OD100 owner's, where art thou???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr.Samsonite, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Mr.Samsonite

Mr.Samsonite Member

Haven't seen any recent postings about the OD100 and I am contemplating a purchase but always like to read pros and cons. I have done a fair bit of internet research here and at the hugeracks site. Looking for thoughts....

Thanks.....

2. shoe

shoe Member

Use the "search" function on this board. There's like a million OD100 threads....

3. Mr.Samsonite

Mr.Samsonite Member

I did and that provided a great source of information but I noticed that the number of posts seems to be dwindling....BUT that's because there's so much information already out there. So I take it that the OD100's are being played instead of written about then??? :D

Lloyd.

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Great amp. I have the OD100 stock clean and SE lead with 3 way whomp switch to boot. THe amp is awesome. I use it in a band as does the other guitarist use one and the sounds are great. Peter Lacis (AKA) Shoe has some live video clips of his band and if you go over to
    http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewforum.php?f=1

you can search and read plenty as well as hear some different examples of the amp in various contexts..

5. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

6. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Hey SS... What's the "whomp" switch?

kw

7. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    You got it. It is my favorite High gain amp ever.

Chuck

8. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

You have to hear it to believe it. Adds lower mids and girth to the lead channel. Combined with the knobs on back for power amp presence and feedback, it becomes a different amp. THe SE already has a more singing tone but with whomp engaged it fattens it up as well as gives it a sweeter sound. I bought mine stock with the Whomp and SE lead channel. Great amp!! Displaced many, many of my others. In fact I am down to three amps which is a low point in 7 years. The other two are Bill Krinard one off high gainers based off fender clean/dumble second channel and modded marshall 3rd channel.

9. thegame

thegame Member

What does the OD100 'feel' like? Squishy, liquidy or hard, percussive?

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I play a OD100 Classic as my main amp. I absolutely love it.

11. Mr.Samsonite

Mr.Samsonite Member

Yep, definitely checked out the threads at Hugeracks although I didn't see any boobs so I was bummed. Come to think of it there were a couple in there.........

From what I have gathered, Scott Henderson only played channel 1 of his OD100 and now plays only channel 2 of the classic. Interesting.....

I have LONG thought that you needed at least 2 heads, one for clean and one for overdrive. But I have also thought that all overdrive should come without pedals but hey....I'm learning.

The Suhr folks seem to be in an interesting stage right now as far as growth and development. I hear nothing but rave reviews of them and their courtesy so kudos to them for being in the limelight and willing to mod their amps to their customer's liking. I can't think of any other amp company that is so willing to mod their own amps and post on boards like this one and others as well.

L

12. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I would say it leans toward the hard percussive side rather than squishy/liquid (adjectives that I apply more to 'dumble' type of gain). This is modded marshall type but still gets singing and liquid if you want.

this is the best no compromise ch switcher I have played and it is my main gigging amp for that reason. No need for pedals (except maybe some reverb/delay for me). simply killer in every situation. :dude

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I use both channels of mine, a pedal for strats and another for humbuckers. I use a Switchblade in the loop to preset two different volumes. Works like a charm. I only use one head now, I always used two.

14. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I am loving my Red OD-100 Low Gain Classic. I've done a couple of gigs and some recording with it so far and it just does everything I want it to do. It's very easy to control, works great with pedals and with hums or single coils. I haven't been as jazzed on an amp in years and I have gone through a lot of them ever since the curse of the Gear Page got a hold of me.

So far live I've use 2 1x12 cabs for a couple of gigs and a 2x12 for another. I can't decide which I like more as they both sound great. I guess it depends on the gig.

Here's a link to a bunch of clips at the Suhr site:
    http://www.suhrguitars.com/audio.aspx

15. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

GAT, tell me about the switchblade; what is it and how do you use it?

Thanks

Joe