a huge Super Reverb with more low mid content. Really sounds good with a band, fat and crisp. The lead channel is great although I find the tone of the boost a bit too different than the non-boosted tone.

12. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Go to Indoor Storm site and listen to the Egnater Mod50 with the deluxe and SL2 modules. The deluxe kills.