OD100 SE/STD vs. XTC 101B head to head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Urkoman, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Hi all!

I had the chance to make this face-to-face a month ago. I´ve been doing some tricks with the Bogner before writing this, just to do it the best i can. The amps were a standard 101B an a SH/Std.
    So, this is it. We tested them with an Anderson Cobra S, Suhr classic S (ash/maple/maple) and a Tyler Studio Elite (alder/maple/maple). Tried them without any effect, with a g-force on the loop, and with some pedals in front (RC,AC and BB from Xotic, mainly).
    First of all say i own an XTC, and was checking the OD100 because i´m not completeley happy, it was a try before buy ;)
    The cab was a Mesa 4x12 with c90´s. Volume..extremely high :dude:

CLEAN:

Ok, channel one on the OD...i was completely and absolutely floored, i have to admit. One of the most beautiful and complex clean tones i´ve heard, i just remember one amp´s clean i liked most, and was a 1 channel amp...Turning on the boost was blues heaven. What a marvellous channel, i´d buy the amp only for it....
    The Bogner was something almost opposed. Never liked it very much, but i could make it sound quite good after a lot of tweaking, specially leaving the boost on and setting the gain low, but to say it shortly, it was an overkill. The Bogner could not stand a chord.
    With pedals both sounded good, but the better base-tone on the OD100 made it sound better with pedals

GAIN

Blue channel on the XTC with the boost off had a nice overdrive, a little dark but beautiful, but a different league than the od100 ch 1 boosted. More a 70´s rock sound than the bluesy sound of the od100. Both great, quite different.
    Let´s go to channel two of the od 100 unboosted. It had a Great rythm sound. I have to say this amp reminds me very much an SLO 100, a tad less agressive and with less highs, but very near. Rock rythms sound fantastic, very defined, not much compression.
    The blue channel boosted on the xtc sound great also for rythms, a little more compressed on the bass, but fabulous all the way. This way the amp has a TREMENDOUS solo sound for classic rock or texas blues.

So far you can see the OD100 was the clear winner for me, hey? This is the part where things begin to change...

The OD100 sounds better on the rythms, not too much, but a little better due to having less compression. But when we enter the solo work things change VERY much. I don´t mean the OD100 does not work great with it, but it´s best value for the rythms(less compression) is the biggest disadvantage for the leads.
    Tone is beautiful but sounds somewhat unfocused, and also playing is much harder than with the bogner, as the notes "die" very soon. Legato work and similar has to be worked hard with the OD100, while with the XTC is extremely easy.
    When playing with some backing tracks (no band at the moment, but great backing tracks for a friends band) the situation was almost the opposite than before. Can´t say it was an overkill, but there was a big difference: the OD sounded "very good", the XTC sounded...perfect. Absolutely focused an cutting in the mix like a knife, fabulous sound. The CAA also cut, but more "dispersed", it´s difficult to explain. :( One point for the OD100 is that pedals sounded great with it, but the bogner gets muddy soon with pedal on gain channels.

So...the winner is...hmmmmm...can´t tell. I think the OD100, but don´t know if enough to change my amp. I have a couple of questions that could solve it all:
    1) How do compressors work on the od 100s loop/in? I don´t tend to like em
    2) The biggest point...has the SE mod a little more mids/compression when CH2 is boosted? I had a 3+Se in the past and it was a little better for that, but still needed some compression...

If this questions have an affirmative reply, i´ll probably sell the XTC and buy the OD100.

A final point, the fx loop. Works great on both.

Of course this all is my personal oppinion, i can be wrong, and your oppinion can be very different from mine ;)

CHEERS

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I agree 100%. Dead on review! I like Bogners for lead playing, but not much else.... the CAA OD100 is better in all other areas.

3. Diezel

Diezel Guest

I loved the OD100 that I played at the Tone Merchants.

I've never really liked the tone of Bogner amps. I'm not much into vintage stuff, but if I had to choose, I'd go with a Shiva.

CHEERS :), have you heard Al Estrada play the OD100? He gets some sick tone out of it.

Check out the video clips here: http://www.alestrada.com/OD100.htm

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I've owned both the Bogner (XTC Classic) and the OD100SH. The Bogner was my favorite channel switcher for years. That was until I walked into Tone Merchants and Ed Yoon talked me into plugging into the OD100. There was no contest for me. The OD sounded better than my XTC in every arena from rhythm to lead and clean to mean and every point in between. It should be said that I don't care for compression much though. I like every note to stand out and be very percussive. The XTC's cleans are lousy at best (always was my biggest complaint with that amp) and while killer for lead tones with the blue or red channel boosted it was always too compressed and processed sounding and feeling for me. I want every nuance of my picking and fingering to come through. The XTC's compression flattens or neutralizes that feel. The OD100, on the other hand, is pure and raw. It feels more like a vintage, single channel tube amp. You can "play the amp" not just your guitar. One more note worth mentioning....I loved my OD100 right from the start, but there is much tweaking that can be done with that amp that can pretty dramatically change the way the amp sounds and reacts. I suggest spending some time with the OD. If it's a marginal winner over the XTC for you now I think you could find it a clean winner on all levels after some tweaking. And before I get flamed... the Bogner XTC is a killer amp (minus the worst cleans on any channel switcher ever) but it just doesn't measure up to the OD100 IMHO.

