Odd idea, amp with two of the same channel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingrazor, Jan 3, 2018.

1. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Just wondered if anyone had thought of having an amp with two channels that are identical, but with independent volume controls? Might work with the right preamp design.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Member

I’m curious why you would want such an amp. Couldn’t a clean boost be used with a single channel amp to the same effect?

3. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Probably. I guess it would depend on the range of gain available in the preamp.

4. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

I've seen one or two plexi-era Marshall PA amps with at least 4 sets of inputs (4 pairs of two) and 4 volume controls. I'm not sure if all the channels were voiced the same or not. I could see this being a cool thing.

5. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

IF you disregard the effects, all of those two channel BF/SF reverb amps are that to the extent that they are voiced exactly alike. As for having two channel exactly alike in all respects, I respectfully ask "Why?" Unless there is also a stereo output..one for each channel as in the Gibson GA-78/79. Then, the stereo thing makes the identical channels make sense to me.

6. thosk

thosk Member

Fender '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb.

7. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I don't know, was just curious. Isn't the vibrato channel usually brighter than the normal channel on BF/SF reverb amps?

8. Serenity

Serenity Member

Only reason i could see for wanting this is if you could stack the channels, much like on the Supro Statesman.

9. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Actually that sounds like a cool idea

10. awardsjake

awardsjake Member

I believe the two channels on a Kelley FACS amp are identical. When the attenuator is used to attenuate the cranked channel you have a pretty special amp.
    Jake

davidespinosa, 5992 and voodoosound like this.
  11. Serenity

Serenity Member

Check out the demo of the Statesman. You get a Thunderbolt and Comet preamp, can be used independantly or stacked. The effects loop and reverb are only available for the Comet side.

12. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

As I understand it, those two channels are voiced differently and the reverb is on both channels. The trem is bias vary and so acts on the output section and is common to both channels. That voicing of the channels is important...and is in contradiction to the OP's stated question. Those two channels are not alike.

There is an added gain stage in those vintage two channel reverb amps...and their reissues. the effects eat up some of that gain, but there is a difference in that aspect...and that Vib channel exhibits that difference even though the tone stacks are alike.....but for the lack of a mid control in the Normal channel in those amps that have a mid contro in the Vib ch.

IN non-verb trem amps, the Normal channel actually has more 'life' and output compared to the Vibrato channel due to the suck from the trem circuit.

blackba and JustABluesGuy like this.
  13. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

Not to put words in the OP's mouth, but I could think of a bunch of uses for two separate but identical channels, especially if they had separate EQ - guitar changes made easy (i.e., no more splitting the difference between preferred settings for different guitars); optimizing eq for rhythm/lead changes (i.e., actually cut bass on a Fender with more volume, etc.); laying out different effects lines that feed each channel with proper gain staging and switching between them easily. This would have been a very cool feature when I was playing in situations where I needed to cover a ton of ground and the bandleader wanted a bunch of different guitars/tunings/etc.

14. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

I can see that..... but.... I like the way the Tone King Imperial goes about it with two channels that are voiced quite differently with the ability to apply the attenuator to only the tweed/Lead channel while leaving that blackface type of channel to do its cleaner thing.

15. Lance

Lance Member

That would be an Egnater Tweaker 40.

3 Mile Stone likes this.
  16. sleewell

sleewell Member

i would actually love this idea.

the clean channel on my fuchs viper is so awesome and it does everything from super clean to pretty heavy. i would love to have two of the same channels in one amp.

kingrazor likes this.
  17. kherman

kherman Member

The Carvin V3 amps had 3 channels.
    3. was the clean channel.
    1 & 2 are the dirt channels and are identical. But, each has switches to allow "you" to voice them differently to your tastes.

[​IMG]

HoboMan and Mayhem13 like this.
  18. Graffiti Yellow

Graffiti Yellow Member

If memory serves me I believe Soldano will make you dual overdrive SLO.

jdel77 likes this.
  19. BadHiwatt

BadHiwatt Member

The Kelley facs is that way, and its amazing. The attenuator can be on one channel, both channels, or neither channel

davidespinosa and voodoosound like this.
  20. Waldo Nova

Waldo Nova Member

Mesa/Boogie JP2C has two identical channels already.