ODB + BBD vs BBOD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by carltonh, Jul 29, 2006.

1. carltonh

carltonh Member

So I just got the BJF BBOD, and I have to say it is the best pedal with three knobs or less I've ever heard or played. Or even more, if I could only have any one pedal, I think it would be the one I wanted. I played it with both my Pritchard, and for a test, my cheap Carvin SX100D. It sounded great with both. I would say that through a cheap SS amp, it is the equal of the V-Stack in terms of getting a tube amp sound. High gain humbuckers will have a noticable amount of overdrive on the minimum gain setting, though.

I have to note that I thought the sound samples of the BBOD sounded like a Rangemaster or similar treble boosting fuzz into a tube screamer type pedal. Tonally, I wonder if such was an inspiration for this pedal. (It seems true of the DRD too, though IMO the DRD seems 85% rangemaster and 15 % tubescreamer.) But this pedal has the ability of a fuzz to clean up great with the guitar volume knob, has the openness of a fuzz without the flubby bass, but just enough tubescreamer behind it to provide some overdrive smoothness that fuzz pedals can't get.

Also, I had already recently been using a fuzz type into a tubescreamer type. I was getting a tone not far from the BBOD samples at www.custom-sounds.com. I tried to get the sound of those samples before the BBOD came and actually could get the same sounds. So when I got the BBOD, those samples turned out suprisingly accurate. I was able to tweak the settings on my Throbad ODB and my MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe only slightly and was able to match the BBOD to an insanely close level.

Actually, the BBD could get pretty close to the BBOD on its own (when character was at 70%) when the guitar volume was at max. When I rolled it down, it was clear that the BBOD responded better to the guitar volume knob. But my Throbak ODB can actually get quite good Rangemaster sounds, and responds to rolling back on the guitar volume knob better than any pedal I've every played or heard. I see why others felt it can replace a COT50 because it can get the COT's dynamic tone and then even more tones.

Well, with the combination of the ODB set to mildly dirty germanium and pre-gain limiter on, followed by the BBD, I really can match the sound of the BBOD so close that I wouldn't recognize the difference in a sound clip or blind live comparison. There was one difference though. When rolling down the volume on the BBOD, it maintains the treble, even on my Steinberger Spirit with Dimarzio ToneZone, but also stays a little gritty, yet in a good way. The ODB/BBD combo OTOH gets clean while keeping a treble sparkle that a Tonezone hardly gets with volume at 10.

So I actually prefer my ODB/BBD combo ... cause why get a sound with only one pedal that you could get with two? :JAM Or more seriously, the ODB and BBD can get tones on their own that are also great and useful even if my favorite is for them stacked.

Though I'm tempted to keep the BBOD for an investment, I'll probably sell it after a little more fun with it. I'll probably torture potential buyers by selling it only in combination with some pedal that is as hard to sell as this one would be easy.:D

I think I see a future for more pedals that sound like one part uncompressed fuzz or treble booster that clean up incredibly well, another part overdrive that smooths out the fuzz just enough to tame it. How many other single pedals like this are there besides the BBOD and DRD? The V-Stack Classic claims too and sounds great, but I didn't really hear much treble booster in it. Are their any dual pedals like this? An ODB/BBD combo would seem the ultimate one box, IMO.

Another thought. I don't think people realize that the BBD could be used as a great EQ pedal, even a clean one. It really works well for that. It might overlap with the Sea Blue EQ in this use.

2. basscracker

basscracker Guest

ODB,BBD,:confused:,Old Dirty Bastard?Where're your BVD's?

3. carltonh

carltonh Member

ODB is a Throbak Overdrive Boost it is partly a Colorsound Overdriver clone, but with switchable additions to the circuit that I like even more that I hardly ever use the true clone mode. www.throbak.com

Old Dirty Bastard does sound like a good pedal name, though.

BBD is MI Audio's Blue Boy Deluxe. www.miaudio.com

BBOD is the Baby Blue Overdrive. www.bjfelectronics.com

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have had the BBD, but not the ODB. I also have a BBOD and the one thing I would have to think that separates from the other two is the touch sensitive, amp-like response it has. I can go from a pretty, sparkly clean tone to an all-out gritty od without changing anything except my attack, using either my fingers or a pick. The BBOD is pretty amazing at this. I haven't heard another pedal so responsive. The DRD is close, but not quite as much IMO.

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

I'll agree with that. Even when I got the BBOD and BBD to sound very close, the BBOD was more lively and responsive, enough that every listener or player would agree. Though the ODB, hard to believe but true, is even more responsive than the BBOD. Of course on its own it is definitely more of a raw sound as you'd expect a fuzz.

If you have a very dynamic fuzz that can be set for only a slight amount of fuzz, try it in front of the BBD, as I'm curious if other combinations can get this tone combination that the BBOD does by itself in one small box. I'm not sure if any or which fuzz pedals can actually match the dynamic response of the ODB though. Other Colorsound Overdriver types should, as they are just as dynamic on the silicon setting as the ODB's germanium setting.

But I still have to repeat, the BBOD is the single best overdrive I've ever found.

6. b_rad

b_rad Member

I'm down with OPP.

BTW, Glad you're enjoying the BBOD. :)

7. Matt F

Matt F Member

[​IMG]
    Foshizzle Unkadizzle.

Oye.. LOL :rotflmao

8. carltonh

carltonh Member

What is OPP? Was that something from some rap song?

Anyway, the BBOD is great, mega thanks. You might try your own Huckleberry in front of a BBD since you sell both to see if they can together get the BBOD's dynamic sound. That would even be as cheap as the BBOD when it was available.

9. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone else think the BBOD is pretty smooth? With the LGW I can get a very good approximation of the Santana type thing.

10. b_rad

b_rad Member

Yep, lame joke, sorry. :D

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

OPP ~= Other Peoples ..... Pedals :BEER

12. thebot

thebot Member

Made me laugh! :AOK

13. Don Rusk

Oh also did you try the BBOD drive below noon into the BBD also on lowered dirt ??

14. erksin

erksin Member

Once again proves what a GREAT pedal the BB/BBD is - I appreciate mine more every time I plug in...

15. carltonh

carltonh Member

I did since you mentioned it. The BBD after the BBOD can add a suttle EQ refinements if desired, and slightly more smooth refinement, in a good way. However, if someone already has a BBOD, I would say the change is minor enough not to worry about, the BBOD doesn't really need it.

I also noticed how the BBOD can get sort of a D*mblish Zendrive sound when set to high gain with tone control at min. Quite nice. The tone control is voiced uniquely and makes me wonder how it is designed differently from other tone controls.

16. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the tone control. BJ has some real mojo when it comes to his tone controls. The Body on the LGW is very different than anything I've used in a single knob tone control.

17. Don Rusk

Yeah the BBODs real heart is the touch response you get about 10 oclock on the dirt knob, and being able to really control the complexity of the dirt with your finger pressure --- and thats why its also a great stacker when its first ~ you can manipulate the dirt and then run it into a different sound for anew overall tone

18. carltonh

carltonh Member

While I didn't think the MI Audio BBD after the BBOD added anything significantly different, I tried the Tube Zone after the BBOD. Very different! The BBOD and Tube Zone are extremely different pedals. I was suprised that they blended so well. The combination tone is also rather unique. I didn't play it enough yet to get an idea how to describe it.

Anyone else have these two? Try it!