Just my .02

[​IMG]

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

You ain't kidden brother! And Estrada is one hell of a player.

6. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Yes, seen it a few months ago and loved it. But doesn´t Al Estrada play Splawn amps??
    That EL34 Splawn demos sound VERY EVH!!!

That´s the key point, if an amp i played for the first time was a marginal winner against an amp i know so well...when i´m used to the OD i suppose it will be a clear winner...
    Anyway, any opinion about the SE mod?

7. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Thanks sir ;)
    A pleasure to read you as usual. I think i´m gonna call Tony for ordering a OD100. I have to make some phone calls in order to have the chance to try and compare a STD/STD, SH/STD and SH/SE that are the ones owned by some friends.
    I´d like to try the STD/SE also, but i don´t know any around here.

About the speakers, you´re very right, speakers are VERY important...g12H´s for me.
    I think i´ll try the new heritage ones on the od100 cab

8. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Hi fellas, I'm considering getting a 100 from Indoor Storm (Eddie Berman) If I understood you right the SE has more gain. I want the model with the most gain. Also, will the 50 watt version break up much faster thus producing even more gain? I've narrowed my search down to CA OD100, Fuchs Supreme Overdrive 50, or soldano avenger. I'll probably AB this amp with a JCM800. I've found the soldano to be a bit too compressed. Not sure the Fuchs is going to have enough gain. So that leaves the CA as the front runner. I'm not too concerned about cleans. I'm looking for pure saturated tone something I can open up a bit more than the soldano. Kind of like a Marshall with a couple extra gain stages.

9. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

urkoman, I tried the shiva and found it to have a sweet tone especially on full chords, but it was too compressed sounding as well. I didn't really like the boost on that amp though many amps I do like have that feature now. The ecstacy is a huge upgrade from the shiva.

10. Ricker

Ricker Member

and the anniversary g12h30s are bright..........so :eek:

11. jdzialak

jdzialak Supporting Member

Can I do this to my OD100SH? Bruno mentioned some new ideas you had about changing the stock OD100.

Joe

12. wyldefan

wyldefan Silver Supporting Member

I had an compared my OD100 with my XTC and for awhile I thought the OD100 won the match. After awhile I discovered that the XTC is a much more musical amp. The OD100 is almost to thick for humbuckers. If you are a strat player there is not better amp on the market! On the gain channel I find that I like the XTC much better.

13. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Wow!
    I have heard this a few times now...
    I own 3 Xtcy heads, two 100B's and a Classic.
    How does the overdrive tone compare then?
    I've heard the OD100 's are more "grainy" gain?

Keith

14. wyldefan

The gain is very thick not so much grainy. The OD100 in my opinion is a cross between 70's rock and modern rock. First off I am not a big fan of 5881/6L6 tubes. I prefer a EL34 or KT88 loaded amp. I had the OD100 for awhile and went back and forth about it. I finally just decided to get rid of it. After awhile I knew it jus wasn't my style of gain and feel. The clean channel however was the best I have ever heard!!! I think I would probably did the 50 watt version or the EL34 version John is looking at putting out. One thing for sure is John and his staff are the best and they have unreal customer service. I have only Suhr guitars. After buying my fist I sold everything else and bought a few more and I have one on the way.

Again this is just my opinion. But comparing the two I just feel the XTC is much more musical to my ears. Maybe because the XTC is closer to a modded Marshall than a OD100. After everything I try I always go back to my old modded Marshalls.

15. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Keith,

The stock OD100 has more edge/bite to it than any XTC. If you want a smoother tone, checkout the SE modified OD100, it sings more and is more fluid.

;)

16. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I have the exact opposite opinion. The XTCs (100B, 101B, Classic) sound nothing like most Marshalls I've owned... and I own/have owned quite a few. The XTCs have a darker/smoother/more muffled tone and they totally lack the upper mids and highend treble found in almost any Marshall (modified or not). The XTC is what I'd term "Marshallesque" at best. The XTCs all have way more lower mids on tap which is why they sound darker/smoother without the classic Marshall bite/edge to them.

Power tubes play a part in the tone of most amps, but the preamp plays a bigger part. 5881s are a pretty bland tube tonally speaking, so you really don't get much coloration. Anywho, the Sovtek 5881WXT isn't even a true "5881", it's closer to a 6L6WGB... which are no longer made.

Anywho, IMHO I much prefer the tone of the CAA OD100 to that of the any version of the XTC. The OD100 sounds more like the classic Fender/Marshall clean/crunch combo than any incarnation of the XTC.

YMMV.

17. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Thanx Wiz!!

I do agree....A Bogner is a Bogner, not a Marshall.

18. wyldefan

I was refering to the feel of a Marshall not the sound. Again tone is different to everyone. The OD100 is definately cool. It just was not my cup of tea. I am sure everyone has an amp that one day they like it one day they don't.

Rock on everyone!

19. wyldefan

Thanks John. Like I listed earlier I think I would dig the 50 watt version more.

John when will the amps ship with the Suhr Logo? I can't wait to get my hands on a Suhr cab. I called you the night I traded my OD100 for a another Suhr Stadard. It was a hard call but I think I would dig the new EL34 version a lot too. The problem is that there is not one near me to try.

20. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I agree with Wizzard. I think the OD100 has WAY more in common with a Marshall than any XTC ... the XTC is looser, slinkier, more compressed, with no cut or bark. That's why I only like it for lead playing.